Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 26 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 15:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flying Fish

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jun 27, 2012 08:02 as a reply to  @ post 14638672 |  #16

Hey Cal,

Wonderful to see a thread from you.
And what a great series of photos!!!

I've also, never seen a nose-wheel "anything".
WOW!

Catch you soon,

Simon :D

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

sponsored links
LA ­ Smith
403 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 27, 2012 08:42 |  #17

RyanM wrote in post #14638661 (external link)
Very cool. Looks to be a modified C130?

It is actually a heavily modified Boeing C-97 (or KC-97, can't remember which).

5D,20D, some lenses and stuff

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 27, 2012 09:53 |  #18

Very cool. I had no clue such a plane existed. Its crazy that this thing can overcome drag. Wonder what its max airspeed is? Neato

Go4EVA!
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 27, 2012 10:16 |  #19

LA Smith wrote in post #14638818 (external link)
It is actually a heavily modified Boeing C-97 (or KC-97, can't remember which).

That is correct, a heavily modified C-97. There have been a number of Guppies over the years. This website is a great source of historical information: http://www.allaboutgup​pys.com/ (external link)

StaticMedia wrote in post #14639143 (external link)
Very cool. I had no clue such a plane existed. Its crazy that this thing can overcome drag. Wonder what its max airspeed is? Neato

According to the performance chart, the Guppy's cruise speed at 25,000 feet is 290 MPH (unloaded). The "All About Guppies" website shows 265 MPH with 40,000Lbs of cargo.

Yes, it's an unusual airplane, but it serves a very valuable purpose in transporting "oversize" cargo. We've been keeping her pretty busy this year at NASA.

Gear List

Go4EVA!
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 27, 2012 10:28 as a reply to  @ Go4EVA!'s post |  #20

....and here she is during pre-flight, and at take-off, this morning -- departing for Seattle (with multiple stops along the way). Wheels up at 0705 from Ellington Field.

You can track her progress, including altitude and airspeed, on FlightAware: http://flightaware.com​/live/flight/NASA941 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List

Go4EVA!
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 27, 2012 10:32 as a reply to  @ Go4EVA!'s post |  #21

Sorry, one more -- how's this for a contrast in aerodynamic studies? NASA 992 Gulfstream vs. NASA 941 Super Guppy :D

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 27, 2012 12:09 |  #22

PhotosGuy wrote in post #14637269 (external link)
Interesting find! That thing is just wrong! :D

:lol: Yeah I dont think it wins any beauty awards.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 27, 2012 12:12 |  #23

Go4EVA! wrote in post #14639316 (external link)
Sorry, one more -- how's this for a contrast in aerodynamic studies? NASA 992 Gulfstream vs. NASA 941 Super Guppy :D

Hmmm I would take the Guppie, Only because I could play basketball on my flight to where ever I am going :lol:

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 27, 2012 12:46 as a reply to  @ Go4EVA!'s post |  #24

According to the performance chart, the Guppy's cruise speed at 25,000 feet is 290 MPH (unloaded). The "All About Guppies" website shows 265 MPH with 40,000Lbs of cargo.

Yes, it's an unusual airplane, but it serves a very valuable purpose in transporting "oversize" cargo. We've been keeping her pretty busy this year at NASA.[/QUOTE]

Interesting! Pretty cool use of engineering. Reminds me of a gas airship mated with a plane. Will the X37-B fit in there? or maybe some other secret aircraft fuselage? ???

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 27, 2012 12:51 |  #25

StaticMedia wrote in post #14639857 (external link)
Interesting! Pretty cool use of engineering. Reminds me of a gas airship mated with a plane. Will the X37-B fit in there? or maybe some other secret aircraft fuselage? ???

"They" could tell you but then, you wouldn't be here to ask... ;):cool:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 27, 2012 13:40 |  #26

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14639879 (external link)
"They" could tell you but then, you wouldn't be here to ask... ;):cool:

Thus is true, especially if EG&G has any hand in it! :neutral:

Go4EVA!
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 27, 2012 15:20 as a reply to  @ StaticMedia's post |  #27

StaticMedia wrote in post #14639857 (external link)
Will the X37-B fit in there? or maybe some other secret aircraft fuselage? ???

Well, I honestly can't respond regarding the X-37 (because I don't know), but if you look here:
http://jsc-aircraft-ops.jsc.nasa.gov/guppy​/Super%20Guppy_files/f​rame.htm (external link)
you can see several examples of cargo being loaded into the Super Guppy. For example: an F-14 fuselage (wings & vertical tails removed); and a pair of T-38s.

sigma pi wrote in post #14639704 (external link)
:lol: Yeah I dont think it wins any beauty awards.

I spoke to an astronaut buddy of mine on Monday right after he landed and asked him if the Guppy was difficult to fly. His response: They teach an axiom in test pilot school "If it looks ugly, it probably flies ugly." The Guppy does not disappoint.

Gear List

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 27, 2012 17:18 |  #28

Go4EVA! wrote in post #14640458 (external link)

Well, I honestly can't respond regarding the X-37 (because I don't know), but if you look here:
http://jsc-aircraft-ops.jsc.nasa.gov/guppy​/Super%20Guppy_files/f​rame.htm (external link)
you can see several examples of cargo being loaded into the Super Guppy. For example: an F-14 fuselage (wings & vertical tails removed); and a pair of T-38s.

I spoke to an astronaut buddy of mine on Monday right after he landed and asked him if the Guppy was difficult to fly. His response: They teach an axiom in test pilot school "If it looks ugly, it probably flies ugly." The Guppy does not disappoint.

:lol: !!

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,101 posts
Gallery: 2069 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 27, 2012 18:06 |  #29

[QUOTE=Go4EVA!;1464045​8]

How about Lock's SR71 replacement, I wonder If parts of that If/when used by NASA would fit, and on the subject I wonder If they are making a space next to the 71's exhibit In museum as Im sure 71' replacement Is already old techno and the next bit of exotic techno Is waiting In the wings, perhaps a pulse engine hyper mach 10+ machine.....

Some stuff.

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 28, 2012 07:15 |  #30

Cool Link! Crazy what will fit in it. My aunt has worked with NASA on the shuttle program in FL since the 80's. I'll have to ask her if she has ever seen a guppy.

sponsored links

4,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flying Fish
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.