Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Jun 2012 (Friday) 22:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7 days at disney world... 1 lens?

DarthMTS47
547 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 23, 2012 10:56 |  #16

I did Disney with a S95, and never regretted leaving my 5D at home, except for Animal Kingdom. I found that I was able to shoot at ISO 100 or 200 most of the time, and so the pictures from the S95 are almost as good quality as the 5D - at least to the point that everyone that knows me thought I had taken my "big" camera. So I think you'd be perfectly fine with just the S100.

Also, it's always easier to hand your point-n-shoot to someone for a family photo then it is to explain how to use your SLR... Unless you don't want to be in any of the pictures.

My $0.02.

-Mike

sponsored links
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,696 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 23, 2012 11:02 |  #17

24-105 is my vote.

Shane
flickr (external link)

Kaigler
500 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 23, 2012 12:12 |  #18

DarthMTS47 wrote in post #14620809 (external link)
Unless you don't want to be in any of the pictures.

Except hes going to have the smaller camera anyways.

Canon 5D Mk III - Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 23, 2012 12:21 |  #19

Kaigler wrote in post #14621044 (external link)
Except hes going to have the smaller camera anyways.

Ya I'm pretty sure I'll bring my camera but didn't know how much I want to lug it around and if I want to bring multiple lenses or not.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

firefighter4u
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 23, 2012 22:39 |  #20

The most important thing that you must bring to Disney is patience... nothing else matters. As far as photography is concerned, I would just bring the 17-50 and enjoy the vacation.

7D; 450D; Canon 50 1.4; 70-200 2.8L II; Tamron 17-50 2.8; Tamron 18-270 VC; Genesis 200; 430EX; YN 560II
Please support breast cancer research

Vince(Chatham)
83 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2012 22:53 as a reply to  @ firefighter4u's post |  #21

I went to disney with my 70-200 and only used it at animal kingdom . But not enough the rides don't stop so you just bounce around . Not worth it . Have a great time it's a great place.

Canon 50d/40D/ 2 Canon BG-E2N Grip's //[COLOR=black]100 2.8 Macro /24-105L / Sigma 150-500 mm /Tokina 12-24 F4 /[COLOR=black]50 1.[COLOR=black]8 /Kenko Ext. Tubes /580EX/
Sirui M-3204 Tripod /Sirui K20 [COLOR=black]Ballhead / Beike Gimbal head /Lowepro Computrekker Plus AW and Cotton Carrier.

gojirasf
349 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 23, 2012 23:57 as a reply to  @ Vince(Chatham)'s post |  #22

I have been to Disneyland two times with my wife and kids, and I am very glad that I only brought my S95 each of those times. You have three kids and a whole lot of relatives with you, so enjoy your time with them. There is nothing really unique at the parks, so there is very little reason to lug around your equipment to take the shots that your S100 would have absolutely no problem with on its own. Use the S100 for your snapshots and have a great time with your "dying" father!

α9 | 18/2.8 | 24/1.4 | 55/1.8 | 135/1.8 | 70-200/4 | 100-400/4.5-5.6 | Full Gear List

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 24, 2012 00:09 |  #23

I wouldn't want to drag something the size and weight of a DSLR around those parks. If it were me my wife would bring the Fuji X10 and I would bring the Olympus OM-D E-M5.

The Fuji X10 is small and light and gives great results under almost all circumstances you will find in Orlando. Also, I put a big red soft-release on it so if I want to hand it to someone to take a shot of us I can just put it in EXR-Auto mode, tell them to hit the big red button, and get great results.

For the Olympus OM-D E-M5 I would either bring the 12-50 for general shooting (especially since I could use it to take shots with water splashing everywhere and not worry), and the 20 f/1.7 pancake for when I need a fast lens.

In your situation I would just use the S100 alone, or pick up some other light and good camera to go with it so the wife and yourself can both have one... Like the Fuji X10, Nikon V1+10-30 (most parks) and 30-110 (for Animal Kingdom), Sony NEX, or an M4/3rds. It is going to be some long, hot, and frustrating days, and the less excess stuff you have to carry the better off you will be, and even a 60d + 17-50 is a lot heavier and bulkier than a Compact or Mirrorless and just won't provide better-enough results to justify the trouble.

Some other advice.... Get a small backpack and put a few very cold, if not frozen, bottled waters and some snacks and energy bars in it each morning before you head for the park. Both Disney and Universal let you bring that kind of stuff in, and not having to leave a line because one of the kids gets hungry or thirsty is invaluable. Plus you will also spend less time in food lines trying to get drinks just to avoid dehydration. Instead you will only get in food lines when it is time for an actual meal, which is a huge time and money saver.

My other advice, which you probably can't use, but which I offer to everyone.... The last week of February, running into the first one or two week of March is probably the best time to go to Orlando. Schools generally have breaks centered around Presidents Day, the Equinox, and/or Easter, meaning just before or after this time. Few parents can justify taking their kids out of school right before or after a week long break, so almost nobody goes there at that time. It is also an uncommon time for breaks anywhere else in the world so foreign families with kids are fairly rare as well. Overall things are very slow at that time, making for very short lines for everything. Also the weather should be very good at that time, not as hot as summer, but with little chance of actually getting cold, and relatively little rain as well. So if you can arrange to go at that time of the year I can't recommend it enough...

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

renlok
249 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 24, 2012 00:40 |  #24

My tip is don't bring too much. You will be on you're feet almost the whole day and do ALOT of walking and standing. Depending when you go, lines can get into 1-2hrs long.

At Universal, I had to put my bag in a locker when I wanted to go on some of the rides(not a big issue if you have someone to look after you gear for you).

Some of the rides spray water, so again you have to leave you're camera in a locker or pass it to family members.

Next time I visit any of the theme parks, I'm planning on just taking a waterproof/shockproff P&S and maybe a gopro.

Renlok (external link) | G+ (external link)
Canon 70D | Canon 5D MKii | 35L | Sigma 24-105 | 100L | 85 | Sigma 150-500

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 24, 2012 01:01 |  #25

Meh, I'd say just take the 17-50 and get yourself a gorillapod or ultrapod to shoot the fireworks with, and any night shots you might want to get when things calm down a bit. I would say you will still want the 70-200, but more for the stunt shows at Hollywood studios. ;)
Of course, if you don't see the family much, you may want to take the 70-200 just for the excellent portraits you can get with it.
Personally, I go 3-4 times a year and enjoy shooting at the parks, but I'm not walking around shooting all day. I shoot at night when the girls are crashed out in the stroller or as we walk around during the day.
Just remember that fastpasses are your friend!

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,423 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 24, 2012 10:37 |  #26

For a theme park.... if i had to, it would be the 24-105... or if having the ultimate image quality isn't as important and capturing memories is more important... one of the super comes from Tamron or Sigma.

Me personally, I leave the SLR home and take a point and shoot. The camera you use is the one you have with you. There are a lot of great point and shoots for 1/2 the price of a new lens. I love to take mine on the rides and take action short from the ride itself. Not practical with an SLR. Some of my most fun shots were from the water ride at Animal Kingdome... with water splashing everywhere and my kids having the blast of their lives.

So it really comes down to what do you want to come out of it with. Are you looking for something you can have blown up really big and put on the wall.... then bring a 24-105. Great travel lens. If you want something you can put up on your high def tv for your kids to relive memories.... the point and shoot is the way. I choose ones that are waterproof and have GPS. That way I can shoot anywhere, and I have the locations logged. The last thing I want to be worrying about while taking shots at a theme park is the safety of my gear.... just not worth it to me. I would rather get the shot, than have the camera safely tucked away in hopes of getting that one wall worthy shot.

My 2 cents worth - your mileage may vary.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

dsteve
124 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 24, 2012 11:43 |  #27

Talley wrote in post #14620166 (external link)
I'm honestly thinking that by the time disney rolls around I will pick up a 10-20 or 12-24 and also the 24-105 and just take these two lenses.

If you're willing to handle two lenses, then yes, that makes perfect sense, and it'll work out great.

We did Disneyland last month. We live just a few hours away, so it wasn't a lifetime-thing, and pictures weren't *that* important.

The S100 I got right before the trip was fantastic for snapshots and a few movies. That covers a HUGE amount of ground. Definitely get that extra battery. You will likely be very happy you had it.

I ended up bringing my 5D3 with me, too. Couldn't resist. The key for me was to not lug a lot of lenses around at the same time, so I brought several lenses to the hotel but only took the camera with no other lenses to the park with me. I ended up taking the 24-105 almost exclusively, but I'm on FF. On a crop like you have, I would not have been able to go wide enough...but the S100 would cover that down to 24mm, if that's acceptable to you.

I think perfect one-lens on crop for Disneyland is an EF-S lens that covers the 24-105 range. The 15-55 or whatever the high quality one is.

Can't speak to the other parks.

5D Mark III | 7D | 30D | 10D | D30
10-22 | 16-35L | 35L | 24-105L | 24-70F2.8L II | 70-200F4L IS | 100-400L

CaptB412
208 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 24, 2012 11:43 |  #28

Mr B Pix wrote in post #14620548 (external link)
Take your Tamron 17-50, Point & Shoot, and maybe a flash. Leave everything else at home so that you can enjoy the trip and the kids. Sounds like a wonderful time.

+1 Being 2 1/2 hours away from DWorld and having annual passes I have done the parks with the SLR and the P&S countless times. When I had my 50D I had the 18-200 as my walk around lens (and it did a great job). Yet, looking back at the photos, most of the photos I took were in the ranged covered by your 17-50. As others have said, enjoy the time with family, make them the focal point of the pics (the 17-50 is perfect for this). I may be in the minority here, but I would leave the 70-200 at home. For around $125, I might pick up the 270ex ii flash which works well for closer shots, is very light and doesn't take up much room at all.

5DS R | EOS-R | 5D Mk III | EOS-M5 | G.A.S. Addict | Many Lenses | Flashes |

dsteve
124 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 24, 2012 11:51 |  #29

Oh, you have a Tamron 17-50. That'll take care of Disneyland.

5D Mark III | 7D | 30D | 10D | D30
10-22 | 16-35L | 35L | 24-105L | 24-70F2.8L II | 70-200F4L IS | 100-400L

DaveSt
407 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 24, 2012 12:41 |  #30

We just got back from a Disneyland + San Diego Zoo trip. A couple of years earlier we went to Disney in Florida as well. On that trip I took three lenses and a flash and I was fairly miserable. On this trip I took my 30D and my 15-85 lens and I didn't even pack anything else. I used my Lowepro single shoulder backpack so I could stash the camera in a hurry when riding rides. The 15-85 was plenty of lens and I never felt like I needed anything else. Forget the flash, it is too much of a PITA to put on and off assuming you will be riding rides and not just taking pictures. The on board flash will be fine when you need a little light.

Dave

[30D] [Sigma 30 f/1.4] [50 f/1.8] [EF-S 60] [EF-S 15-85IS] [EF-S 55-250IS] [Sigma EF-500 DG Super]

sponsored links

15,264 views & 0 likes for this thread
7 days at disney world... 1 lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.