Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 26 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 15:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flying Fish

Go4EVA!
421 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 26, 2012 15:45 |  #1

I had a great opportunity to go out to Ellington Field (EFD) yesterday and photograph NASA 941 – the Super-Guppy. The Guppy is currently being used to transport a portion of the Space Shuttle (plywood) mockup to the Seattle Museum of Flight. The Space Shuttle Crew Compartment “segment” was loaded last week and the Guppy crew wanted to perform a quick test flight before departing for Seattle tomorrow.

They took off from EFD-35L, made a right turn, flew to Galveston, and then returned to EFD – about 30 minutes total flight time. The only issue encountered was a (small) bird strike up on the “forehead” of the Guppy – the crew reported hearing a “thump,” and we could see the smudge when she taxied back to the NASA ramp.

So "heads up" to any POTN-Seattle members, the Super Guppy is headed your way, and according to the Museum of Flight website, the delivery is open to the public!
http://www.museumoffli​ght.org …huttle-trainer-crew-cabin (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List

sponsored links
Go4EVA!
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 26, 2012 15:46 |  #2

Part 2
Many years ago, I remember attending a presentation speech by NASA Test Pilot Joe Algranti where he spoke about his experiences flying the Super-Guppy. I remember him telling us that the Super-Guppy is the only airplane in the world that “normally” lands nose wheel first. He also told us that during take-off, the main gear lifts off the runway before the nose wheel. I saw both of these events happen today. I was able to photograph the nosewheel landing but didn’t capture the main gear during take-off. I'm going out to EFD tomorrow to try again!

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 26, 2012 15:57 |  #3

I remember him telling us that the Super-Guppy is the only airplane in the world that “normally” lands nose wheel first.

Are there no more tail draggers anymore? Or does it not count when there are two wheels up front?

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

Go4EVA!
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 26, 2012 16:25 as a reply to  @ Thomas Campbell's post |  #4

In my aviation parlance, a Taildragger has two main gear and a tail wheel. A Tricycle gear aircraft has two main gear and a nose wheel. Of course, there are "other" aircraft designed with centerline landing gear such as the B-52 and the U-2. The X-15 used landing skids in the rear, etc. -- I'm sure we can all think of many other variations. ;)

I certainly don't mean to start an argument here -- I was simply quoting what I heard from a respected NASA Test Pilot with many hours in the cockpit of this aircraft. The point being that the Super Guppy has very unique center of lift and center of mass attributes which impact the flying characteristics in off-nominal ways. (I hope that all makes sense.)

Gear List

cupra103
Goldmember
1,216 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 26, 2012 16:57 as a reply to  @ Go4EVA!'s post |  #5

Good work, great to see the old girl still active.

Phil

Cupra
(It's a Seat, the car not the chair!)
My Flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2012 17:01 |  #6

nice shots, what an odd looking thing.

jwol
813 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 26, 2012 17:28 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #7

Cool shots, thanks for sharing. I have a feeling some B-52 drivers would argue Mr Algranti's observation on the nose gear touching first and the mains lifting first.

John Lackey
Fly By Photography (external link)
Blog (external link)

Radial engines don't actually leak oil, by the way. They just mark their territory!

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 26, 2012 17:35 |  #8

Go4EVA! wrote in post #14635756 (external link)
In my aviation parlance, a Taildragger has two main gear and a tail wheel. A Tricycle gear aircraft has two main gear and a nose wheel. Of course, there are "other" aircraft designed with centerline landing gear such as the B-52 and the U-2. The X-15 used landing skids in the rear, etc. -- I'm sure we can all think of many other variations. ;)

I certainly don't mean to start an argument here -- I was simply quoting what I heard from a respected NASA Test Pilot with many hours in the cockpit of this aircraft. The point being that the Super Guppy has very unique center of lift and center of mass attributes which impact the flying characteristics in off-nominal ways. (I hope that all makes sense.)

It does. And that is a funny looking plane.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 26, 2012 17:40 |  #9

The BUFF definitely "rotates" at a negative deck angle... Pretty impressive to see.

Saw FiFi wheelbarrow it onto the active at Deer Valley, AZ a couple years ago. Pretty sure that wasn't normal! :shock:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Go4EVA!
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 26, 2012 18:38 |  #10

jwol wrote in post #14636093 (external link)
Cool shots, thanks for sharing. I have a feeling some B-52 drivers would argue Mr Algranti's observation on the nose gear touching first and the mains lifting first.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14636136 (external link)
The BUFF definitely "rotates" at a negative deck angle... Pretty impressive to see.

Copy all guys! I really wasn't trying to start something. :D
I was just excited to capture the shot with the nose gear tire smoke while the mains were still in the air.

Gear List

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 26, 2012 21:12 |  #11

So is this a plane or blimp? JK awesome and thanks for posting this

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

zoebird
213 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 26, 2012 21:58 |  #12

I've *never* seen a nose wheel landing before! (Well, I almost made one as a student, but. . .) Great work -- fascinating airplane.

Canon 7D; EF 24-105 f/4L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS; EF 300 f/4L IS; EF 100-400 f/4.5L IS
Macros: Canon MP-E 65 f/2.8; EF 100 f/2.8L IS

PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 26, 2012 22:00 |  #13

Interesting find!

sigma pi wrote in post #14637084 (external link)
So is this a plane or blimp? JK awesome and thanks for posting this

That thing is just wrong! :D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

RyanM
751 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 27, 2012 07:53 |  #14

Very cool. Looks to be a modified C130?

Canon 5DMKII w/grip // Canon 40D w/grip // 70-200mm f/2.8L IS // 16-35mm f/2.8L II // 50mm f/1.4 // 85mm f/1.8 // 430 EX ll
My Website (external link)

cicopo
Goldmember
3,485 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 27, 2012 07:57 |  #15

Great shots of a very strange looking plane. Easy to see where it got it's nick name.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

sponsored links

4,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flying Fish
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.