Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 09:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need a simple measurement of a G12

padmasana
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 27, 2012 09:52 |  #1

Can someone measure the outermost lens barrel diameter of the G12? I suspect it is around 37mm edge to edge but just want to be sure.
I've searched the forums but didn't come up with an answer.
I am looking into a Lensmate quick change system for a Canon SX260 so that I can mount a circular polarizer. I use the Lensmate setup already on a Canon S95 and it is awesome, but too small (barrel dimension of 32mm) for use on the SX260, so I am hoping that I can use a G12 kit on the SX260.
I haven't heard back from Lensmate on this, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks!

sponsored links
steve40
188 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 27, 2012 11:04 |  #2

The G12 does not use any form of adapter, that attaches directly to the lens barrel for filters. Instead you remove the deco-ring behind the lens, and use a special adapter there. It doesn't fit anything else, except some of the other G's.

Steve40.
http://steveslandscape​s.50webs.com (external link)
Cameras: Canon G12, SX150 is, & A1200.
Darkroom & Printer: PhotoShop Elements 9, Canon Pixma iX6520.
Tripods: Manfrotto 190XPROB & Giottos MT 9251 + Several Heads.

GordonSBuck
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jun 27, 2012 11:09 |  #3

Pictures of my Lensmate adapters for the G12 -- off camera and on camera:
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com …11/g12-lens-adapters.html (external link)

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 27, 2012 11:19 as a reply to  @ steve40's post |  #4

The G10/G11/G12 all have the same lens. My G11 looks like it's about 41 mm at the end. I measured to find 1.625 (1 and 5/8") inches and converted.

http://www.lensmateonl​ine.com/store/G12QC.ph​p (external link)

Dennis

padmasana
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 27, 2012 13:03 |  #5

Thanks guys!
I had to unexpectedly run out after posting, so sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner,
To clear up any confusion (apologies for that!), the adapter is the quick change version that Dennis referenced just above this post. The tube adapters would certainly be grand for the actual G series, though.
Dennis, are you using the quick change version?

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 27, 2012 13:42 as a reply to  @ padmasana's post |  #6

No, I haven't gone that direction. I have the three adapter tubes from Lensmate, but later also purchased the Canon filter adapter that zooms in and out with the lens.

http://www.amazon.com …tal-Cameras/dp/B0041RSPSW (external link)

If I just want to use a CPL or close-up lens, then I will just carry the filter adapter. If I'm going to use a tele converter lens, then I bring the necessary tubes. I have a 72mm CPL that fits the Lensmate adapter to avoid vignetting, but I can use a 58mm filter with the filter adapter without vignetting too. Depends on circumstances as to which set I bring.

Sometimes I just bring the 58mm CPL and hold it in front of the lens. If I decided to switch to the quick change adapter, then I find there are limits to also using the Lensmate tubes later (see Quick Change FAQ page), and perhaps with the Canon filter adapter.

Dennis

padmasana
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 27, 2012 15:54 |  #7

Dennis, sounds like a nice setup for the G11.

kc1981
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 31, 2012 20:04 |  #8

Hi padmasana,

Did you ever try the Lensmate quick change system on your SX260? Or is the kit for the G10/G11/G12 just too wide? Thanks.

padmasana
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 14, 2012 14:03 |  #9

kc1981 wrote in post #14932894 (external link)
Hi padmasana,

Did you ever try the Lensmate quick change system on your SX260? Or is the kit for the G10/G11/G12 just too wide? Thanks.

Hi. I just noticed your question. I hadn't been in this subforum too much recently. Anyway, none of the lensmate kits seemed to be sized right for this, so I ordered a filter step-up ring from eBay, ground off the smaller portion of it, mounted it to the SX260 with the really good double sided tape (I think it's 3M?) and now have a nice arrangement for a 52mm circular polarizer.
If you're daring, you might be able to get away with a polarizer just a tad smaller. I can push a ruler 5mm past the rim of the 52mm CP and it just starts vignetting.
I went big on the CP to make sure it would not give me a problem (and so that I wouldn't have to buy the rings and CPs more than once) but something like a 48mm might do it.
The big CP looks boss on the camera, by the way. It's just a couple mm wider than the lens housing.

sponsored links

2,793 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need a simple measurement of a G12
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.