Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 20:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best on-camera speedlite diffuser?

uneek78
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 01, 2012 20:02 |  #1

I currently use a Gary Fong and it works well most of the time, but I'm curious if there is something better that diffuses the flash on my canon 580 speedlite. Sometimes I noticed that when you have seriously uneven ceilings (fancy ballrooms and such have trey ceilings) I notice that the light that bounces off the ceiling won't reach your subject(s) if they're not under the same level ceiling. Which is something I don't want to be concerned about when I'm taking photos. I've seen a lot of photographers with Soft Box Flash Diffusers (external link). Are these much better? Would you highly recommend these or something else? I found myself in a situation like that several times this weekend and I would have to move the subjects into the same level ceiling I was under, because the Gary Fong relied heavily off the ceiling bounce flash evidently. Normally after I resituated the subjects under the same level ceiling as myself the picture was perfect. Please advise!

Gerard Payne | www.gerardpayne.com (external link)
Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 24-105L |Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 01, 2012 20:23 |  #2

The Fong Dong throws light everywhere, and leave some going direct. It's similar to an Omnibounce, though less efficient. A soft box has most of the light going direct, and they're so small they don't really do that much.

Really what seems to be missing is your understanding of light. You seem to want a one size fits all solution, when really you need to understand light and how to control it better.

I rarely use on camera light as my main light at events, I use off camera lights - tutorial here. I have most of the flash diffusers that were available from when I was new, but now I understand light a lot better I don't use any on camera diffuser.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

uneek78
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 02, 2012 07:33 |  #3

tim wrote in post #14658149 (external link)
The Fong Dong throws light everywhere, and leave some going direct. It's similar to an Omnibounce, though less efficient. A soft box has most of the light going direct, and they're so small they don't really do that much.

Really what seems to be missing is your understanding of light. You seem to want a one size fits all solution, when really you need to understand light and how to control it better.

I rarely use on camera light as my main light at events, I use off camera lights - tutorial here. I have most of the flash diffusers that were available from when I was new, but now I understand light a lot better I don't use any on camera diffuser.

I actually realize I have read your article before. And it does work great; I know a friend that has done it. I actually mount my speedlites on stands with umbrellas when it is time for posed pictures. Unfortunately, this does not prove itself to be convenient when the venue spreads between several rooms; which was my situation this weekend. It was in skyscraper in which the venue quickly changed rooms throughout one floor. Unfortunately, the luxury of moving stands and such was not afforded for this specific situation. Yet, it is a great idea assuming the whole venue is to be in one centralized area.

My question was geared for something when you have to constantly move from room-to-room. What is something I can put in my speedlite that will not cause the limitations I saw this weekend. The gary fong is great but per articles I read it does also rely on the bounce of the ceiling. I probably can use a little more understanding of the gary fong, but when I bought it at the photography store the clerk only showed me one way to use it. I am now looking online and seeing there are more ways. I will start working on these ways immediately.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 02, 2012 08:36 |  #4

Gerard,
If you are using flash in a room where it has to be the primary light source, then you have to accept that its going to be a flash picture. In that case, get the speedlite above the lens and high enough minimize skin hotspots. In these situations I tend to use a large foamie deflector. Similar to the the one described on http://super.nova.org/​DPR/DIY01/ (external link).

Most of the time I bounce the speedlite using a small foamie to keep the light from going directly toward the subject. Most often I have one or two speedlites on light stands working with the on camera flash.

http://www.dmwfotos.co​m/galleries/weddingpor​tfolio/ (external link) is my wedding gallery. Every image there has a speedlite component. Most are bounced, several have both on camera and off. The outside shots use the speedlite for fill.

As Tim suggests, spend time learning how to "read the light" and augment it with your speedlite.

Looking at your equipment list, it appears that your camera and lens combinations make higher ISO shots with flash augmentation more challenging.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

uneek78
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 02, 2012 08:45 |  #5

dmward wrote in post #14659829 (external link)
Gerard,
If you are using flash in a room where it has to be the primary light source, then you have to accept that its going to be a flash picture. In that case, get the speedlite above the lens and high enough minimize skin hotspots. In these situations I tend to use a large foamie deflector. Similar to the the one described on http://super.nova.org/​DPR/DIY01/ (external link).

Most of the time I bounce the speedlite using a small foamie to keep the light from going directly toward the subject. Most often I have one or two speedlites on light stands working with the on camera flash.

http://www.dmwfotos.co​m/galleries/weddingpor​tfolio/ (external link) is my wedding gallery. Every image there has a speedlite component. Most are bounced, several have both on camera and off. The outside shots use the speedlite for fill.

As Tim suggests, spend time learning how to "read the light" and augment it with your speedlite.

Looking at your equipment list, it appears that your camera and lens combinations make higher ISO shots with flash augmentation more challenging.

Good info! I will take all this mind. Thanks for the knowledge. And you're definitely correct about the "more challenging" part. I can't quite afford a Mark 5D II at the moment even though I hear they help really well with higher ISO in low light situations. I was leaning more toward the 60D since it will be more achievable for the near future.

Here are some of the shots I took this weekend:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

uneek78
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 02, 2012 10:46 |  #6

Hey Tim, I'm loving your article more and more now. Can you tell me where you place your stands when taking group posed shots at after the ceremony? Distance? Height of stand? I use umbrellas at the moment.

I notice for the reception you leave the speedlite unhindered by any type of diffuser. I guess at the distance they are from the subjects....that is okay, right?

uneek78
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 02, 2012 10:47 |  #7

Also, just curious and not trying to be annoying. Why do you have 3 websites?

uneek78
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 02, 2012 11:00 |  #8

Okay, it's just 2 website I see now. You have 3 links for your signature and I was checking them out. Nice work!

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 02, 2012 16:42 as a reply to  @ uneek78's post |  #9

uneek78 wrote in post #14660367 (external link)
Also, just curious and not trying to be annoying. Why do you have 3 websites?

SEO :)

uneek78 wrote in post #14660359 (external link)
Hey Tim, I'm loving your article more and more now. Can you tell me where you place your stands when taking group posed shots at after the ceremony? Distance? Height of stand? I use umbrellas at the moment.

I notice for the reception you leave the speedlite unhindered by any type of diffuser. I guess at the distance they are from the subjects....that is okay, right?

I typically don't light posed group shots. Here in NZ they're done outdoors, and I don't use flash as it only lights the front row.

I did do church formals one horribly wet day this summer. I used one AlienBee strobe with a shoot thru umbrella up pretty high, directly above me. I had one 550EX on a small stand at 1/4 power or so lighting the background. No photos online unfortunately.

uneek78 wrote in post #14659672 (external link)
My question was geared for something when you have to constantly move from room-to-room. What is something I can put in my speedlite that will not cause the limitations I saw this weekend.

High iso, bare flash pointed at the ceiling, and I use the built in white bounce card.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

MDEphoto
79 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 02, 2012 22:00 |  #10

I've had good luck using the Rogue FlashBender.

http://www.expoimaging​.com …p?cat_id=13&pro​duct_id=21 (external link)

If you go with the FlashBender, don't forget to get a diffusion panel - works really well and softens the light

http://www.expoimaging​.com …ds=Rogue_Diffus​ion_Panels (external link)

Gear List and Feedback

windpig
Chopped liver
14,940 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 02, 2012 22:07 |  #11

Uh oh, here we go again.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Green ­ Li
753 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 03, 2012 21:45 |  #12

have you tried googling best flash diffuser? :)

PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com – photo tips, photography reviews (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Google (external link)+

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 03, 2012 22:40 |  #13

Green Li wrote in post #14667729 (external link)
have you tried googling best flash diffuser? :)

Then you'll just find the company with the best SEO.

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jul 04, 2012 08:53 |  #14

I have a set of better bounce cards and the Lumiquest set. I really like both, but the Better Bounce cards get the most use.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,461 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 04, 2012 09:31 as a reply to  @ rklepper's post |  #15

I tried just about everything and was't happy so I made one.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/IMG_9344.jpg

And I use a modified sto-fen. The tape keeps light from coming trough the sto-fen forward thus reduces the hot spots that I was getting before I blocked the light. I usually meter the ambient and set my strobe for one stop lower. I have the same set up for my Metz 58 and my 580. I use a Nikon gel pack for the Metz (fits perfect) so I gel for the ambient and I have a strobist pack for the 580. Note the velcro to hold the pure white art board.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/IMG_4438.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/IMG_4437.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/IMG_4436.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/IMG_4435.jpg

Nikon gel pack
IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/IMG_4441.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/IMG_4442.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/IMG_4443.jpg

sponsored links

16,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best on-camera speedlite diffuser?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.