Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jun 2012 (Friday) 21:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D, 5D II, 5D III gallery observation

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,198 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 23, 2012 16:56 |  #31

BryantFC wrote in post #14621876 (external link)
And honestly, i'm not a Nikon hater or Canon fanboy either. I was actually planning on buying a D800 but couldn't get a hold of one due to the huge backorder list. But imo, i feel like people expect a bit WAY too much out of this camera. At first, i wasn't that impressed but i bought this camera to use it for what it was made to do. Higher ISO and AF and FPS. I mean do people do the same b/s crap and hate on Rebels every time they upgrade them each and every following year?

No but people who buy rebels mostly don't know what dynamic range is, half of them don't know what ISO is for and use Auto. People who are serious about getting the most from their shots expect innovation, hell we are willing to pay for it most of the time, but this time I refuse to spend that much on what is basically an AF upgrade. I am very close to making the switch but cannot part with my 500 f4, even for a 200-400 f4. You see, I make descision on the glass I need, which in the end gets the sharp shot or not. I want a D800 and 200-400, I need 500mm.... :confused:

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

sponsored links
BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 23, 2012 17:00 |  #32

Well. I mean I think all the shots i've seen with a Leica M9 sucks and it doesn't even have autofocus. What's the point in that huge 8K price tag of a compact FF rangefinder? *rolleyes.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,198 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 23, 2012 17:04 |  #33

BryantFC wrote in post #14621916 (external link)
What's the point in that huge 8K price tag of a compact FF rangefinder? *rolleyes.

Becasue Leice takes the meaning of Fanboy to a whole new level. :rolleyes:

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 23, 2012 17:07 |  #34

Neilyb wrote in post #14621928 (external link)
Becasue Leice takes the meaning of Fanboy to a whole new level. :rolleyes:

Haha, that is true!

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

Tealtele
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 23, 2012 17:35 |  #35

jonneymendoza wrote in post #14621541 (external link)
u got a used 5d2 for half teh price of a mk3? teh seller screwed you it seems as in the UK u can get a brand new yes brand new mk2 for half the price of a 5d3 lol

Well I'm not in the UK...lol. I watched ebay prices for about a week before jumping on one. New ones are still hard to find for less than $2k here. It did come with 2 extra batteries and a LCDVF though.

edit: I wonder if a "new" 5d2 is half the price of your 5d3 because 5d3 is actually more expensive there than here? Not sure.

hhuy888
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 23, 2012 18:10 |  #36

BryantFC wrote in post #14621761 (external link)
noone said it was. i'm just poking fun around :confused: I know the OP isn't hating on 5d3 users, but holy crap. Ever since that camera came out, it's nothing but foul mouthing on it.

i totally agree with you. I don't know why so many people who never even use, nore touch the camera, but have so much to say (or foul mouth) it.
i loved my 5d2's before, but had to work around their AF system and kept wishing the 5d2 had better AF.
Now the 5d3 has everything that 5d2 had with great AF system and more: better files (no need to sharpen in most cases), better speed, better grip, better ISO,... and the silent shooting mode which i really like.
I was going to keep one 5d2 to shoot along with the new 5d3, but I love the 5d3 so much; therefore the remaining 5d2 had to go as well to make space for another 5d3.

As far as comparing images from the 5d1, 5d2 and 5d3 cameras of course it will take time for people to test shoot and learn the mark iii first, then the serious photos will come for sure.

hhuy

sf_loft
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 23, 2012 20:01 |  #37

OP here... Just wanted to add that I would have been fine with my 5D II, heck probably even with my original 40D. I'm still using the center focus point for 80% of my shots even when I have 61 available. With that said, 3 things that I felt was worth the upgrade based on my experience with the 5D II.

1) Low light focus - Even when I still use the center single AF point for the majority of my shots, I am able to focus in low light. I have lost so many photos with my 5D II because I couldn't focus in low ambient light.

2) 6 FPS - My first DSLR camera was the 40D. I learned everything there is to know about DSLR photography on that camera and I found the frame rate to my liking. When I upgraded to the 5D II, 3.9fps didn't allow me to take hand-held HDR or capture fast moving objects for the times that I needed to. With the 5D III, I now have the speed I need again. I considered getting the 1Dx, but I didn't need 11fps and would rather have more resolution and a compact body for portability.

3) Better ISO performance - I just came back from Hong Kong & Bali and not once did I take out my tripod. I don't even know why I brought it with me to only add weight and space to my luggage. I was able to take clean photos, handheld at night, with little noise.

Was it worth the upgrade or the extra $1000 over the 5D II? I don't know, to me yes but it may not be worth $1000 more or a whole new $3500 to others. I was able to sell my 5D II for $1,700 which I think is pretty good for an electronic gadget that has been used for 4 years. That's $900 of depreciation in 4 years of ownership! If you compare the 5DIII to the D800, it is not worth the extra cost IMO. Both good cameras, but I'm too invested in Canon lenses and will never see myself jumping ship.

Yes it is an expensive camera and there will be haters. There are people who saved up for the 5D II to only have the 5D III be introduced a short time later. Buyers remorse and envy of shiny new things will generate a lot of negativity to justify their purchase. I think people who end up foul mouthing the 5D III or newer versions of their camera are too focused on "specs" / "features" and not so much in perfecting their photography skills. I have never been so serious with any hobby in my life until I picked up my first DSLR. I try to hone my skills by taking classes, workshops, attending meetups to learn from others, and fortunately have a good day job to fund my equipment. I'd like to think that I've improved over time, but I know a 17 year old with an old Nikon entry-level DSLR who can still kick my ass in composition and general artistic value.

It's all about the photographer behind the camera. The camera just allows you to expand your creativity and provide performance to meet your demand. The best thing to do as a photographer is to not read the forums and just get outside and take photos.

If I had to say anything negative about the 5D III is the slight underexposure which many have complained about. I do notice that in some lighting conditions where the 5D II would be spot on, the 5D III tends to underexpose them slightly. I don't think it's a problem, but simply something owners have to get adjusted to as it is a whole new metering system. I just need to review the histogram closer for shots that don't look right on the LCD.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 24, 2012 23:34 |  #38

hhuy888 wrote in post #14622105 (external link)
i totally agree with you. I don't know why so many people who never even use, nore touch the camera, but have so much to say (or foul mouth) it.
i loved my 5d2's before, but had to work around their AF system and kept wishing the 5d2 had better AF.
Now the 5d3 has everything that 5d2 had with great AF system and more: better files (no need to sharpen in most cases), better speed, better grip, better ISO,... and the silent shooting mode which i really like.
I was going to keep one 5d2 to shoot along with the new 5d3, but I love the 5d3 so much; therefore the remaining 5d2 had to go as well to make space for another 5d3.

As far as comparing images from the 5d1, 5d2 and 5d3 cameras of course it will take time for people to test shoot and learn the mark iii first, then the serious photos will come for sure.

So true and they are the same people who say the only reason 5D III owners praise the camera is because we somehow need to justify our purchase. Cracks me up everytime I read that.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 25, 2012 00:36 |  #39

All the good 5d3 photogs are busy out there taking photos than posting up recent snapshots of their dogs/ cats/ children, etc. I've seen stunning photos elsewhere, maybe its just the photographers here in POTN? ;)

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,262 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D, 5D II, 5D III gallery observation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.