Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 00:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help Setting Up 60D & Lightroom Default Import Settings

samefly
246 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 23, 2012 00:34 |  #1

I have a 60D and Lightroom 3.6. I'm trying to set everything up so that I can get my RAW photos to appear in LR as close as possible to how they appear on the 60D's LCD. I read the FAQ about how the camera's preview image is different from what Lightroom displays and that you need to set up a default developer setting to help with this. So, assuming that my monitor is properly calibrated (which I doubt is), what steps should be taken to try to best match both camera and LR?

CURRENT 60D CAMERA SETTINGS: (should something be adjusted in camera?)
Quality: RAW
Picture Style: Neutral
Color space: sRGB

CURRENT LIGHTROOM DEFAULT IMPORT SETTINGS: (what should they be set to?)
White Balance: As Shot (LR's white balance is definitely not showing "as shot")
Camera Calibration Profile: Neutral (gets me close but not exact)
Brightness: +50 (still is darker than what's on LCD)
Contrast: +25
Sharpening:
(Amount: 25)
(Radius: 1)
(Detail: 25)
All other developer settings are @ 0

Images are still a bit to dark. I Find myself still needing to adjust brightness/exposure levels (not to create a properly exposed image but one that matches what I see in camera). Also color vibrance and white balance are definitely off. I could use some help getting everything set up. I understand that because of the software differences between canon and adobe that it won't be perfect but I'd definitely like to get closer. What settings have you found to best work for you?

daru photography (external link)
facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 23, 2012 02:23 |  #2

What you see on the camera LCD is a jpg. If you want photos that look like jpgs, shoot jpgs. If you want photos that look better than jpgs, shoot Raw and forget the LCD.

Elie / אלי

renlok
249 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 23, 2012 04:46 |  #3

Don't worry to much about trying to get your lightroom to present images close to your camera lcd because you wont be showing people your images on you camera.

Renlok (external link) | G+ (external link)
Canon 70D | Canon 5D MKii | 35L | Sigma 24-105 | 100L | 85 | Sigma 150-500

Player9
658 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 23, 2012 07:52 |  #4

Change the import setting to Digital Photo Professional.

60D, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, EF-S 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, EF 28mm f/1.8, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro, EF 85mm f/1.8, 430ex, 220ex, Alien Bee B400 (2), Alien Bee B800 (2)

paddler4
Goldmember
1,321 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 23, 2012 07:56 |  #5

so that I can get my RAW photos to appear in LR as close as possible to how they appear on the 60D's LCD.

I think this is a waste of your time. Camera LCDs tend not to be very accurate, even in exposure. (That's why most people use a histogram, not the image on the lcd, to gauge exposure). Think of it this way: the lcd is just a low-quality thumbnail of a relatively arbitrary jpeg. If you are shooting raw, forget about it and take advantage of the raw's flexibility to get the edited image to look like you want it to.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 23, 2012 11:21 |  #6

Also, lower the LCD brightness, unless you are shooting in bright sunlight.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 23, 2012 15:41 |  #7

samefly, the one thing in LR that you can experiment with is setting the Camera Calibration profile to something such as Camera Standard, and then maybe tweaking some of the settings to get to where you are pleased with the LR preview, and then you can use those settings as the LR defaults by, in the Develop module, holding down the Alt/Opt key and the far right button will change from Reset to Set Default, and will give you some options when you click that button.

I'm suggesting Camera Standard because, for one thing, that is the Canon out-of-factory default, so probably what you are using in your camera. You will notice that the profiles listed in the Camera Calibration panel include the various settings like Neutral, Landscape, etc, and you are free to play with those settings, although for my taste Landscape goes a bit over the top. In fact, I tend to just keep LR in the default Adobe Standard profile and just do my adjustments from there. And, I keep my camera set to the Neutral Picture Style and my Contrast (and Saturation) to -4. But I have older bodies with small LCDs and I don't use the LCD to "judge" exposure except for the occasional use of the histogram and highlight "blinkies". I don't compare the LCD to my Lightroom preview!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 23, 2012 15:44 |  #8

René Damkot wrote in post #14620889 (external link)
Also, lower the LCD brightness, unless you are shooting in bright sunlight.

I need to do this. The LCD is a dang liar... and I KNOW it's a liar, and it still gets me WAY too often.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links

6,049 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help Setting Up 60D & Lightroom Default Import Settings
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.