Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 10:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dead Photosites?

marzel
231 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 23, 2012 10:34 |  #1

I was looking at some pictures I took last night and noticed that throughout the pictures, there were red noise dots in the EXACT same spots on all the pictures.

Is it possible to have deal pixels/photosites on the sensor thats causing it to show up red artifacts/noise throughout the image? Should this be expected? Can this be fixed? It does it mainly in low light, but also if I have medium room light at high ISO. I notice a specific set of red dots not moving when I scroll through my images on the computer. I know its the sensor because the red pixels are there regardless of where my camera is pointing.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,401 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 23, 2012 10:43 |  #2

These would be hot pixels, not dead ones. Most sensors have them. The manufacturer has a specification as to how many would be tolerable. You'd have to check with them to see if yours is over the limit. Some cameras can map them out.

If you're only seeing these when you're pixel-peeping, then stop doing that. There is no surer road to despair and ruination. I'm sure that I have hot or dead pixels in my three cameras. But I haven't gone on a hunt for them and I've never had reason to clone anything like it out.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

marzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
231 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 23, 2012 10:52 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #3

No pixel peeping. Lots of black in the picture so they really jump out.

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 23, 2012 10:54 |  #4

What body?

marzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
231 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 23, 2012 10:59 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #5

The 7d, made by the Canon Corporation of Tokyo, Japan.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 23, 2012 11:03 |  #6

If you do a manual sensor clean with the body cap on for longer than a minute, it might map them out of the sensor

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 23, 2012 11:04 |  #7

I've read that you can remove the lens, put the body cap on, and go into sensor cleaning mode. Leave in clean mode for a minute or so with body cap on. Do a search for pixel mapping.

marzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
231 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 23, 2012 21:19 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #8

I will try that, but keep in mind this is a brand new 7d from a new shipment from canon that I bought about 3 weeks ago.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 24, 2012 07:06 |  #9

marzel wrote in post #14622680 (external link)
...keep in mind this is a brand new 7d from a new shipment from canon that I bought about 3 weeks ago.

Yep it doesnt matter.
Every sensor will have them.
It's nothing to worry about.
With 18,000,000 pixels if you had as many 50 hot pixels (my guess is that there will be way less than that), you still have 17,999,950 that are fine.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

Skul
92 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 24, 2012 07:30 |  #10

Hot pixels are very common on sensors.
Nothing to really worry about unless the number is quite high and very noticable.
My 5D II has about ten.

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 24, 2012 09:45 |  #11

We had the same thing with LCD monitors for the PC a few years ago, for a 4:3 ratio 15" monitor it could have 4 dead pixels before it became enough of a problem to claim under warranty. Bear in mind the monitor size was 1,024 x 768 for a total of 786,432 pixels, so a few in 18 million isn't a major problem for the industry. Hopefully you can map them out with a manual clean anyway. I don't think I've ever suffered from the problem so far as I've not seen one on my photos, but I know my eyes aren't perfect close up so maybe it's just that I haven't seen one.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 24, 2012 11:12 |  #12

marzel wrote in post #14620708 (external link)
I was looking at some pictures I took last night and noticed that throughout the pictures, there were red noise dots in the EXACT same spots on all the pictures.

Is it possible to have deal pixels/photosites on the sensor thats causing it to show up red artifacts/noise throughout the image? Should this be expected? Can this be fixed? It does it mainly in low light, but also if I have medium room light at high ISO. I notice a specific set of red dots not moving when I scroll through my images on the computer. I know its the sensor because the red pixels are there regardless of where my camera is pointing.

Night shots, hm - did you do long exposures? If so then you'll get hot pixels, even on a brand new sensor, because this is normal.

Do a manual sensor cleaning with body cap on. In menu scroll to the yellow wrench with 2 dots, select Sensor cleaning > Clean manually > OK. Mirror will flip up. Leave in this mode 30-60 seconds. Power off camera, mirror will flip down. Turn camera back on, take a pic with the body cap on so you have a black pic, now check again for hot pixels.

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 24, 2012 11:38 |  #13

Normal, my 5D2 has like 20 of them :(

Try the body cap trick

The guaranteed way of getting rid of them is through a Canon CMOS recalibration. Free under warranty, otherwise costs about the same as a sensor clean.

And as others have said some software e.g. LR gets rid of it automatically

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 24, 2012 12:05 as a reply to  @ smorter's post |  #14

I used the procedure on all three of my bodies after doing long (30 sec to 3+ min) exposures and it cleared up the hot pixels. Sometimes I had to run it twice, but not that often. The way I understand it, the procedure doesn't have power going to the sensor so if cleaning dust with a swab there's no static generated - when power is returned back to the sensor the pixels remap. If hot pixels don't clear up then, as "smorter" pointed out, send body into Canon for service.

marzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
231 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 24, 2012 13:04 as a reply to  @ spotz04's post |  #15

Thanks for the help guys! I'll give that a try!

sponsored links

2,911 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dead Photosites?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.