Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 02:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Offered work but have a creative block!!!!!!!!

lensfreak
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 23, 2012 02:58 |  #1

Hi,

Today I was offered the chance to shoot some work for a local sporting venue.

The venue is just plain bloody ugly and run down and very poor look. What do I do?

The reason I am asking the forum is that once I have shots they are to be submitted for approval. I know the approved is quite picky and basically asked me to make a lump of clay look like a nugget of gold.

Should I just pull out and decline the offer?

They want photos in two weeks. Could this turn into a not happy shoot again, not happy shoot again and so on episode?

Den

sponsored links
banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 23, 2012 03:13 |  #2

...well: what have you been asked to shoot? What was the brief? What have you said you will deliver?

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 23, 2012 03:22 |  #3

Did they give you any idea what kind of photos they want?

It might be possible to take shots from further away, putting the venue in perspective of the entire neighborhood, using the distance to hide flaws.
If they do have any areas at all that are in decent repair you might be able to highlight those.
Is the artificial lighting any good? If so Night shots might help hide weak areas while still showing off how good it looks in the artificial lighting.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 23, 2012 03:23 |  #4

lensfreak wrote in post #14619740 (external link)
Hi,

Today I was offered the chance to shoot some work for a local sporting venue.

The venue is just plain bloody ugly and run down and very poor look. What do I do?

The reason I am asking the forum is that once I have shots they are to be submitted for approval. I know the approved is quite picky and basically asked me to make a lump of clay look like a nugget of gold.

Should I just pull out and decline the offer?

They want photos in two weeks. Could this turn into a not happy shoot again, not happy shoot again and so on episode?

Den

In any case, just make sure that you can give them what they need. Get as good an idea as possible of what they want, and then ask yourself if you can deliver that to them. If you don't think you can do that, then back out as soon as possible.

You don't sound too confident, you don't sound too committed, and you also don't sound like you NEED the work. From that alone I sort of suspect that you probably shouldn't bother. But I could be wrong about that. In any case, do not screw over your client. If you're not competent enough to do it, then backing out ASAP is FAR better than pissing them off by botching the job. And if you're going to back out, the respectful thing to do is to do it as soon as possible so that you don't leave them hanging.

lensfreak
THREAD ­ STARTER
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 23, 2012 03:55 |  #5

I do need the work, it's just that they just said for to shoot really amazing and modern style shots. The building is butt ugly and run down where it doesn't even look modern, artsy or architecturally sound anyway.

I suppose what I am trying to ask is what do you do when asked for a shoot and you feel you won't be able to deliver because the subject will not in anyway look as requested?

lensfreak
THREAD ­ STARTER
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 23, 2012 04:00 |  #6

The person who offered me the job is extremely picky and I have a gut feeling I may have been given the too hard short straw as there are other photogs that shoot for this person exclusively and feel I may be the sucker with the hard job. The person offering me the job was calling me names like professional, master and " your work just shines"

My work doesn't shine nor am I a master. My gut feeling is that they were kissing my rear end to try and get me to shoot a shot the other usuals said was too hard.

Den

tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep
2,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 23, 2012 04:04 |  #7

I'm guessing you've been asked to shoot photos of the establishment? Not actual sporting activities? No quite clear..

Ewan
SONY A7r
1N - 5D2 - 15 2.8 - 17-40L- 24LII - 50L - 85 1.8 - 70-200 2.8
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.com (external link) - facebook fanpage (external link) - twitter (external link) - 500px (external link)

lensfreak
THREAD ­ STARTER
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 23, 2012 04:07 |  #8

Correct, I have been asked to shoot a building that looks like its ready for demolition. Picture an old ugly tin shed with no signs or attractive elements.

tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep
2,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 23, 2012 04:13 |  #9

Might as well give it a go! The worst that happens is they don't like them and you both move on.
Make sure you go when the weather/lighting is nice, and do your best really

Ewan
SONY A7r
1N - 5D2 - 15 2.8 - 17-40L- 24LII - 50L - 85 1.8 - 70-200 2.8
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.com (external link) - facebook fanpage (external link) - twitter (external link) - 500px (external link)

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 23, 2012 05:36 |  #10

lensfreak wrote in post #14619840 (external link)
Correct, I have been asked to shoot a building that looks like its ready for demolition. Picture an old ugly tin shed with no signs or attractive elements.

...I think you missed my question in post two.

What was the brief?

Be specific with your client, find out what they want you to shoot, get it in writing and then go out and shoot it! Be as specific as you can. Tell him what you can do and what you can't.

But it looks like you are shooting on spec, and will only get paid if they like your photos, which to be honest isn't the best way to do business. However what that does mean is there really isn't any pressure on you at all so you should just go out there and shoot as closely as possible to the brief as you can.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 23, 2012 06:24 |  #11

Post a few shots -- see if someone here can pick a few angles to hit which would make it look better.

Or, try shooting it in very soft light... just curious how bad it really is.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 23, 2012 07:15 as a reply to  @ S.Horton's post |  #12

When I was a neophyte at photography I subscribed to the theory that we were to capture reality with all it's blemishes...now my goal is to take those blemishes and make them attractive...somehow..​.different angles or viewpoints or whatever.
However, having said that...I now uaually shoot only interesting beautiful things. :lol:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,153 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 23, 2012 08:26 |  #13

? Low light, B&W such as Film noir style
Good luck!

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,648 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 23, 2012 10:35 |  #14

sometimes you have to bet on yourself, do the shoot, submit the photos and see what happens. i have a gut feeling the outcome will be very positive.

sponsored links

1,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
Offered work but have a creative block!!!!!!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.