Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Feb 2012 (Monday) 01:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Pocketwizard PlusIII

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,077 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 21, 2012 21:51 |  #61

That plastic foot breaking is better than other stuff breaking IMHO. That is why it designed like that. Just like hot shoe mount of the canon flashes. Even being metal it breaks to repvent damage to the flash and camera hot shoe.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,833 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 21, 2012 22:01 |  #62

bobbyz wrote in post #13940601 (external link)
That plastic foot breaking is better than other stuff breaking IMHO. That is why it designed like that. Just like hot shoe mount of the canon flashes. Even being metal it breaks to repvent damage to the flash and camera hot shoe.

Ya thats the excuse I got from the Canadian PW supplier (daymen).

IIRC canada has 5 year warranty on the PW products. They will cover the broken foot but it takes time to ship to them. I'd rather buy it and replace it myself.

The small package of the PW doesn't warrant excuses of using a brittle foot. Its so small I dont see the concern of major damage if they used a metal foot. If so the canon 580ex2 and 430exii should have put a plastic foot but canon did not.

just a pet peeve of mine. I'm not too excited about the plus III's but I guess they are a fresh item to go against the offshore triggers thats taking market share.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

mchong75
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 21, 2012 22:07 |  #63

bobbyz wrote in post #13940601 (external link)

^ + 11111111

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 21, 2012 23:09 |  #64

AlanU wrote in post #13940688 (external link)
Ya thats the excuse I got from the Canadian PW supplier (daymen).

IIRC canada has 5 year warranty on the PW products. They will cover the broken foot but it takes time to ship to them. I'd rather buy it and replace it myself.

The small package of the PW doesn't warrant excuses of using a brittle foot. Its so small I dont see the concern of major damage if they used a metal foot. If so the canon 580ex2 and 430exii should have put a plastic foot but canon did not.

just a pet peeve of mine. I'm not too excited about the plus III's but I guess they are a fresh item to go against the offshore triggers thats taking market share.

The Canon foot is metal, but it's just *barely* attached inside, I wish I would have taken a better pic of the internal part, it's only attached by 4 small plastic points. It breaks fairly easily. I've broken my fair share of them from little impact. I've bumped into people and ripped it right out. I bent over to pick something up with my camera strapped around my neck and the result is what you see when the flash hit my bed.

Any stronger and you risk damaging the shoe of the camera, which I've had happen as well. That repair wasn't cheap, either.

The 580EX II shoe really isn't any more durable than anything else I've owned, and the frustrating part is the metal foot assembly is 40 bucks vs 8 for the plastic.

I've often wondered if it would be possible for them (PW) to make semi-rigid silicone one that would simply flex and rip out of the shoe rather than break upon impact.

You're really towing a fine line with these things. You have to find a balance that will not break the camera, or the entire housing of the unit.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,833 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 22, 2012 00:53 |  #65

bdillon wrote in post #13941197 (external link)
The Canon foot is metal, but it's just *barely* attached inside, I wish I would have taken a better pic of the internal part, it's only attached by 4 small plastic points. It breaks fairly easily. I've broken my fair share of them from little impact. I've bumped into people and ripped it right out. I bent over to pick something up with my camera strapped around my neck and the result is what you see when the flash hit my bed.

Any stronger and you risk damaging the shoe of the camera, which I've had happen as well. That repair wasn't cheap, either.

The 580EX II shoe really isn't any more durable than anything else I've owned, and the frustrating part is the metal foot assembly is 40 bucks vs 8 for the plastic.

I've often wondered if it would be possible for them (PW) to make semi-rigid silicone one that would simply flex and rip out of the shoe rather than break upon impact.

You're really towing a fine line with these things. You have to find a balance that will not break the camera, or the entire housing of the unit.

Ouch!!!!

its ok I've already have a history of grenading the cct boards on MANY 580EXii flashes (all purchased brand new).

Maybe thats why daymen in Canada supports those triggers under warranty for so many years.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 22, 2012 01:08 |  #66

I've yet to do that, but for some reason lately I keep breaking those damn feet off the flash. I think my average has been one a month for the past 6 months. I actually keep a spare assembly around now.

ROGERWILCO357
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 22, 2012 09:19 |  #67

happy with my plus2's love the antennae . Not to crazy about the new design but like the features may try them out for the price .

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

oharing
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 23, 2012 16:30 |  #68

Does the Pockewizard Plus III take the same cable as the Plus II?

Miami Wedding Photographers (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 23, 2012 16:58 |  #69

yes

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

oharing
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 23, 2012 17:46 |  #70

MT Stringer wrote in post #14621906 (external link)
yes

Thanks! :)

Miami Wedding Photographers (external link)

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 27, 2012 11:46 |  #71

ok, i got some PW plusIIIs in the mail, and this is my first foray into the world of radio triggers. a couple of questions:

1 - how can i use these to trigger my 580EX I?
2 - i wish there was a way to adjust the power of the flashes from the camera...doesn't seem possible unless i am missing something.
3 - i know these are non-ETTL, but it will fire the flashes if they are left on ETTL mode. what output are they firing at? random? full power?

so far i like them. they have fired every time i've tried them.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 27, 2012 12:04 |  #72

They are just triggers. You adjust the power of your flash output manually.
You might need a screw lock cable or do as I did and get a hot shoe adapter for the flash. Flashzebra .com has the parts.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,029 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2012 12:08 |  #73

narlus wrote in post #14639617 (external link)
ok, i got some PW plusIIIs in the mail, and this is my first foray into the world of radio triggers. a couple of questions:

1 - how can i use these to trigger my 580EX I?
2 - i wish there was a way to adjust the power of the flashes from the camera...doesn't seem possible unless i am missing something.
3 - i know these are non-ETTL, but it will fire the flashes if they are left on ETTL mode. what output are they firing at? random? full power?

so far i like them. they have fired every time i've tried them.

the original 580 EX doesn't have a sync port. you'd need to get an adapter.

something like this: http://www.amazon.com …&keywords=flash​+sync+port (external link)

can't adjust power of the flash from your camera. if you want that capability (along with off-camera ETTL), get Pixel Kings or Phottix Odins.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN |

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 27, 2012 12:17 |  #74

cool, looks like the foot w/ port is the way to go.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,689 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 27, 2012 20:24 |  #75

I'm waiting for Pocket Wizard to upgrade the TT5 and Flex units so they are completely compatible with the 580EXII (and, maybe, the new 600EX-RT). I used the PWII forever but got tired of not being able to change my OCF settings without having to walk over to them. This led me to the TT5 units (and the AC3 Zone Controller). After two years of using the TT5s, and having about a 65% success rate (meaning my 580EXII fired about 65% of the time, off-camera), I decided to get three of the 600EX-RT speedlights. So far these have been great, even when used in conjunction with my 5D2 (I can use HSS with them and I can achieve max-sync speed when I'm not using HSS; both of these are considered not possible, according to the 600EX-RT manual, but the manual is wrong).

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

sponsored links

15,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Pocketwizard PlusIII
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.