Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,772 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 25, 2012 01:31 |  #3916

Well done Tim!

What address did you use for your billing address??

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sponsored links
RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 25, 2012 01:38 |  #3917

tim wrote in post #14627593 (external link)
If any of the kiwi guys want to buy CS6 from the US I managed it easy. VPN to the US (I used Astrill), I picked a random US address, signed in with my own Adobe ID, used my own NZ credit card. I did it in the Adobe Volume Licensing business area by mistake but that worked fine, it just took 24 hours for the license to show up, next time I'd use the regular purchase area. In the license area is you click on your client ID then hit search, they don't show up automatically.

But is that in the end a legit licence? Be a waste of time and effort and money if it wasnt.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,772 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 25, 2012 02:14 |  #3918

RobDickinson wrote in post #14627635 (external link)
But is that in the end a legit licence? Be a waste of time and effort and money if it wasnt.

I have US and NZ licenses, all registered to the same Adobe ID and all functioning. :cool:

flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,935 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 25, 2012 02:46 |  #3919

Moppie wrote in post #14627619 (external link)
What address did you use for your billing address??

I only know one address in the US...

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,772 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 25, 2012 02:48 |  #3920

tim wrote in post #14627746 (external link)

Normally the credit card processing checks the address you enter with the one held on file by your bank.
I know ours does, its a pretty standard security check.

flickr (external link)

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 25, 2012 03:27 |  #3921

Don't normally get my 'gear w@nkery' on as I think camera gear means seven shades of **** all when it comes to taking decent pictures, but I had to list the gear I've been using for a recent project at work, as much to collate things as to try and remind the powers that be why exactly I've just ordered heaps of photo stuff.

Story goes that there's a coffee table book being done on the collection at Archives NZ, released in time for Xmas. Much of the gear here is mine, though not all, and every little piece of this collection was used for the work. We've since ordered a few of these bits and a D800 (coming soon) so next time, I won't have to provide all the gear.

Anyway, in that time honoured way of putting a pile of shiney toys in a room, I thought one or two of you might appreciate it.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i117.photobucke​t.com …0POTN/GearforBo​ok_WEB.jpg (external link)

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

tim
Light Bringer
50,935 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 25, 2012 03:31 |  #3922

Adobe volume licensing doesn't...

I look at it this way: I paid the price they asked for a piece of software, with only a minor fib about where I live. I refuse to pay the "foreign countries must pay more" tax.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,669 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jun 25, 2012 03:40 |  #3923

kiwichris wrote in post #14627073 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Nice! one of the old guys at work has something similar in blue...

tim wrote in post #14627746 (external link)

Guantanamo Bay isn't technically the US, although they'd have you believe it is....

good job with the workaround. ;)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,900 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 25, 2012 03:55 |  #3924

manipula wrote in post #14627806 (external link)
Don't normally get my 'gear w@nkery' on as I think camera gear means seven shades of **** all when it comes to taking decent pictures, but I had to list the gear I've been using for a recent project at work, as much to collate things as to try and remind the powers that be why exactly I've just ordered heaps of photo stuff.

Story goes that there's a coffee table book being done on the collection at Archives NZ, released in time for Xmas. Much of the gear here is mine, though not all, and every little piece of this collection was used for the work. We've since ordered a few of these bits and a D800 (coming soon) so next time, I won't have to provide all the gear.

Anyway, in that time honoured way of putting a pile of shiney toys in a room, I thought one or two of you might appreciate it.

QUOTED IMAGE

Holy Cow Batman, that's quite a collection of gear.
I was going to make a comment on the 8 battery powered flashes and only 4 Duracells before I saw all the duracell boxes.

You don't use re-chargeable batterys?

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 25, 2012 04:15 |  #3925

Not in this case. I do personally, but frankly, work were buying the batteries so I'd rather keep the mileage of my stuff as much as possible.

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 25, 2012 04:17 |  #3926

Only goes to show the bodies arnt much of the whole! Lot of kit I would have liked to see a behind the scenes with the lighting.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 25, 2012 04:28 |  #3927

This is about the only one I have that I can show...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i117.photobucke​t.com …a/For%20POTN/me​atwork.jpg (external link)

There are others in the same area doing light painting etc, but the objects themselves are restricted access so that's a bit of a no-no. Closer to release there'll probably also be a video from behind the scenes showing how we light painted part of the building for the cover photo. I'm dying to show that as it's quite cool, but I have to wait til the publisher's train is up to steam so to speak...

Cheers, Dave.

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,900 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 25, 2012 04:43 |  #3928

OOh, that all looks like fun.
Can we quickly go over your lighting there?

You are using the Beauty dish against a gold reflector which is then lighting a diffuser.
The reflector will also be masking the light from behind the object, and concentrating it to the front and sides.
White card is used to fill the shadows.

Would be cool to see the resulting shot.

Are those 2 silver gizmos left and right but behind the camera doing anything?

Peter
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 25, 2012 04:59 |  #3929

Unfortunately the finished shots are for release in the book, so although I have rights to them it would be a bit dumb to release them before the book is out.

But yeah, main light over the top is not strictly a beauty dish, it's just a deep reflector (or bowl if you wanna call it that instead) as it doesn't have the parabolic mirror inside, but it does give a large but directional light source in the same way, but without the dead spot. That's lighting the shoot through white reflector essentially and is doing the same job as a huge softbox above the object would, but frankly I didn't have one. The gold reflector is partly masking the light from the backdrop (and stopping the edge of the glass sheet picking up the light and refracting) and partly putting a wee bit of colour into the top of the carving. (I did try it with the silver and white covers on too.) White blotting paper (and from the different papers I've used at work, blotting paper is good because of the texture, kinda dumbs down shiny reflective highlights a bit as the surface is a big egg-shell like and acts softer somehow) down on the front is to put a shaped (ish) fill-in into the underneath shadow side of the carving. Picture looked woeful without that in...

Two silver gizmos are Kaizer lamps, daylight balanced constant source thingies, and aren't doing anything in this shot. They're part of another setup and I couldn't get them out the way in the area I was working in.

Cheers, Dave.

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,900 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 25, 2012 05:20 |  #3930

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

Peter

sponsored links

867,590 views & 730 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.