Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jun 2012 (Monday) 16:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF-S focal length

Fuhrtographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
586 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 27, 2012 17:56 |  #16

John from PA wrote in post #14638534 (external link)
Not sure what ISO you are using but I've found the 60D able to deliver very good images at moderately high ISO. I regularly use ISO = 800 to capture under natural light, and find minimal issues.

800 is about as far as I like to take my 7d as well. My house is not very well lit with minimal natural light most of the time so my 60mm 2.8 is just a little on the slow side.

Wilt wrote in post #14639389 (external link)
Above statement illustrated.
The inner whitish area is what the APS-C frame captures with a lens.
The outer (full image) area is what the FF camera captures with its larger sensor, using the same lens FL as the APS-C camera.
The red circle shows the smaller image circle of the EF-S lens design...it cannot fill the FF area, which is why Canon puts the EF-S mount on the lens, to prevent its use on a FF sensor camera.

The 50mm lens will frame an area which is 20% wider than the 60mm lens on the same camera. For example, the 50mm lens will frame an area 8.9' along one side (the long dimension of frame) at a subject distance of 20' when mounted on the APS-C camera; the 60mm lens will frame an area
which is 7.4' along the long dimension of the frame... 8.9' = 120% of 7.4'; 50mm = 60mm / 120%

I understand what your saying, I had some crazy Idea that the EF-S lens were equivalent to their full frame brother as far as perspective goes. ie 60mm EF-S takes the same picture crop wise as a FF 60mm EF (if they made one), not the case though.

Marm O. Set wrote in post #14639429 (external link)
Here is the Sigma 50 f/1.4 @ 1.4:

The Canon version would not have such smooth bokeh nor would the in-focus details be quite this crisp. But I think the Canon has a very slight IQ advantage @ 4.0 and up... at least in the in-focus areas. The difference between the 2 is greater @ 1.4 than it is @ 5.6 so I kept the Sigma. Sorry, I don't have any Canon 50mm examples on my Flickr.

My Sigma required no microfocus adjust on my 7D. It focuses pretty much spot-on every time. I must be one of the lucky ones. I have heard that AF is a big weakness in some of these lenses. Mine was fine. I think the end result would be worth the hassle of trying a few copies (if you have to.)

FWIW the Canon AF on my copy was hugely sporadic, sometimes confiming that the focus had been locked when in reality the focus was literally 20 feet off. And then other times it would be fine. I'm pretty sure that was just the copy of the lens that I had.

Nice shots, I looked at some reviews on Photozone and some sample shots on Digital picture and I am sold. Thanks for taking the time to give me your input.

Jakebluez wrote in post #14640441 (external link)
Do you shoot macro often? If not, why not sell the 60mm and pick up a 50/1.8 and a used 85/1.8? The extra 2/3 stop between the 1.8 and 1.4 won't make a huge difference in terms of DOF and low light capability indoors. You might appreciate what you can do having two lenses.

I do shoot some macro and I absolutely love this lens (60mm) so I am not ready to part with it just yet. Its the fastest lens I have ever owned at this point. My original thought was to get the 85 and some kenko tubes for macro but I feel 85 will be a little too long in my small living room. The 60mm seems a little long at times.

davisphotos wrote in post #14640478 (external link)
Do you like the FOV of your 60mm Macro? If you don't do much macro, I would totally go for the 50mm f1.4, the f1.8 is an okay lens, but the 1.4 is a completely different animal-faster, quieter AF, much nicer bokeh, and better build.

If you still want to do macro, I would say buy the 85mm f1.8-it's an incredible portrait lens and you won't be disappointed.

The FOV seems a hair tight in my house taking pictures of my daughter.

tkbslc wrote in post #14640483 (external link)
50 and 85 are both so close to 60 that I wouldn't bother. I'd look a little wider or longer depending on your needs and get the Sigma 30mm or Canon 100mm f2. Either of those makes a nice progression rather just a near duplicate non-macro lens.

I may sell the 60mm at later date, I think ideally a Sigma 50 1.4 and a Canon 100 f2 with a set a good tubes (for the 100) would be Ideal. I admit buying the 60mm was not such a good idea but I didn't research enough!

Fuhrtographer's Flickr (external link)

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 27, 2012 21:08 |  #17

Fuhrtographer wrote in post #14641098 (external link)
800 is about as far as I like to take my 7d as well...

Nice shots, I looked at some reviews on Photozone and some sample shots on Digital picture and I am sold. Thanks for taking the time to give me your input...

The FOV seems a hair tight in my house taking pictures of my daughter.

The 7D's files can look great even at 12,800 ISO... if you do it properly. I learned about it here.

No prob on the photos... the 85 1.8 is great also (I own that lens as well) but I think you'd be happier with the 50 because you mentioned taking photos indoors. 85 is really long for most indoor shots.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 27, 2012 22:35 |  #18

Fuhrtographer wrote in post #14641098 (external link)
I may sell the 60mm at later date, I think ideally a Sigma 50 1.4 and a Canon 100 f2 with a set a good tubes (for the 100) would be Ideal. I admit buying the 60mm was not such a good idea but I didn't research enough!

I think the 60mm was a great idea! It's one of the sharpest primes, period. You give up a stop for the 1:1 ability, but it has L grade image quality.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Overkill-F1
479 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 28, 2012 00:14 as a reply to  @ Fuhrtographer's post |  #19

" I admit buying the 60mm was not such a good idea but I didn't research enough! "

I consider buying the 60mm macro as one of my better purchases. It was my first prime lens and one of my most used lenses.
...Terry

50D, 450D, 18-55mm IS, 30mm f/1.4, 60mm f2.8 macro, 100mm f2,
For Sale- EF 24mm f/2.8
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". Dave Barry

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,929 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF-S focal length
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.