Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 05:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BG-E11......anybody else disappointed with its design?

lonescout
155 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 24, 2012 15:58 |  #16

jhayesvw wrote in post #14624943 (external link)
I thought the 7d had the door in the back of the grip?
my 60d has the magazine in the side like the new BG E11 but I thought the BG E7 was the old style?

Ooops, my bad!:oops:

Gear still the same. Wife drops in now and again though :cool:.

sponsored links
-dave-m-
493 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 24, 2012 16:27 as a reply to  @ lonescout's post |  #17

Canon must have added a micro switch to the BG-E6 at some point. My gripped 5D MkII shuts down as soon as I move the switch on the grip battery door, hot swapping a battery is not possible. It has a micro switch exactly the same as the BG-E7 for my 7D. Both grips are genuine Canon grips bought at large reputable dealers.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 24, 2012 17:28 |  #18

I hate the canon grips, not because of the battery location, but because of that stupid extension into the battery compartment. It opens the camera up to weather sealing issues and because of the odd shape is difficult to pack. They should have have followed Nikon with their battery grip design, which does not need the battery compartment to be opened up and exposed.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

dexy101
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 24, 2012 18:08 |  #19

Hogloff wrote in post #14624663 (external link)
Do you really replace a battery during a long exposure?

Im just giving a reason why you could do it.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 24, 2012 18:10 |  #20

Paintwerks wrote in post #14623813 (external link)
So, I got my Canon (genuine) BG-E11 battery grip and was dismayed to find that Canon had changed one fundamental aspect of its design/function.

Where as the 5D2's grip allowed you to run one or two LP-E6 batteries, and then switch them out on the fly without having to turn off the camera (as long as one of the two batteries remained in the grip), with the new BG-E11, Canon have moved to a magazine style battery tray that must be removed in order to access either of the two batteries. In doing so, you lose power to the camera.

Any idea why they did this? It's a sucky, fail of a design.

Bad Canon. Bad.

Seriously? I can shoot all day with two batteries and never run out. I doubt the MkIII uses that much more power.

Gear List

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 24, 2012 18:22 |  #21

I just recently got the BG-E11 and love the contour compared to other grips on earlier models. I don't have a problem with the battery access and having to have 2 in the tray. Not sure why anyone would want to swap out a battery in the middle of a shot, movie, or long exposure. Just seems like a nit-picky thing to complain about just to complain about something. If you didn't have the grip and you opened your battery door what do you think happens? People don't buy grips to keep the camera running while you swap batteries. I'd like to see the photos of when that happens.

It's a good grip and high-quality one.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 24, 2012 18:24 |  #22

Couldn't care less. Well-made piece of equipment and having to switch camera off to change batteries is a MINOR concern at best.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 24, 2012 20:24 |  #23

While not a deal breaker, but if we're nit-picking...

I don't like that the distance between the shutter/wheel and AF-ON/BFB are different. Also, don't like that the distance and angle between the AF-ON/BFB and joystick are different. The big canyon between the AF-ON/BFB and joystick on the grip is off feeling for me also. When I slide my finger from BFB to joystick I have to cross the canyon on the grip.

I can deal with it, but it is a bothersome feeling when I switch.

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

swldstn
978 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 25, 2012 05:51 |  #24

More importantly does anyone know where to get a second battery tray for the BG-E11? I would love to be able to put my second set of LP-E6 batteries on one to support quick swapping like the LP-E4s can do on the EOS-1D series.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 25, 2012 06:20 |  #25

I couldn't find any shops that sell it, maybe ask canon if they sell the separately?

The model is BGM-E11L

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

sponsored links

4,064 views & 0 likes for this thread
BG-E11......anybody else disappointed with its design?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.