Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 14 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 20:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need advice on storage solutions

MichaelAnthonyPhotography
477 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 14, 2012 20:05 |  #1

Ok, we are heating up our wedding workflow, I just purchased a 27" imac with a crucial M4 SSD and 1tb stock hard drive used on FM. Now I want to put together a bulletproof storage system.

I am thinking of a reconditioned Lacie LBD as my working drive, just to work on the images quickly and be able to write quickly to. When I am done and exporting, I want to set up a good system to store, preferably on more than one HD. What type of cost effective solution should I put together? I am photographing weddings and using lots of space, so I would prefer a drive enclosure with reliable internal drives. Speed is no concern for these ones.

Santa Clarita Wedding Photographers - Michael Anthony Photography (external link)
Los Angeles Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 14, 2012 20:36 |  #2

Why are you considering using an external disk for images? Just use the internal disk, and SSD for cache and catalog.

Once you're done with images export them to an external drive for archive.

All hard drives should have an offsite mirror, updated after every major event or weekly when processing. I have multiple internal disks, so if I've been busy I keep backups on my external disks, and I sometimes upload XMP files to my web server.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

MichaelAnthonyPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 14, 2012 22:12 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #3

Sounds good, the idea was to keep the HD clean, but if the OS is on the SSD, I guess there is no need. What about a WD studio mybook II for archives?

If I process in RAID 1, what should I do with the drives when they are full? Keep both and purchase 2 new ones or format 1 and buy only 1 additional one?

Santa Clarita Wedding Photographers - Michael Anthony Photography (external link)
Los Angeles Photography Blog (external link)

Panoz
195 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 14, 2012 22:15 as a reply to  @ MichaelAnthonyPhotography's post |  #4

The big factor is to turn OFF external drives when you not writing or reading from them. External drives are notorious for heat build-up; they use heat sinks rather than fans. Leaving them on all day is a sure-fire way to have them fail.

Canon G12, Canon 5D MkII, Canon 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,520 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 14, 2012 22:39 |  #5

I use a ssd for my OS and programs and an internal HD for my data (2 x 2TB drives in RAID 1). On a regular schedule (using Task Scheduler) that HD is backed up to another internal HD using Microsoft Synctoy (echo). I then have a WD Mybook external drive that I archive to and keep in a different room in my house. If I did this for a living I'd keep it somewhere else like my detached garage.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

GeeMack
778 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 21, 2012 12:07 |  #6

I prefer a NAS to an external hard drive.

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 21, 2012 14:41 |  #7

A NAS will burn like anything else. Remember data needs to be backed up offsite for it to be safe.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

GeeMack
778 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 22, 2012 07:22 |  #8

Bob_A wrote in post #14581357 (external link)
I use a ssd for my OS and programs and an internal HD for my data (2 x 2TB drives in RAID 1). On a regular schedule (using Task Scheduler) that HD is backed up to another internal HD using Microsoft Synctoy (echo). I then have a WD Mybook external drive that I archive to and keep in a different room in my house. If I did this for a living I'd keep it somewhere else like my detached garage.

A NAS can be in a different room or a garage. Just need a network drop (preferably 1G).

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.com (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,520 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 23, 2012 14:53 |  #9

GeeMack wrote in post #14615447 (external link)
A NAS can be in a different room or a garage. Just need a network drop (preferably 1G).

I use a NAS to store media to play on all of the PC's in my home. I don't use it for backup since my desktop that I edit with is wireless N and file transfer with the NAS over wireless is really slow. The Linksys E4200 router that the NAS is attached to is also only USB2, which doesn't help.

If I were wired to my desktop I'd use NAS for backup.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

mjmackinnon
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 23, 2012 15:07 as a reply to  @ Bob_A's post |  #10

The bigger question is how much data do you generate each week. The biggest mistake is not to backup, and I am a very strong believer in having it automatic so you eliminate the human error factor.

I use a Synology NAS drive and have a duplicate drive box at my parents house on the other side of town. My internet provider allows for unlimited network transfers between 1:00am and 6:00am. So during that window I have my NAS blast over a differential mirror for any changes made. As it's sent block, it gives me a roll back backup for any changes made.

I use gigabit ethernet for all the machines and don't find getting files to be much slower than local.

Everything has a cost, and the more you are willing to pay, you can design a system to be much safer than going out on the cheep.

My Flickr (external link) - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

zrock
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 24, 2012 12:23 |  #11

Panoz wrote in post #14581281 (external link)
The big factor is to turn OFF external drives when you not writing or reading from them. External drives are notorious for heat build-up; they use heat sinks rather than fans. Leaving them on all day is a sure-fire way to have them fail.

My seagate network drive is barley warm to the touch if at all. No need to shut them off with their power saving features. I have mine set to sync once a week so the drive rarely comes out of power saving. I always found it better to leave equipment running always had less equipment failure since the equipment was not constantly heating up and cooling down.

I tried a WD external drive and took it back within a week. The power saving was buggy and the drive was extreamly slow

Canon T1i
EFS 18-55mm
EFS 55-250mm
430EX II

sponsored links

1,970 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need advice on storage solutions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.