Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 13:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Switching my setup to come lighter/less bulky. Suggestions?

da9k1ne
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 27, 2012 13:17 |  #1

I currently have the following, and would like to minimize bulk and weight.

Canon 50d
Sigma 30mm 1.4
Canon 18-135 (tend to really only use about half of that length)
Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

What I'm thinking would be a good option for me is below. (I have the 50d and 18-135 for sale now on this forum, so PM me if interested!)

New setup (planned):
Canon T3i
Canon 40mm pancake (on the fence, still may keep sigma 30 since its not too big and takes great images)
Tamron 17-50, Sigma 17-70, something of the sort (looking for advice on these lenses as well)

I feel like this would make lugging a camera around cities much less cumbersome and my g/f wont be so bad when I ask to stick it in her bag:lol:

Any advice would be great!

sponsored links
Jakebluez
46 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 27, 2012 15:41 |  #2

While the t3i and 40 pancake would be a nice setup, dare I suggest going to a different camera system altogether?

With an NEX rig, for example, you'll have an APS-C size sensor that is drastically smaller than a canon DSLR rig.

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 27, 2012 15:52 |  #3

i really like the feel of a dslr, so i'd like to stick with what i'm familar with. i dont really want to have to get all news lenses, etc with a NEX.

i'm pretty much set on the t3i! great suggestion though

Jakebluez
46 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 27, 2012 18:24 |  #4

da9k1ne wrote in post #14640611 (external link)
i really like the feel of a dslr, so i'd like to stick with what i'm familar with. i dont really want to have to get all news lenses, etc with a NEX.

i'm pretty much set on the t3i! great suggestion though

I hear you. I like the control of a two-wheel DSLR. Yeah the 40mm pancake is probably your way to go. Pancakes can be funn lenses.

robertro
44 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 27, 2012 21:55 |  #5

The T3i is a nice, easy to manage body, with good AF, good color balance and exposure, and a handy swivel screen. If I were looking lightweight, I'd go to a M4/3 camera because of the superb lenses, compact size and weight, and comparable sensor quality, but I can appreciate being attached to your current lenses. I have a 70-200/2.8 IS and a 100/2 that are my main reasons for keeping a Canon body!

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 28, 2012 08:55 |  #6

ya, i agree the t3i is a great little camera. i love my 50d but it gets too heavy and cumbersome at times so it has to go.

i just hope the thing sells on here so i can get the t3i!

snowshark13
696 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 29, 2012 08:53 |  #7

da9k1ne wrote in post #14643559 (external link)
ya, i agree the t3i is a great little camera. i love my 50d but it gets too heavy and cumbersome at times so it has to go.

i just hope the thing sells on here so i can get the t3i!

Me too...so you can buy my t3i and I can get a Nex-7!!!

Gear
www.digitalsnowshark.c​om (external link)
flickr (external link)

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 29, 2012 09:04 |  #8

that 40mm STM is making everything lighter. For some reason I don't like that swivel screen on the t3i. I'd get a t2i.

oh here's a NEX-5N with the Canon 40mm STM. :D
http://sonyalphanex.bl​ogspot.com …-canon-40mm-stm-lens.html (external link)

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 29, 2012 10:10 |  #9

snowshark13 wrote in post #14648254 (external link)
Me too...so you can buy my t3i and I can get a Nex-7!!!

find someone to buy my 50d, and we'll be set! haha i'm having a hard time selling it for some reason, it's mint and at 500 shipped its a steal!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 29, 2012 10:12 |  #10

You are not going to save a meaningful amount of weight or size by swapping one light lens for another. Or honestly, even those bodies are not that different in size. If you want noticeable and meaningful change in portability you should look at micro 4/3.

Just a comparison of size for you to ponder: http://camerasize.com …33.311,195.25,1​83.32,ha,t (external link)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 30, 2012 15:43 |  #11

the t3i in my opinion when held with the 50d is alot smaller and lighter. it's very noticeable. the 40mm pancake on the t3i is a very compact, highly capable combo.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 30, 2012 16:17 |  #12

da9k1ne wrote in post #14653614 (external link)
the t3i in my opinion when held with the 50d is alot smaller and lighter. it's very noticeable. the 40mm pancake on the t3i is a very compact, highly capable combo.

It's not like it's going to fit in your pocket or a purse. It's still a camera bag camera. So why move to a less capable system just to have more empty space in your camera bag and save 1/2 a pound of weight?

If you've already made up your mind, cool. I just wouldn't bother. You are giving up two stops of aperture and a better AF system and you are still going to have a relatively large camera, just not as large. Plus, it is not like the pancake is an all around lens, so you'll still be lugging big lenses around.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 30, 2012 16:21 |  #13

tkbslc wrote in post #14653697 (external link)
It's not like it's going to fit in your pocket or a purse. It's still a camera bag camera. So why move to a less capable system just to have more empty space in your camera bag and save 1/2 a pound of weight?

If you've already made up your mind, cool. I just wouldn't bother. You are giving up two stops of aperture and a better AF system and you are still going to have a relatively large camera, just not as large. Plus, it is not like the pancake is an all around lens, so you'll still be lugging big lenses around.

it fits easily in even a small purse, i've checked. i'm happy with the decision, it's alot lighter than my 50d/sigma 30 combo (which was my lightweight combo before). the AF system doesnt bother me since i rarely, if ever, shoot moving subjects. low light photography rarely presents itself either unless in doing long exposures. if in the long run i decide i miss the 50d, then i'll go back to it!

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 01, 2012 11:11 |  #14

also, I am relocating to Chicago in working in the loop. the t3i with 40mm combo will easily allow me to throw the camera into my messenger bag so i can bring it to work daily (lots of interesting things in downtown chicago)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 01, 2012 11:30 |  #15

Sounds like my G11 could do all your asking of it. It's controls are very easy and familiar coming from a 7d.

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

sponsored links

2,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
Switching my setup to come lighter/less bulky. Suggestions?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.