Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 09:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Strap recommendation

rpearlberg
84 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 27, 2012 09:41 |  #1

I'm looking for a new strap for my T3....
It seems the Crumpler Industry Disgrace is highly recommended.

Any other suggestions? Just a casual user at home and on short trips....

sponsored links
EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 27, 2012 10:11 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

the one the camera comes with ..

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

rpearlberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 27, 2012 10:18 |  #3

EL_PIC wrote in post #14639220 (external link)
the one the camera comes with ..

Thanks! Saved me some money!

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2012 12:09 |  #4

POTN sells straps from this site, and many people here use them. OpTech makes them.
http://www.procamerage​ar.com/catalog/index.p​hp?cPath=30 (external link)

Tamrac makes an excellent strap with a suede pad. It's here:
http://www.tamrac.com/​g_camerastraps.htm (external link)

I've used Domke Gripper Straps for years. They have rubber intertwined, on one side.

Recently I've tried UpStrap. And they have an innovative pad that just won't slip! They sell from their own website.

Wapiti (sp?) make a strap for photojournalists that I want to try.

Think Tank sell a camera strap, with stickum on both sides. It's narower than the Gripper strap; feel the camera weight more.

Sling straps? Most comments here are for Black Rapid Straps. I don't like the carabiner on mine. I've stopped using it. Otherwise it's very comfortable and convenient to use. Expensive though.

There are many competitors to BR. I haven't tried others.

Ken Rockwell recommends a simple Leica strap. Says it doesn't slip (straps that do are a pet peeve of mine. I hate using a hand to stabalize a camera on my shoulder. Used to work shooting weddings with 2 cameras suspended from straps, so it's an old work habit. the strap he recommends is quite inexpensive. Unusual for Leica! ;)

Dave

ahendarman
851 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 27, 2012 12:16 |  #5

I absolutely love my Wapiti strap (external link)
I have it on my 5D3, extremely comfortable and doesn't get in the way.

Gear | Smugmug (external link)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 27, 2012 14:32 |  #6

I like the Crumpler Industry Discrace and the POTN. If you carry the camera on your hip and across your chest, make sure it's long enough. I dislike the Back Rapid type slings, as they can fail catastrophically and take up the tripod mount, but their length is what you want to find in the Crumpler or the POTN if you use it that way.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2012 15:07 |  #7

tvphotog wrote in post #14640264 (external link)
I like the Crumpler Industry Discrace and the POTN. If you carry the camera on your hip and across your chest, make sure it's long enough. I dislike the Back Rapid type slings, as they can fail catastrophically and take up the tripod mount, but their length is what you want to find in the Crumpler or the POTN if you use it that way.

That's why I stopped using my BR sling. There is one tiny pin on the modified carabiner that supports my gear. I bought it...poor choice on my part. I have tried an OpTech attachment to a strap mount. I don't like the way the camera hangs.
In fairness, if a shoulder strap comes apart my gear drops too.

edit: I have used the OpTech connector on the 'biner, in case the pin breaks Problem solved. BR Strap is back on the dslr

Dave

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 27, 2012 15:13 |  #8

Any OpTech pro strap if you want it around your neck (Get the POTN one and you'll be doing God's work). Black Rapid if you want it off your shoulder. Or wear the OpTech around your shoulder and the Black Rapid around your neck, whatever floats your boat.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

rsash
60 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 27, 2012 15:16 as a reply to  @ Indecent Exposure's post |  #9

Singapore Sling

rpearlberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 27, 2012 15:18 |  #10

I like the slings or over the neck straps....

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 27, 2012 18:28 |  #11

tvphotog wrote in post #14640264 (external link)

+ 1 ;)

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

Ray33
118 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 27, 2012 21:30 as a reply to  @ tomcat7886's post |  #12

I ordered the Luma Labs Cinch and it should be here inanother 10-15days (3 week backlog)

Sling type, but 2 connection points. Neat one handed adjustment. Said to be comfortable. Might be worth a look.

His: 60D | 15-85 | Luma Cinch
Hers: 40D | Tamron 17-50 non-VC | Luma Cinch II
Ours: ∑ 30 f/1.4 | Canon 40 | Tamron 70-300 VC | 430EX II | Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 w/ Arca Swiss Z1 Head | Billingham 445

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 27, 2012 22:10 as a reply to  @ Ray33's post |  #13

The last 3 cameras I bought, the strap has stayed in the box with it's plastic wrap.
I use a bag or pack to carry my gear, freeing both hands for 85% of the time I am shooting. I carry my camera in hand regardless of the location(s) I am shooting. People have come up to me and asked where is my strap. I just chuckle.

There are times when I am hiking that I use my tripod as a walking stick and the camera in my other hand. That can get crazy on the steep slopes, so the camera goes in the bag, which I hate to do, but I do not like it swinging around my neck/shoulders/chest.
I recently purchased the spider holder, which I like. So I can carry one camera/wide lens and have my other camera/long lens at the ready.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 28, 2012 04:55 |  #14

op/tech user here. if you want to wear it across your body op/tech also has those.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 28, 2012 08:08 |  #15

Another vote for the Luma Cinch. I use mine with the membrane connector so I can keep my tripod quick release plate on. I also use brass marine swivel hooks for a DIY strap quick release system, though mine don't actual swivel. I don't know exactly what to call them.

Here is the closest I can come to them online: www.amazon.com/Brass-Fast-Eye-Snap-Hook/dp/B0009TN7CU/ (external link)

I got mine at a local hardware store and they measure just over 2 inches. Overkill for a camera strap but they are smooth and don't mark up the camera at all, even though they are metal.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

3,822 views & 0 likes for this thread
Strap recommendation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.