Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 13:58
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Yongnuo Flash Reliability"
I have purchased a Yongnuo flash other than the YN-565EX and it still works.
37.3%
I have purchased a Yongnuo flash other than the YN-565EX and it NO longer works.
1.5%
I have purchased a Yongnuo YN-565EX and it still works.
17.3%
I have purchased a Yongnuo YN-565EX and it NO longer Works.
3.5%
I'm happy with my Yongnuo flash and I would buy it again.
36.2%
I bought a Yongnuo flash, but I would buy a Canon flash if I had it to do over again.
4.2%

160 voters, 260 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Poll: Yongnuo Reliability

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 25, 2012 16:51 |  #31

No flashes her, but I've had rf 602's and 603's with zero issues.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 25, 2012 18:31 |  #32

mtimber wrote in post #14629073 (external link)
I wouldn't regard this poll as too scientific...

I have 6 Yongnuos, but only voted once...

good point, I have three Yongnuos

Allen ­ K
219 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 25, 2012 19:22 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #33

Maybe it's my own understanding of this poll, but to me it confuses the issue.

You're able to vote for two or more choices...I did. But what I DO see is:

1) Of the users who bought a Yn-565...only 3.85% say they "no longer work"

2) Of the users who bought some other YN flash, only 5.13% "no longer work".

This does NOT add up to a ~9% failure rate. It does mean that only ~4% of the YN565 failed and only ~%5 of the other YN flashes failed. Damn good in my book.

Also, on ~7.5% wouldn't buy one again. Tell me another product that has a 92.5% buyer loyalty (yeah, probably Apple, etc. but I hope you get my point.) And I see that Over 50% said they'd buy a YN flash again. 7.5% say they won't, does that mean the remaining won't buy a YN or a Canon??

I love stats!

This was interesting but it actually convinced me that my two YN-560s were totally worth it (still working). I also have a 580exII that I bought during the "Bing-cashback" era a couple of years ago. Brand new ~$270...I'd still question that purchase over a YN565.

Allen - Gear List

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 26, 2012 03:50 |  #34

And to keep it in perspective, I can purchase 5 to 6 Yongnuo 565ex's in the UK for the price of 1 Canon 600RX...

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 26, 2012 04:54 |  #35

I love stats!

Mmm, me too. Especially when you realise that 74.382% of stats are completely invented :oops: Not that I'm suggesting for one moment that these are invented, just that the presentation and sample size are leading to potentially erroneous conclusions.

And to keep it in perspective, I can purchase 5 to 6 Yongnuo 565ex's in the UK for the price of 1 Canon 600RX...

To my mind, much depends on whether you are prepared to pay vastly extra amounts to have the latest male jewellery round your neck or whether you want to actually use the equipment. The YN565EX offers astounding value for money by comparison, unless you actually need HSS (which I've never used in earnest in over 40 years professional practice).

Another perspective: I've just had a new tube put in one of my Metz 54MZ4 units - it cost more than my most recent YN565EX new and the Metz is still an old flashgun (speedlite), just with a new tube.
Shame the user can't get refurbished in the same way :lol:

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 26, 2012 06:16 |  #36

Whortleberry wrote in post #14632870 (external link)
Another perspective: I've just had a new tube put in one of my Metz 54MZ4 units - it cost more than my most recent YN565EX new and the Metz is still an old flashgun (speedlite), just with a new tube.
Shame the user can't get refurbished in the same way :lol:

For the price point, the Yongnuo 565ex is without equal...

You'll be late for everything because the light was right and the action was good (magoosmc)

NYC2BGI
846 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 26, 2012 07:52 |  #37

ultimachi wrote in post #14612600 (external link)
On the contrary I have 3 565EX's. All are working great for me. They've been through weddings, automotive shoots, headshots. They all fire without a hitch.

Same here. I will probably order another one soon. I just hope that one day Yongnuo can do a flash with high speed sync.

Canon 5D3, 5D2, 40D
EF 50mm f1.4, EF 85mm f1.8,
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
http://www.facebook.co​m/HightechPix (external link)

Allen ­ K
219 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 26, 2012 09:05 |  #38

Whortleberry wrote in post #14632870 (external link)
Mmm, me too. Especially when you realise that 74.382% of stats are completely invented :oops: Not that I'm suggesting for one moment that these are invented, just that the presentation and sample size are leading to potentially erroneous conclusions.

I get you...but what one poster said, that there were 15%, 18%, 25% failure rates...I don't know where they accurately got that from the above info.

Allen - Gear List

Glueeater
598 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 26, 2012 15:47 |  #39

mtimber you're convincing me to pickup the 565 that's been in my cart for over a month.

bkj
THREAD ­ STARTER
151 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 26, 2012 15:53 as a reply to  @ Glueeater's post |  #40

Not sure what it means, if anything, but the poll has been "stuck" at seven for the two options for a defective flash since very early in the poll. As more people respond the failure rate keeps going down.

Brad

Gear List

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2012 16:02 |  #41

Just voted. I have two YN-560s that I trigger with Cactus V5 or in optical-slave mode. They both still work.

If I turn on the "beep on power recycle" feature, one of them makes a friendly beep when it's recycled, but the other makes a horrifying squeeeeeaaaaarllllllgg​ghghhh noise.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

MikeinDallas
118 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 26, 2012 16:28 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #42

Had my 565EX for almost a year. working fine. Was thinking about a 2nd one.

I had read there was a newer/improved version.

ThePhotoGadget.com said:
"Yes, we are selling improved NEW version (since May 19th)"

I think I read capacitor reliability improvement. But I can't re-verify where I read that.

Regards
Mike in Dallas (external link)
5D/II, T2i, G11
EF 24-105 L; EF 70-300 f4-5.6L; EF 100 f2.8L, EF 85mm f1.8

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 26, 2012 17:18 |  #43

Glueeater wrote in post #14635595 (external link)
mtimber you're convincing me to pickup the 565 that's been in my cart for over a month.

Make sure you get one of the new ones, details on the 565 thread. :-)

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

DarK_MischieF
84 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 26, 2012 18:03 |  #44

My first 565EX, purchased from Amazon, died in about 100 shots. Took it out for a weekend and by the end the flash wouldn't go, but everything else was still functional.

Got a replacement that has been working fine since, albeit I haven't used it that much recently. If this one breaks within the 1-year warranty, I'll simply have it exchanged for one of the newer versions with improved reliability. The flash is way too good for the price.

rweav72
137 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 27, 2012 08:49 |  #45

3 560's all a year old going strong
3 602 receivers and 2 triggers all good.

Good value for price.

Ron Weaver
Canon 7D, 50D, 1D classic, Sigma 50 1.4, Canon 85 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 28-75 2.8, Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS
Nissan 622, Vivitar 383, Yongnuo 560 (3)

sponsored links

16,593 views & 0 likes for this thread
Poll: Yongnuo Reliability
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.