Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 04 Jun 2008 (Wednesday) 18:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Guess the vehicle! (GAME)

Ando27
Goldmember
1,218 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 27, 2012 18:32 |  #10276

Nash Metropolitan

Ando.
"Down Under"
[CENTER][B]Canon 1D4 / 5D3 gripped / 7D gripped / 300f2.8 IS L / 100-400f5.6 L / 70-200f2.8 IS II L / EFS18-200IS / 24-105 f4 IS / 10-20 f4 / 580EXII x 3 /1.4 TC III / 1.4TC II / 2 TC III / 15' Rig / 20' Rig.[CENTER]

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 27, 2012 18:41 |  #10277

Ando27 wrote in post #14641242 (external link)
Nash Metropolitan

Yeah, I didn't think that would last too long. I cropped in fairly tightly to hide the somewhat distinctive bodywork, but it's still distinctive.

Series III Metropolitan (1955-58):

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i24.photobucket​.com …erphotos/metrop​olitan.jpg (external link)

Your go :D

Ando27
Goldmember
1,218 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 27, 2012 19:16 |  #10278

OK,
Gotta wait till I get home tonight.

Ando.
"Down Under"
[CENTER][B]Canon 1D4 / 5D3 gripped / 7D gripped / 300f2.8 IS L / 100-400f5.6 L / 70-200f2.8 IS II L / EFS18-200IS / 24-105 f4 IS / 10-20 f4 / 580EXII x 3 /1.4 TC III / 1.4TC II / 2 TC III / 15' Rig / 20' Rig.[CENTER]

Mick ­ Emmett
Goldmember
2,730 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 27, 2012 19:19 |  #10279

I would never have got that in a million years.

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 27, 2012 19:30 |  #10280

Mick Emmett wrote in post #14641387 (external link)
I would never have got that in a million years.

Interesting how we all know different vehicles. As soon as I saw the pic I said Nash Metropolitan, I recognized it right away.

But some of the others posted? Clueless, I have no idea!

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

Owain ­ Glyndwr
528 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 27, 2012 23:43 |  #10281

Ando27 wrote in post #14641242 (external link)
Nash Metropolitan

it's RHD and UK registered. I think they were branded as Austin for the UK, not Nash.

Bora Da! OG
Canon EOS 600d, EF 24-70L, EF 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Sigma 18-250mm, 430EX II, Lowepro Primus AW, Lowepro Zoom 55AW,

Johandyman
141 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 28, 2012 00:07 |  #10282

BobsYourUncle wrote in post #14641432 (external link)
Interesting how we all know different vehicles. As soon as I saw the pic I said Nash Metropolitan, I recognized it right away.

But some of the others posted? Clueless, I have no idea!

so true, most of the euros and jdm's i know pretty much from looking at a wheelnut, but the americans and the veterans i have no clue who even made it :D

Johandyman.dk (external link)
"Oh, and sometimes more length isn't better" - GFWilliams

Ando27
Goldmember
1,218 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 28, 2012 01:45 |  #10283

I thought I knew straight away,........well sorta..
It just took me about 15 minutes to remember the actual name...

Ando.
"Down Under"

Mick ­ Emmett
Goldmember
2,730 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 28, 2012 02:29 |  #10284

I've got to be honest, from that angle I was thinking Mini. On second thoughts though; the front wheel arch would be in view if it was a Mini.

Ando27
Goldmember
1,218 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 28, 2012 06:40 |  #10285

OK,

Knock yourselves out..

IMAGE: http://i46.tinypic.com/wgus2d.jpg

Ando.
"Down Under"

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 28, 2012 07:10 |  #10286

Owain Glyndwr wrote in post #14642409 (external link)
it's RHD and UK registered. I think they were branded as Austin for the UK, not Nash.

Hmmm, sort of. They were actually all built by Austin at the Longbridge plant, under contract to Nash, for the US and Canadian market (where the vast majority ended up). They used Austin oily bits (first the A40 engine, then later the A50 one) with bodies being provided by another nearby company. Final assembly being done by Austin. There were a few that stayed over here, being sold through Austin dealerships, however they were never actually badged as Austins. They were sold, simply as "Metropolitan" without any other branding. Naturally, as they were sold by Austin, people would refer to them as an "Austin Metropolitan", but the name was never official at the time. Even the "M" badge seems to be used on both Austin and Nash versions, in fact I don't believe (but may be wrong) that there was a "Nash" badge even on the American sold cars.

The RHD doesn't automatically make it an "Austin" either, as they were also sold to Australia, as the Nash Metropolitan, in RHD form.

I was happy to accept Austin (or Hudson, which also sold a few towards the end) as well as Nash, but it is the Nash name that everybody thinks of as the huge majority were sold by Nash. I wasn't going to be picky about the brand, as there were no features in that shot that could have told them apart (the reg plate and RHD only being revealed in the full shot) . Heck, there are no features that I know of to be sure which is which anyway.

I assume that those two were originally sold through an Austin dealership, because of the RHD, but I can't be certain.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 28, 2012 07:22 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #10287

Hmmm, I'm thinking Chrysler Valiant, possibly a VJ series ?

If you want more detailed, I don't know (even assuming it is a Valiant)

[edited to add] I would guess at a Charger to narrow it down a bit, but no idea which variant.

Owain ­ Glyndwr
528 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 28, 2012 08:43 |  #10288

Holden Monaro?

Bora Da! OG
Canon EOS 600d, EF 24-70L, EF 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Sigma 18-250mm, 430EX II, Lowepro Primus AW, Lowepro Zoom 55AW,

Owain ­ Glyndwr
528 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 28, 2012 08:55 |  #10289

sandpiper wrote in post #14643237 (external link)
Hmmm, sort of. They were actually all built by Austin at the Longbridge plant, under contract to Nash, for the US and Canadian market (where the vast majority ended up). They used Austin oily bits (first the A40 engine, then later the A50 one) with bodies being provided by another nearby company. Final assembly being done by Austin. There were a few that stayed over here, being sold through Austin dealerships, however they were never actually badged as Austins. They were sold, simply as "Metropolitan" without any other branding. Naturally, as they were sold by Austin, people would refer to them as an "Austin Metropolitan", but the name was never official at the time. Even the "M" badge seems to be used on both Austin and Nash versions, in fact I don't believe (but may be wrong) that there was a "Nash" badge even on the American sold cars.

The RHD doesn't automatically make it an "Austin" either, as they were also sold to Australia, as the Nash Metropolitan, in RHD form.

I was happy to accept Austin (or Hudson, which also sold a few towards the end) as well as Nash, but it is the Nash name that everybody thinks of as the huge majority were sold by Nash. I wasn't going to be picky about the brand, as there were no features in that shot that could have told them apart (the reg plate and RHD only being revealed in the full shot) . Heck, there are no features that I know of to be sure which is which anyway.

I assume that those two were originally sold through an Austin dealership, because of the RHD, but I can't be certain.

I'm not old enough to remember how they were marketed first hand but service booklets and sales brochures seem to suggest that they were sold as "Austin Metropolitan" in the UK even if they didn't change the badges. I know you can't tell from the crop, I just thought it was interesting.

Bora Da! OG

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 28, 2012 09:39 |  #10290

Owain Glyndwr wrote in post #14643565 (external link)
I'm not old enough to remember how they were marketed first hand but service booklets and sales brochures seem to suggest that they were sold as "Austin Metropolitan" in the UK even if they didn't change the badges. I know you can't tell from the crop, I just thought it was interesting.

LOL, I'm not old enough either (quite), I am just going by what I have read about the car in various places and magazines.

You got me thinking though, so I googled for the Austin Metropolitan sales brochure and found this ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …253D&orig_cvip=​true&rt=nc (external link)

That brochure is clearly a UK one (RHD, UK reg) but just says "Metropolitan 1500" on the cover and inside. The ebay listing calls it an Austin Metropolitan though (as common terminology). Interestingly, bringing up the "You might also like" options on ebay (you may need to refresh the page to get them) shows several Austin brochures, including a different one for the "Metropolitan 1500", again no "Austin" mentioned on the cover. Looking at all the others, they are all clearly stating the branding on the brochure cover "Austin Cambridge", "Austin Sheerline" etc.

Interestingly, it also brings up a pic of the cover of an "Austin range" brochure, showing all cars together, there is a pic of the metropolitan amongst the other cars.

I also found this site, dedicated to Austin, http://www.austinmemor​ies.com/page49/page49.​html (external link) , which has a page of Austin brochure covers. Again, they all proudly proclaim "Austin" except the Metropolitan ones. Interestingly, even the US brochures simply call it a "Metropolitan 1500" too, not calling it a Nash. That may have something to do with it being much smaller than typical American cars, and Nash trying to set it up with it's own brand, as a "Metropolitan", rather than include it with the traditional Yank tanks.

If you look down the links on that site, there is a page about the Nash Metropolitan (the site always calls it a Nash, even when referring to the UK model) which adds some interesting information. It would seem that it was marketed as a Nash metropolitan in Australia, but simply a "Metropolitan" in other markets.

sponsored links

966,143 views & 0 likes for this thread
Guess the vehicle! (GAME)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.