Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 22:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OK, these Speedlites SUCK!

JLP520
175 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 27, 2012 22:37 |  #1

Bought a couple of 430EX II's a few days back (thought the portability factor would be worth it)...Mixed 'em up with the Alien Bee 800's after an intensive photo shoot of 200+ shots I got a less than a 20% consistency in the lighting of the Speedlites...But the Bees were spot on EVERY time...even when being used as an optical slave....When they fired they were perfect...But 20% is totally unacceptable...Those cheap a$$ canon flashes will be returned tomorrow and 2 more Bees will be added to the growing hive...Done ranting now...Thanks for being on the other end of my **** session. :p

Jeff :cool:

sponsored links
MetalRain
652 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 27, 2012 22:50 |  #2

Do you understand the correct usage of the 430's and that they are two totally different types of flashes? What do you mean 20% consistency? Like, 20% of the time they fired?

5D3 | 16-35mm L MKII | 24-70L MKI | 70-200L MKII | Canon 400mm IS 2.8L | ∑85 | Einstein x3 |

JLP520
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 27, 2012 23:01 as a reply to  @ MetalRain's post |  #3

Yep...20% firing...and even less of the time at the settings set for them. What do you mean "correct usage"...You set... they should work...they don't.

questionmarc
835 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 27, 2012 23:28 |  #4

if you opitically triggered them did you make sure that the sensors were facing you?

and it really depends if you are using them outside or indside

if you had triggers that would help

and you need to remember that 430's do not produce the same flash duration as the the AB - they will take more time to recycle

im sure it's just you needing to learn how to use both at once

60D, 5DmkIII, 50 f1.8
Facebook Page (external link)
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

JLP520
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 27, 2012 23:41 as a reply to  @ questionmarc's post |  #5

Fired (at least tried to) with the 7D pop up in manual A:B mode both speedlites set at 1/2 power...sometimes they fired...most times they didn't. Even when they did fire most shots were very underexposed due to not firing at the right power...when they did work, the light was perfect...Just not consistent ...and I was not rapid firing either... several seconds between shots...But the Bees fired every time...???

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,559 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 28, 2012 00:03 |  #6

Were you in ETTL mode?

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 28, 2012 00:16 |  #7

I presume the 430EXs were powered with AA alkaline cells, in which case the FLASH RECYCLE time is going to be 3 sec., while the AC powered studio lights recycle in 1 sec. So if you fire too rapidly, the AB800 will fire but the 430EXs would not be ready to respond.

[edit: Oops. I just read a later followup post, "I was not rapid firing either... several seconds between shots"]

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

emdzey01
349 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 28, 2012 00:56 |  #8

You say you're in A:B mode (which is a speedlite ratio mode) but you say you're firing at 1/2 power? I don't get it.

Would you care to share your whole setup (what triggers for the Bees, what setting on the camera and on the flash, etc). We might be able to help you figure out the problem instead of blaming the equipment. If the camera position and flash position doesnt change and the off-camera speedlights don't fire consistently even with several seconds of recycling, there has to be a setting that needs to be addressed.

my name is mjay.

Click for my transactions as a seller on POTN

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 28, 2012 07:20 |  #9

emdzey01 wrote in post #14642644 (external link)
You say you're in A:B mode (which is a speedlite ratio mode) but you say you're firing at 1/2 power? I don't get it.

Would you care to share your whole setup (what triggers for the Bees, what setting on the camera and on the flash, etc). We might be able to help you figure out the problem instead of blaming the equipment. If the camera position and flash position doesnt change and the off-camera speedlights don't fire consistently even with several seconds of recycling, there has to be a setting that needs to be addressed.

+1. There seems to be some conflicting information... if the OP is using the popup from the 7D, wouldn't the AB's be firing during the pre-flash of the popup??

There is some good information on the Canon optical system here: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1199306

I only use Speedlites, and while I don't use the Canon optical system often, I've never had an issue with the firing with the optical system or radio triggers... The only time I've had a 'misfire' was when the batteries in the flash were dead.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 28, 2012 08:56 as a reply to  @ drvnbysound's post |  #10

I have never had a misfire with speedlites but then again I don't use Canon's IR wireless systems that much. Even for indoors shooting I much prefer radio triggers.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 28, 2012 16:56 |  #11

Guessing here.....

I suppose the OP could be firing the AB with a PC cord (to prevent the optical slave from responding to the pop up flash pre fires) and triggering the speedlites with the pop-up flash. My guess is the pop up flash is sometimes being over-powered when the AB fires.

The only way I see this combination working reliably is to use radio triggers or to use optical slaves on the speedlites.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,237 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 28, 2012 17:05 |  #12

Mixing two different types of lighting systems can be tricky. Sounds like user error to me. Tell us more about how you triggered the Canon 430EX's and how you triggered the AB's.

If you used an optical trigger to fire the AB's, the 7D pop-up flash(Canon wireless system), will cause any other optical trigger to fire at the wrong time. That will also cause problems with the Canon wireless commands.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

chrisandaivi
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 28, 2012 17:06 |  #13

user error, have you read the manual?

Gear: 5D Mark II, Canon 85mm 1.2 L ,Canon 17-40mm F4L
Canon 24-70mm F2.8L, Canon 70-200mm F4L
580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,199 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 28, 2012 17:11 |  #14

Use good quality rechargeable batteries, the speedlights suck lots of juice. Regular alkaline will wear down quickly increasing the recycle time to 5 or more seconds very quickly.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 28, 2012 17:27 |  #15

facepalm*

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

sponsored links

5,951 views & 0 likes for this thread
OK, these Speedlites SUCK!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.