Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 15:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have I damaged my new 7D and or 70-300L IS USM Lens?

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 23, 2012 19:04 as a reply to  @ post 14622148 |  #16

I really appreciate all your answers - so reassuring when you are a newbie to digital. Especiallly as I've only really used it for 2 days kind expensive write off @ £2,600!

Made my weekend!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links
Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 24, 2012 13:27 as a reply to  @ Submariner's post |  #17

Oh dear, I just took 5 really quick landscape shots with the 70-300L IS USM and they didn't seem too sharp - a bit fuzzy. Maybe I had them all on 'Auto CA', but thought I'd put a couple on C1; whereas I did my shots on Thursday and Saturday [that were good] on C1 C2 & C3. Looked in DPP and it said Program AE but C1-3 were heavily modified P modes.
Ummm hopefully it was just user error, or grass fields didn't give me a clear focus point. But I'm a little worried.

What symtoms would one get if the IS wasn't working properly [other than fuzzy images]?
Would it give an error code?

Any ideas welcome.

Will try some more controlled shots soon, and let you know.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

cputeq007
570 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 24, 2012 13:31 |  #18

Oh dear, I just took 5 really quick landscape shots with the 70-300L IS USM and they didn't seem too sharp - a bit fuzzy

That might be the cause of your fuzziness ;)

I'd just try a more controlled test - find something in semi-decent light with a clear focal point, focus with IS enabled, fire away.

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 24, 2012 14:00 as a reply to  @ cputeq007's post |  #19

You can check the IS by simply turning it on whilst looking through the lens, as it gets turned on you should see the image in the viewfinder stabilise and stop moving around so much.

I can't comment on the focus issue without knowing the focus mode, whether single point or all-points, what you tried to focus on etc. You say that you did 5 "really quick" shots, which can easily lead to sloppy technique. The results you describe could be bad focus technique, or camera shake due to poor bracing and shooting technique and/or too slow a shutter speed.

GraceNFaith
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 24, 2012 15:27 |  #20

bobbyz wrote in post #14622148 (external link)
rookies. :)

:lol::lol:

7D Gripped - 550D Gripped - EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Sigma 300mm - Tamron 28-300mm

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 24, 2012 18:10 |  #21

sandpiper wrote in post #14625251 (external link)
You can check the IS by simply turning it on whilst looking through the lens, as it gets turned on you should see the image in the viewfinder stabilise and stop moving around so much.

I can't comment on the focus issue without knowing the focus mode, whether single point or all-points, what you tried to focus on etc. You say that you did 5 "really quick" shots, which can easily lead to sloppy technique. The results you describe could be bad focus technique, or camera shake due to poor bracing and shooting technique and/or too slow a shutter speed.

Thanks for your help Sandpiper. I'm going to set up photobucket so I can post some images tomorrow when we get some decent light

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 24, 2012 18:37 |  #22

OK some pics of the problem.
The photo of Rebecca was taken before I took the lens off. Sure its not brilliant but the lighting was difficult - but good enough for my 2nd day using the camera and flash wirelessly, plus no where to set up remote 430EXMkII re a very small room:-
http://i1153.photobuck​et.com …riner7D/IMG_114​2Small.jpg (external link)

The second picture of the grassy field, was taken after the lens removal saga - the AF box was in the middle of the grass. And it's horribly fuzzy and soft:-
http://i1153.photobuck​et.com …riner7D/IMG_138​8small.jpg (external link)

I did put the AF box on the grassy field before reducing it in size only to find it's gone?
Not sure how I post with this tech stuff on it

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 24, 2012 18:37 |  #23

Submariner wrote in post #14626096 (external link)
Thanks for your help Sandpiper. I'm going to set up photobucket so I can post some images tomorrow when we get some decent light

Decent light? In the UK? You'll be expecting England to win a penalty shootout next. :lol:

Make sure you leave the exif data intact (so don't use "save for web" as that strips it) it makes it easier for people to work out what may be causing issues.

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 24, 2012 18:39 |  #24

Submariner wrote in post #14626214 (external link)
The second picture of the grassy field, was taken after the lens removal saga - the AF box was in the middle of the grass. And it's horribly fuzzy and soft:-
http://i1153.photobuck​et.com …riner7D/IMG_138​8small.jpg (external link)

You need contrast to autofocus, so if you are trying to autofocus on the grass, it is not going to work.

Is this your first SLR?

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 24, 2012 18:53 |  #25

sandpiper wrote in post #14626219 (external link)
Decent light? In the UK? You'll be expecting England to win a penalty shootout next. :lol:

Make sure you leave the exif data intact (so don't use "save for web" as that strips it) it makes it easier for people to work out what may be causing issues.

Uhmm looks like EXIF data has gone. All I did was use the Photobucket uploader, but I think I ticked remove location data where the photo was taken [reason if I used the A77 it has that stupid GPS integrated; so with google maps someone can actually see which room it was taken in!]. Do you think that stipped the exif data too?

I'll work on that tomorrow with the hopefully better pics.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 24, 2012 18:57 as a reply to  @ Heath's post |  #26

Yeah, that grass is a tricky target for the AF to pick up, so it's hard to be sure of anything with that test. Try and pick a definite subject, with good edge contrast and focus on that. Be sure to place the chosen AF point so that it covers an edge (so it has a line through it with dark on one side and light on the other) to make sure that it has enough contrast to focus properly.

It will help if you show a resized version of the whole shot, plus a 100% crop taken from the part of the scene you focused on (a section of the original shotthat is cropped out and not resized - so it is posted as a faithful 1 pixel on the monitor for each pixel in the image). That allows us to see a part of it at full size, as though looking at the whole image at 100% (which obviously won't fit on the forum.

It also makes it easier if you embed the shots in the thread, so we don't have to click on links. If using photobucket, just click on the code in the "img" box under each image, then "paste" it into your forum post.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 24, 2012 19:00 |  #27

Submariner wrote in post #14626283 (external link)
Uhmm looks like EXIF data has gone. All I did was use the Photobucket uploader, but I think I ticked remove location data where the photo was taken [reason if I used the A77 it has that stupid GPS integrated; so with google maps someone can actually see which room it was taken in!]. Do you think that stipped the exif data too?

I'll work on that tomorrow with the hopefully better pics.

Exif data is still there, have you got an exif reader plug in for your browser? You need one to see the exif. Removing location data is a good idea for shots taken at home, you don't really want to advertise where someone can find expensive camera gear.

wrankin
41 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 27, 2012 20:05 |  #28

Magnus3D wrote in post #14621718 (external link)
The only issue i can imagine would occur when removing the lens while the camera is on would be that the sensor is active and has a static charge which would make it suck in dustparticles like a vacuum when you remove the lens.

/ Magnus

Very good advice - Nikons' were known as dust magnets because of this.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,106 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 27, 2012 20:54 |  #29

wrankin wrote in post #14641602 (external link)
Very good advice - Nikons' were known as dust magnets because of this.

I think that's web lore. The sensor is never exposed to the air until the shutter button is pressed and then for only the speed of the shutter. Also, why would there be a static charge on the device? Just because there is a electrical current running through a chip does not necessarily mean that there is also static.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 27, 2012 21:24 |  #30

If taking off or putting on a lens while the power was on, would damage the camera or lens, I would have gone through at least several hundred bodies and lenses by now.

I have NEVER EVER turned the power off while changing lenses. And I'm not ever going to.

Glenn

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

sponsored links

4,922 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have I damaged my new 7D and or 70-300L IS USM Lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.