Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,948 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 28, 2012 22:46 |  #4531

johneric8 wrote in post #14645935 (external link)
For those who have argued with me in regards to the 1dx not being worth the extra cost all you have to do is look at some of the ISO test out there.. Just checked out the blog that was posted here and it confirms what I knew was going to be true. The 1dx is a Major improvement in regards to the ISO performance and that my friend makes this wedding photographer smile from ear to ear...

Its a stop. If thats worth $3500.00 to you then go for it. Personally, i would rather have 2 5D3's for the same $$$$

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,948 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 28, 2012 22:48 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #4532

http://blog.martinbail​eyphotography.com …-1d-x-digital-slr-review/ (external link)

^^^^^^^ read this ^^^^^

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

johneric8
Goldmember
1,153 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 28, 2012 23:59 |  #4533

Mark II wrote in post #14646527 (external link)
I cant understand why anyone, even in the beginning, would think otherwise.

Canon is a VERY successful company ... and its not because they charge $3300 more for an equal or (lol) lesser camera. :rolleyes:

Personal validation is one thing .... the 1DX being a better camera than the 5DMK3 is another.

THE END

Correct its a better camera. The point that ive argued is the price difference is justified. It makes me chuckle when I hear guys say "I don't need 12fps so I'm not getting the1dx". Do they not realize that the 1dx beats out the 5dmk3 in countless other ways? The noise levels are incredible. The point ive tried to make is if you're making a great living off of your buisness its a smart purchase for so many reasons.

Too much Gear to list! :lol:

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 29, 2012 03:12 |  #4534

'Sorry I couldn't get back to you yesterday, we are expecting to receive stock next week but I don’t have any exact numbers yet but this may be delayed as our delivery from Canon scheduled for today has been postponed as their factory has been flooded!

I'll give Canon a chase and let you know if I can get any more info out of them.'

FFS! :D

Chris Giles Photography

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 29, 2012 04:41 |  #4535

I think that today's DSLR market is a much wider place than say 5 years ago. These day's there is a lot more choice available and what is on offer are much much better products. Both the 5DIII and 1Dx are fantastic cameras and offer features and benefits that were only dreamed of a few years ago. I think it is quite wrong for one photographer to critise another's choice in equipment. For my needs a pair of 5DIII's is just about perfect. I rarely need more than 5 fps and the 5DIII's build is generally fine. My gear does get a bit wet from time to time, but that's rain water and that's all good.
A good friend of mine is a wildlife photographer and he needs the high frame rate and better build...and that's gonna cost him!
I would love a 1Dx, but I don't have a direct need for one and the sheer size and weight would make it's a burden for my wedding work. Where as a pair of 5DIII's are a better fit for me. But I utterly respect the needs of photographers that do need the faster fps, build and AF colour tracking feature. That said, the 5DIII is a far more competent camera than any previous 5 series camera and it really is a pro level tool.

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,948 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 29, 2012 08:47 as a reply to  @ GMCPhotographics's post |  #4536

here is my concluion. I went MKIV and 5D3 and kept a 5D2.

valid reasons why people bought the MKIV. From this review, it looks like the 1Dx will have a stop better ISO over an MKIV, a few more focal points, servo looks like its going to be better but the MKIV is no slouch in this department at all. 1Dx is gonna be excellent in low light.

BASED ON THIS REVIEW,, and this guy is very good,, the 1Dx is going to be a excellent camera. Everyone knew that going into this. All the arguments are gonna be is it better than the MKIV or the 5D3......the answer will be yes and depends on your needs.

The logical side of your brain should kick in here. HOW MUCH BETTER DO YOU ACTUALLY NEED ??

Do you need the ability to go to 25000 iso ?? perhaps 51000. Still not clear on a raw file.

Do you need the better AF servo performance --- most should answer yes.

If you own an MKIV and a 5D3,, then you already know how close the files are. its a push any way you look and if anyone says differently, they just dont know. Myself and other that own both know how close they are, especially from 6400-10000 in ISO performance.

Are you prepared to give up the 1.3 FOV performance and the reach advantage, plus the F/8 issue where the advantage clearly swings to the MKIV over the 1Dx......glass will cost a lot more for the same FOV performance.... you are talking 300 mm v/s 400mm....its that simple.

Do you need the low light performance that the 1Dx will clearly offer over the MKIV and do you need the extra stop of iso performance ??

lastly,,,,Price ?

I got my MKIV from Canon as a refirb for $3775.00 out the door. It had 297 on the shutter count and was a brand new camera. I now have 2 cameras that are darn close to what the single body 1Dx offers for the same money....$$6900.00

Ive said it all along........you have to me smart how you spend your money with these high end cameras. To me, the 5D3 is a no brainer. Best camera on the market at its price point.

There are trade offs over with the comparisons B/T an MKIV and the 1Dx.

Top of the line is definitely the 1Dx

MKIV and the 5D3 is a trade off depending on your needs.

All i can say is is a great time to upgrade and to have to decide B/t the 3 cameras..we are all extremely lucky compared to what we had just 5 yrs ago........spend your bucks wisely

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 29, 2012 09:21 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #4537

^^ As always there are a lot of parameters to take into consideration when you decide to buy a new body.
The parameters have different importance for different people, hard to make any general assumptions.

I'm looking to pair my 1DIV with a 1DX and keep the 5DII
(the 7D will most likely hit the classifieds)

All I can say is - Good luck with whatever decision you make for your photographic needs! :)

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 29, 2012 09:52 |  #4538

TBH the 5D3 is still lacking in build quality. I've found that occasionally when I attach a lens the aperture reads '00' (as if it cannot detect the lens) and it stays this way until I remove and re attach the lens.

Worrying if this suddenly becomes permenant during a ceremony right and I like to know that one battery will last me all day.

Small things sure but they add up.

Chris Giles Photography

johneric8
Goldmember
1,153 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 29, 2012 10:20 as a reply to  @ Gel's post |  #4539

I agree with all comments regarding everyone has different needs and shooting styles this is why I'm finally going to a 1 series as my full time wedding body. I have been shooting for over ten years and have always been very logical on my choices and what I spend my money on, but because my business is thriving and we finally have a full frame camera with such good build and performance I have no choice but to buy one.

I differ from some opinions on here in regards to is the added expense of the 1dx worth it. For me, spot metering to af point, build quality, dual cf, noise level, multiple processors and especially the new customizable buttons on the face of the camera make this machine built for someone who works as hard as I do.

Again you have to know my history to understand why it's symbolic I'm getting the 1dx. I've always been the most frugal photographer I know in regards to not shelling out money for a body that I don't need. Just like the 1series bodies in the past I didn't really have much need for based on the sensors. I don't want cropped sensors, I have L glass in most focal lengths and I don't shoot sports so why would I want anything but full frame.

I agree if you're shooting wildlife or superbowl coverage I can understand if your on a budget going for a cropped body but I guarantee most of these photographers will be going full frame sooner than later and happy to do so.

Too much Gear to list! :lol:

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 29, 2012 10:21 |  #4540

umphotography wrote in post #14648226 (external link)
The logical side of your brain should kick in here. HOW MUCH BETTER DO YOU ACTUALLY NEED ??

I am deliberately turning off logic for this particular purchase. Before introduction I was considering the 5D3 depending on specs. Once I saw the 1Dx I realized that this was the "you only live once" camera...

I'm going from a 5D2 so the whole 1.3 crop issue is moot to me. The ISO performance is a big factor, though, and even "just a stop" over a camera that is already a stop or two better than what I've got is a significant improvement.

To me, the 5D3 is a no brainer. Best camera on the market at its price point.

I disagree. You contradicted yourself with the previous paragraph mentioning that a refurb 1D4 was roughly the same price as a 5D3. In most ways that 1D4 is a better camera.

Then there is the cheaper Nikon offering that is as good or better in most respects.

Top of the line is definitely the 1Dx

That's kind-of what does it for me. While saving for my next camera I had a bit of a windfall that pushed my price point from the next 5D to give me the option on the next 1 series. I decided that I wanted to put the best I could into my bag. I can't afford Hassy or Leica and I've already got some quality Canon glass so...

Now all I need is for someone to take my money. And since it's now in the checking account I'm starting to worry that the someone will be my wife! :p

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2012 10:59 as a reply to  @ Erik S. Klein's post |  #4541

There are a few folks here who feel that those of us who own the 5D3 are trying to downplay the 1DX so that we don't have to regret our choice to go with the 5D3 or be jealous of the 1DX.

I don't think there's any doubt that the 1DX is just the better camera. Of course it is. Several folks went over why it's the better camera including build, dual CF card slots, spot metering on the selected AF point, 12fps, 1 stop improvement in noise, form factor, etc, etc, etc.

Personally, as I've mentioned before, I used to shoot with a 1 series body, and the Nikon D3 and D3s, so I do have appreciation for the top of the line cameras. Typically, you also did get more features, perhaps not in Nikon land, but definitely in Canon land. All you have to do is look at the AF difference between the 1D3, 1Ds3, and the 5DC/5D2 to know what I am talking about. HUGE difference.

That has completely changed with the 5D3. When I read the specs, I immediately knew that was going to be good enough for wedding photography and it has been. Would the 1DX be better? Maybe. The 1 stop high ISO advantage would definitely come in handy. 12fps? Meh. Dual CF card slots? Sure...I hate having to buy SD cards! Build and sealing? Possibly...if I am shooting in the rain or in challenging elements, which is not too often. Again, not excuses, but reality for what I shoot, which is weddings.

I like using 2 of the same cameras, so I'd be getting 2 1DX cameras. That would be $6k+ extra. That's a personal decision that I would have to make. (Obviously, I already made it...sticking with my 5D3). I can afford it, but I choose not to go with the 1DX.

But never say never...;)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2012 10:59 |  #4542

BTW, there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying a 1DX because you just want the best. NOTHING. Your money. Your right. :)

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 29, 2012 11:04 |  #4543

Gel wrote in post #14648510 (external link)
TBH the 5D3 is still lacking in build quality. I've found that occasionally when I attach a lens the aperture reads '00' (as if it cannot detect the lens) and it stays this way until I remove and re attach the lens.

Worrying if this suddenly becomes permenant during a ceremony right and I like to know that one battery will last me all day.

Small things sure but they add up.

Thats not normal behaviour and does not represent fairly the build quality of the 5D line in general. That's a problem that needs to be fixed by CPS instead of being used to condemn the build quality of the entire camera line

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2012 11:18 |  #4544

DennisW1 wrote in post #14648774 (external link)
Thats not normal behaviour and does not represent fairly the build quality of the 5D line in general. That's a problem that needs to be fixed by CPS instead of being used to condemn the build quality of the entire camera line

True. I know someone who has the same problem. First, there was something wrong with circuit boards on his 5D3 which he had Canon fixed. Then it was the aperture showing 00. Not sure what he did for that.

I have 2 5D3's and have not run into any issues at all.

It is what it is. I remember when I got the 1D4 a few months after it was released, the LCD went dead, so let's not go blaming the 5 series line for something that could happen with any camera.

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 01, 2012 16:08 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #4545

Here are some interesting impressions/images from a 1DX owner and comments from a tester

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/11276​43 (external link)

I have to say that it seems to correspond rather well to my expectations and what I suspected.

You won't find a body that will do everything perfectly.
You just have to decide what's important to you and your photography :cool:

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

sponsored links

533,985 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.