Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

BirdsofBC
Goldmember
2,709 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 27, 2012 19:44 as a reply to  @ post 14641464 |  #181

hey guys, the pics in this thread aren't showing up on my computer. am i using the wrong settings?

https://www.birdsofbc.​com/ (external link)

sponsored links
thenextguy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 27, 2012 19:45 |  #182

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14641464 (external link)
This makes my head hurt...

Which leg of the exposure triangle would one adjust to get EC in this case?

I expect a $7,000 to camera to know!

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 27, 2012 19:45 |  #183

N.V.M. wrote in post #14641506 (external link)
hey guys, the pics in this thread aren't showing up on my computer. am i using the wrong settings?

Only those that own a 1DX can see the pics.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 27, 2012 20:07 |  #184

Is there a fourth leg I don't know about?

Don't you know?... shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and that little button with the sun on it on your monitor. That's the EC in manual mode.

-Chris (also formally known as "imtrashed" if searching feedback thread)
GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

daddio2
45 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 27, 2012 20:37 |  #185

Is there a fourth leg I don't know about?

Not sure this would be considered another leg, but simply a way to tell the camera to over or under expose from what it would normally consider proper exposure...using only the ISO as the means of adjustment since we're in manual mode with fixed aperture and shutter settings.

As it stands, using auto ISO in manual mode is relatively useless unless your in a situation where the subject will be in a neutral (18% grey-like) environment the entire time. If you are shooting a bride in a white dress...whoops, under exposed. Shooting a darker scene...over exposed. It doesn't matter what you do you the aperture or shutter speeds...the ISO will try to make the scene "properly exposed" via IOS changes. You can of course go full manual, ride the ISO manually and adjust for these situations, but that that's not the point. Why not allow this EC capability. From what I understand, Nikon has done this for a long time.

Alan B.
http://www.daddiophoto​.com/ (external link)

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 27, 2012 20:49 |  #186

N.V.M. wrote in post #14641506 (external link)

bw!

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 27, 2012 21:52 |  #187

daddio2 wrote in post #14641716 (external link)
Not sure this would be considered another leg, but simply a way to tell the camera to over or under expose from what it would normally consider proper exposure...using only the ISO as the means of adjustment since we're in manual mode with fixed aperture and shutter settings.

As it stands, using auto ISO in manual mode is relatively useless unless your in a situation where the subject will be in a neutral (18% grey-like) environment the entire time. If you are shooting a bride in a white dress...whoops, under exposed. Shooting a darker scene...over exposed. It doesn't matter what you do you the aperture or shutter speeds...the ISO will try to make the scene "properly exposed" via IOS changes. You can of course go full manual, ride the ISO manually and adjust for these situations, but that that's not the point. Why not allow this EC capability. From what I understand, Nikon has done this for a long time.

This could be done in the film days, but with digital the camera always "properly" exposes for the ISO that has been set.

The camera would have to be "taught" how to expose for say 640 when 800 has been set.

I don't know how Nikon has done this, but it seems like a simple software update is all that would be required.

Mark

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 28, 2012 00:21 |  #188

daddio2 wrote in post #14641716 (external link)

How does Nikon tell a camera to "Push" in Auto ISO?

Isn't the entire point of Auto ISO to let the ISO float to maintain exposure when you absolutely want a specific SS and Aperture?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2012 00:36 |  #189

jonneymendoza wrote in post #14640569 (external link)
1dx is for the proffesionals. not many hobbiest would buy a 1dx lol.

very pricey. great piece of kit but pricey

Almost $7k is a signifigant investment for most of us. If you're a working pro who's gear is supplied by your employer then if they'll bite for it, fine.

If you are, like the majority of members here, either a semi-pro, a hobbyist, or a working pro who finances all of his/her own gear purchases, then you have to stop and ask yourself if this large of an investment is going to be a wise one from a business standpoint (except for the hobbyists, for them its just "can I sneak it past the wife?"). Will the improvement in images from this camera result in more income, thus making it a sound business investment?

I know several successful brick & mortar portrait/school/weddin​g photographers that are still shooting with 5D1's, 5D2's 7D's, even the occasional 30/40D as a second body, but who have invested in the glass and lighting equipment they need to produce images that bring them income. The lust for the "latest and greatest" camera body rarely enters their thoughts. Sure, they're aware of what's out there but just can't justify it from a business standpoint.

I'm sure the 1Dx is a hell of a camera. For me, shooting motorsports and being the one who pays for my gear, I don't see it in my future. I use a 1D4 and a 7D, having just recently sold my 1D3, and the only reason I went with the 1D4 was because I fear this will be the last APS-H body from Canon, and while I was able to get one at a reasonable price, I suspect as long as they are still available the prices on them will continue to be high until there are simply no more left. When its time to replace the 1D4, I will probably go with something along whatever the 7D line turns into, or maybe even whatever the current model of the 5D is, if its gotten as good as claimed with the 5D3. I simply cannot justify the price of the 1Dx for what I shoot. Like Michael Corleone said in "The Godfather". "....it's simply business...."

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,590 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 28, 2012 00:40 |  #190

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14642531 (external link)
Isn't the entire point of Auto ISO to let the ISO float to maintain exposure when you absolutely want a specific SS and Aperture?

Right!

So, say for a given aperture and shutter speed, the ISO for proper exposure is 400.

I choose 1 stop overexposure, so the camera set the ISO to 800.

What's the big deal?

Interestingly, in my 60D, as with all other Canons AutoISO in M does not allow EC.

BUT,

if I go to say to Av, the camera has the logic that will set the minimum speed 1/1.6xFL more or less... If it needs more exposure, in AutoISO it will up the ISO.

...and guess what? If I ask it to EC, IT WILL! Up the ISO by the EC I ask it...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 28, 2012 00:52 |  #191

MakisM1 wrote in post #14642583 (external link)
Right!

So, say for a given aperture and shutter speed, the ISO for proper exposure is 400.

I choose 1 stop overexposure, so the camera set the ISO to 800.

What's the big deal?

Interestingly, in my 60D, as with all other Canons AutoISO in M does not allow EC.

BUT,

if I go to say to Av, the camera has the logic that will set the minimum speed 1/1.6xFL more or less... If it needs more exposure, in AutoISO it will up the ISO.

...and guess what? If I ask it to EC, IT WILL! Up the ISO by the EC I ask it...

I still don't get this...

We use EC because we're (supposedly) smarter than our cameras...

Aren't we still smarter in using ISO as the third leg of the exposure triangle? X/XXX @ f/X.X and ISO 400 is under by a stop. How hard is it to just raise your ISO to 800 on your own?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,590 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 28, 2012 01:05 |  #192

I see what you are getting at..

I find that in my 60D a 1/3 stop overexposure gives me the results I want, so when I am in 'automatic' I want this 1/3 EC.

On the other hand, if I have an issue with the meter being fooled, I'll try spot metering and Exposure lock. If this is not satisfactory, then I will lock down everything in M.

I find though that in most situations (maybe mine are not as demanding as yours...) I can get away with shooting Av on 'automatic' and worry about the composition. I just keep an eye on the exposure, but normally I don't have to do anything drastic.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 28, 2012 01:22 |  #193

If you want to purposely overexpose, or underexpose a photograph while in Manual mode, the answer is simple...take the camera OFF of auto ISO, and you can intentionally overexpose, OR underexpose your images all you want - using any one of the three exposure factors, the shutter speed, the aperture OR the ISO. As Jay (FlyingPhotog) so clearly, and wisely pointed out, How hard could it be?

The purpose of auto ISO as I understand it, is so the camera automatically selects the proper ISO to give a PROPER exposure using the shutter speed, and the aperture selected. When the camera is set to auto ISO, it doesn't know if, or when the photographer wants to purposely underexpose, or overexpose a photograph. That defeats the whole purpose of auto ISO.

That's the whole beauty of manual exposure mode...the photographer is in complete control of the exposure. He/she can expose the image however he/she sees fit. They can properly expose, or overexpose, or underexpose the image to their heart's content!

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,590 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 28, 2012 01:35 |  #194

Indeed, how hard could it be?...

Setting aperture and shutter speed and then wanting to consistently overexpose in changing conditions is beyond your comprehension?

How hard can it be?

Shooting AI Servo at 5 FPS, how hard can it be to set the ISO? Well, sorry, in my old age I can't be this fast... But it can't be THAT hard...

Gerry

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 28, 2012 02:40 |  #195

Should I buy the 1Dx now or wait for the 1Dxl?

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links

3,021,782 views & 4,756 likes for this thread
1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.