Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 21 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 00:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Engagement Shoot

cruleworld
330 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 21, 2012 00:19 |  #1

Took these about 2 weeks ago with one of my friend's sisters and her fiance.

(Just a note these are not the actual crops, just for this collage.)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

JOSH SORENSON|MY SITE (external link)

sponsored links
sexyyoyi
138 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 21, 2012 05:49 |  #2

Great shots

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 21, 2012 08:37 |  #3

very nice, look like a happy couple, like the first one best

Pixil ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 23, 2012 10:13 |  #4

looks good watch your focus

Denver wedding and event photographer (external link)
My photography Blog (external link)

Glueeater
598 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 23, 2012 18:57 |  #5

Pixil Studio wrote in post #14620632 (external link)
looks good watch your focus

A bit purple for me too. Cute pictures though.

FLICKR (external link) // Portfolio (external link)5Diii + 5Dii + 60D | canon17-40/4.0 | | sigma35/1.4 | sigma50/1.4 | sigma85/1.4 | canon70-200/2.8 | yn565+568

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 24, 2012 00:43 |  #6

A couple of things I notice. I understand that you chose to shoot this ambient only--I think this actually makes a lot of sense especially when starting out because it means you can focus on composition, posing, looking for moments. But if you're going to do this, try to shoot from a side that keeps the light a little bit more even on the face as opposed to light cutting through half of the face (see: picture 1 on the gent's face). The second is that whenever you have to make a choice about which of the couple has the better light falling on them, try to go mainly with the female. Note in shot 1 also that although the quality of light might be better on her face (not half lit), the quantity ends up bringing focus to the gent's face. Finally, it looks like you may have been struggling with color balance--or did you push to these colors in post-processing ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

x1zz1x
26 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 24, 2012 04:36 |  #7

Those are cool shots. I agree with the focus. Still looks good though

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 24, 2012 10:56 |  #8

I don't think they're bad for a first time, I like the natural sweetness but the light is a bit hard and although you did a good job exposing for it, it means their faces look a bit under and dark and I don't love the processing either.

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

cruleworld
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 25, 2012 22:49 |  #9

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #14623352 (external link)
Finally, it looks like you may have been struggling with color balance--or did you push to these colors in post-processing?

I used a vintage preset in Lightroom to change the coloring. I also used his shirt to set the white balance manually. So what you may be referring to may have been in post, I'm not clear what your getting at.

The lighting was hard because I had a vision for the field pictures. The background of the field I was using had stuff in the background so I really had 1 angle to shoot from which in hind site didn't work the best as far as lighting goes. I actually brought some lights with me but they didn't work on location when I got there. Stupid battery wouldn't power them anymore.

So in this shot I had my friend (who was the sister of the girl in the pictures) hold the big softbox as a makeshift shade to make the harsh light go away on their faces. Does the lighting look better in this shot?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I agree with all the comments about them being soft, that was the one thing I noticed over and over while editing. Stupid me wanting the background blurred and using my 50mm F1.8.

Ekean
111 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 26, 2012 19:56 |  #10

I agree that the purple cast is not my favorite. Along with watching focus, shooting wide open with more than one person is tricky. They must be on the exact same plane to have both in focus. Plus the 50mm f/1.8 really shines at f/2.8 to f/5.6.

Nikon D3s | Nikon 20 f/1.8g | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | Nikon 85 f/1.8g |

cruleworld
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 27, 2012 02:25 |  #11

Ekean wrote in post #14636781 (external link)
I agree that the purple cast is not my favorite. Along with watching focus, shooting wide open with more than one person is tricky. They must be on the exact same plane to have both in focus. Plus the 50mm f/1.8 really shines at f/2.8 to f/5.6.

Hmm my monitors must not be calibrated correctly, I'm not seeing a purple cast. Weird

PS, I'll have to try using it at F2.8

blurry_image
473 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 29, 2012 13:05 |  #12

nice t-shirt for the special occasion :)

---------------
Chris

sponsored links

2,669 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Engagement Shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.