Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 02:45
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "I have upgraded from 5D MKII and see..."
Significant improvement in overall IQ
6.2%
Significant improvement in high ISO performance
14.8%
Significant improvement in DR
0%
Phenomenal AF and higher FPS rate
44.4%
Minor improvements overall, not a revolution
17.3%
Not practical improvements over 5D MKIII and I did not upgrade
17.3%

81 voters, 81 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade from 5D MKII to 5D MKIII - worth it?

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 23, 2012 02:45 |  #1

I am considering an upgrade from MKII to MKIII and I wanted to ask people with this experience. I am only doing people photography (mostly ambient light) and landscapes, nothing else. I am also using Zeiss MF lenses.

What is your experience with the upgrade? Where you see the biggest difference?
Is it worth additional $$$ over 5D MKII?

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

sponsored links
tunin
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 23, 2012 03:12 |  #2

Since I am one of the up-graders I would chose the missing opt above "Significant improvement in pretty much everything"

I sold the 5d2 in late March, got on the preorder list of BHphoto, got one of the first kits that were out (with the light leak opt. :)) and I loved it ever since parallel with the 1dmk3 that I had as the body #2. I then sold the 1dmk3 (got a great deal, I could not resist) and got a used 5d2 as body #2.

I am not young enough to know everything. O.W.
www.medjugorje.net (external link)
*** Amateur tools ***

newporthomie
Goldmember
4,175 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 23, 2012 03:21 |  #3

Done it - Do it

light_pilgrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 23, 2012 03:29 |  #4

Thanks-) Can you be a bit more specific describing what is significant improvement in every area? It is a bit subjective to me and not very helpful-)

tunin wrote in post #14619769 (external link)
Since I am one of the up-graders I would chose the missing opt above "Significant improvement in pretty much everything"

I sold the 5d2 in late March, got on the preorder list of BHphoto, got one of the first kits that were out (with the light leak opt. :)) and I loved it ever since parallel with the 1dmk3 that I had as the body #2. I then sold the 1dmk3 (got a great deal, I could not resist) and got a used 5d2 as body #2.

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Jun 23, 2012 06:39 |  #5

It was worth it to me. I went back and compared my previous 5D2 and 1D4 files to my 5D3. IQ ang high ISO are definitely improved (raw). The colors, graduations and sharpness are better. High ISO is better at 6400 and up. AF keeper rate is higher - even better than my 1D4.

However, I really miss the 10fps burst I could get with my 1D4. I shoot sports so my timing has to be that much more precise. 6fps is adequate but I wouldn't want to go any slower.

Disclaimer: I was never a fan of the 5D2. Loved some of the images, but hated the experience getting the images with a 5D2. YMMV

Jason

swldstn
978 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 23, 2012 07:13 |  #6

I upgraded and I would recommend it if the new features/improved performance is what you want.
Great new AF was a really big help to me. Also, really like the in camera HDR. I don't always keep the HDR image but it really helps getting the 3, 5 or 7 images I want for out of camera HDR as well.
Love the new ability to take more than 3 shots for exposure bracketing. I always use a grip so the new one for this camera is very will designed. Not sure though if I would consider it replacement for a 1D Mk IV for sports or BIF. Happy I upgraded.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

Fodowsky
591 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 23, 2012 07:41 |  #7

It was definitely worth it to me. Much better AF, higher usable ISO and higher FPS improved my keeper rate. It has minimally the excellent IQ of my 5D2 with better functionality and features to help me get the shot. No regrets.

Gear and Feedback

foster2380
228 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 23, 2012 07:46 |  #8

Subscribed, hopefully only those who actually upgraded will keep replying and not those who hate on the mark iii without ever owning it.

gvg45
534 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 23, 2012 09:10 |  #9

Loved the Mark2 but wanted to be able to use the outer focus points. Mark3 AF is outstanding! Worth the upgrade for me.

~Greg

light_pilgrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 23, 2012 16:29 |  #10

Looks like majority of folk upgraded because of AF and a lot find this canera a minor update, not a revolution

Fodowsky
591 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 23, 2012 16:49 |  #11

light_pilgrim wrote in post #14621830 (external link)
Looks like majority of folk upgraded because of AF and a lot find this canera a minor update, not a revolution

At present the n=21 in a very subjective poll... not sure I'd be drawing any conclusions...

Gear and Feedback

Anthon
267 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 23, 2012 17:01 |  #12

Greatest improvements of mark III are faster FPS, better AF and better noise performance.

For your needs, you don't really need fast FPS or AF.

Some rhetorical questions/suggestions:
Do you think you need better noise performance? Is it worth the extra money? What's the opportunity cost - maybe there is something else, that will improve your photography more? (I see you don't have a fast 50mm. A fast 85mm perhaps? For ambient light you need more primes)

Canon 5D mark II Gripped / 17-40mm f4 L / 24-105mm f4 L / Canon 70-200 f4 L / Samyang 14mm 2.8 AE / Pentax SMC 50mm f1.7 / Pentax SMC 28 2.8 / Canon Speedlite 600ex-rt / Canon Speedlite 580ex II / YN560 II

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,369 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 23, 2012 17:03 |  #13

it is an improvement in everything plus a load of other useful functions added.

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 23, 2012 20:16 |  #14

The survey doesn't let me check multiple boxes - here's what I see...

Awesome improvement in AF
Significant improvement in frame rate
improvement in high ISO performance, which works well with the new AF
Improvement in white balance
Improvement in metering
More functionality

Interestingly, when I bought the original 5D, I made it a point to carefully compare it to the 1D2 that I had before. With the 5D2, I carefully compared it to the 5D. With the 5D3, I took a few hundred shots, and immediately sold the Mk II - not because it's a bad camera, but because the Mk III just impressed me in use. I never really took the time to do the one-on-one comparison. I was that happy with the III.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

omegaone
133 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 23, 2012 21:03 |  #15

I was thinking to switch to Nikon when I was using 5d2. 5d2 AF is just way too slow and the only reliable focus only on the center

Now I bought 5d3. Love it very much. Switch to Nikon? no way...

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 f4L | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 85 f1.2L II | 100 f2.8L IS
Flashes: Phottix Indra500 | 580EX I | 580EX II with Phottix Odin and Godox Winstro AD360
Fuji XT1 Black | | Fujinon 18-135 f3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon 10-24 f4 OIS | Fujinon 56 f1.2
Erwin Sajudi Photography (external link)

sponsored links

9,212 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrade from 5D MKII to 5D MKIII - worth it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.