Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Jul 2012 (Monday) 10:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm Kicking CD's To The Curb...!

ColeSales
31 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 02, 2012 10:30 |  #1

As you may know, many computer companies are opting out of creating a cd port in their next line of computers. Due to that and that I just hate CD's I think I'm going to start selling USB FlashDrives instead. I was looking around at a few custom flash-drive companies and found nothing that was, "right". But, I ran across Photojojo and their USB Film Roll Flashdrives.

Have you switched to USB's?
Have you seen more sales?

What do you think of this idea?

This Flashdrive (external link) Or This Flashdrive? (external link)

Cole Sales Photographer, LLC
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)
Help People + Your Talent = Purpose

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 02, 2012 10:41 |  #2

Hello Mr. Cole Sales and welcome to POTN.:D

This concept has been tossed around here in a little bit of discussion, but I personally have not yet rec'd a request for a "flashdrive" of files. True, CD's and DVD's are a little bulky but they are extremely inexpensive. Have you searched for threads on this topic?

I also question your comment about "many computer companies are opting out of creating a cd port in their next line of computers" since there still are a lot of people who enjoy watching movies on their PC's in this fashion. This is all just my own experience though. But I do have to ask: Do you really feel this is a trend or are trying to sell a particular company's product line? That film roll looks a bit gimmicky - can you add your own company logo/art to it? I routinely print on my DVD's and could not do that here obviously. And at $20 plus shipping fees these things are not that cheap.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

ColeSales
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 02, 2012 10:48 |  #3

Stuart, I feel that all of the other photographers in my area offer just blank CD's...I'd' like to be different and maybe start a trend. Also, they're an eye-catcher!

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 02, 2012 11:01 |  #4

ColeSales wrote in post #14660370 (external link)
Stuart, I feel that all of the other photographers in my area offer just blank CD's...I'd' like to be different and maybe start a trend. Also, they're an eye-catcher!

Well, I see what you are trying to say.

It sounds like the the other photogs do nothing then to "brand" their CD's and DVD's with either logo or custom art that would set them apart. In my area people will do that and also package the disk in an attractive slip case to make it a more attractive product for things like Weddings, Anniversaries, social events. Perhaps the film cassette look would lend itself better to other types of photography.

Does this company give you the option to have your logo/art added to the film cassette? And if I understand correctly, the cost for small quantities comes to $22.50 ea. when you factor in shipping?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

ColeSales
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 02, 2012 11:25 |  #5

Exactly! No, they don't give me that option..I just ordered a few to get a better look and feel as well as to see what type of packaging they come in. I'm going to order some metal tins or sometype of boxes to dress them up a bit with my logo/brand. May I ask how much you sell your CD/DVD's for? I'm starting to think how much I could market these at and sell a lot and still make a decent profit.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 02, 2012 11:35 |  #6

ColeSales wrote in post #14660523 (external link)
Exactly! No, they don't give me that option..I just ordered a few to get a better look and feel as well as to see what type of packaging they come in. I'm going to order some metal tins or sometype of boxes to dress them up a bit with my logo/brand. May I ask how much you sell your CD/DVD's for? I'm starting to think how much I could market these at and sell a lot and still make a decent profit.

My high-rez DVD's are already built into the cost of my wedding and social event packages - ie, they get a disk. But I do place a value of $400 on them when calculating my profit in order to cover lost print sales. For my less expensive packages I will price them at $200 - 300.

Keep in mind what your costs will be when factoring your expenses. At $22.50/cassette not counting the cost of packaging, that is already starting to add up. Of course if you make a large sale it is worth it then.;)

GEAR LIST

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 02, 2012 12:17 |  #7

ColeSales wrote in post #14660370 (external link)

How are you going to make them read only?? If you don't or cannot, you’re looking for a problem when your client accidentally erases the drive, something they cannot easily do with a CD or DVD.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Sam6644
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 02, 2012 12:19 |  #8

I've been planning to just start giving people their photos on flash drives, too. As it is, most of the time I deliver to people via online download. I just upload their package to my FTP and let them download it and share the link.

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

ColeSales
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 02, 2012 12:45 |  #9

Sam6644 wrote in post #14660772 (external link)
I've been planning to just start giving people their photos on flash drives, too. As it is, most of the time I deliver to people via online download. I just upload their package to my FTP and let them download it and share the link.

That's what I've been doing through SmugMug, but I don't like it. Flashdrives will make the clients actually think that they have paid for something more than the photos.

veritasimg
210 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 02, 2012 12:56 as a reply to  @ ColeSales's post |  #10

We've have been using flash drives as our digital medium over DVD for our clients last year as a trial. Interestingly, there's no difference in customer perception b/t one over the other. Since we are able to do custom cover prints on our DVD where as I can only have a logo printed on the USB stick, we have decided to switch back.

One comment that a client did say to us was "What if I accidentally erase the USB drive?!" ;)

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link) | Our latest Works @ Veritas Images (external link) | Let's Get Social! (external link)

ColeSales
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 02, 2012 13:19 |  #11

It's not my problem as a photographer, it's the clients. Just as if a client were to loose her CD.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 02, 2012 13:35 |  #12

This is the BEST option I have found and more difficult to loose. VERY classy way to deliver your product. A great way to brand you product.

Yeah I still do DVD's. Why not is't almost free *L*

http://www.pexagontech​.com …es/View-all-products.html (external link)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 02, 2012 13:37 |  #13

ColeSales wrote in post #14660295 (external link)
As you may know, many computer companies are opting out of creating a cd port in their next line of computers. Due to that and that I just hate CD's I think I'm going to start selling USB FlashDrives instead. I was looking around at a few custom flash-drive companies and found nothing that was, "right". But, I ran across Photojojo and their USB Film Roll Flashdrives.

Have you switched to USB's?
Have you seen more sales?

What do you think of this idea?

This Flashdrive (external link) Or This Flashdrive? (external link)

Those are both tacky in my opinion. I would not use either one.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 02, 2012 13:41 |  #14

ColeSales wrote in post #14661025 (external link)
It's not my problem as a photographer, it's the clients. Just as if a client were to loose her CD.

That is a true statement, but...............you still may need to deal with the subsequent phone calls. Sure it was there fault, but in the interest of customer service it may end up tying up your time. Accidents DO happen, and not everybody is computer savvy. I'm sure you wouldn't phrase it this way, but you don't want to tell them: "Sorry, not my problem."

Remember, from the standpoint of an efficient business model, you want an easy and hassle-free process here.

GEAR LIST

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 02, 2012 13:43 |  #15

scorpio_e wrote in post #14661108 (external link)
This is the BEST option I have found and more difficult to loose. VERY classy way to deliver your product. A great way to brand you product.

Yeah I still do DVD's. Why not is't almost free *L*

http://www.pexagontech​.com …es/View-all-products.html (external link)

Slick looking Scorpio - has more of a class look to it.;)

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

4,749 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm Kicking CD's To The Curb...!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.