Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Jul 2012 (Monday) 21:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

headshot pricing

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 02, 2012 21:48 |  #1

i have someone who needs headshots for their website and advertising/promotiona​l use.

i need to provide digital images with full use rights, no prints, have no idea what i should charge, stock price calculators don't seem to be any help.

any resources to help me out or anyone have input?

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 02, 2012 22:27 |  #2

Head to Google and do a search on "headshots photography --wherever you live--." Check out what everyone else is charging and see what their quality of work is compared to what you can put out. After that, price accordingly. It'd overall be one of more accurate solutions. That's the route I went with, and I've had no complaints.

Richard
Your friendly neighborhood photographer/organist-in-the-making
www.anvil.cc (external link)

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 03, 2012 01:07 |  #3

artemisn wrote in post #14663226 (external link)
Head to Google and do a search on "headshots photography --wherever you live--." Check out what everyone else is charging and see what their quality of work is compared to what you can put out. After that, price accordingly. It'd overall be one of more accurate solutions. That's the route I went with, and I've had no complaints.

The danger of this approach is that it assumes the competition actually knows their cost to produce a professional headshot. My experience they all look around to see what everyone else is charging and then try to price a little under. The end result is the public thinks headshots (or anything else for that matter) should be cheap. The photographers complain that even if they could get 10 sessions a day they couldn't make money.

The first question to ask is are you a pro or a hobbyist? If you are a hobbyist doing it to make money for gear then use the above approach.

If you are a wanting to make a living at this you need to know your costs. Pure and simple. What many don't know is what actually their costs are.

For instance you need to make a guess (optimistic or pessimistic) about how many sessions you hope to shoot. Then you need to determine how much money you need to make annually AFTER all expenses are paid. That gives you a rough estimate of revenue needed per session.

As for costs that is far more comprehensive than just the cost of gear and rent. It includes your labor (you don't work for free do you?) health insurance, business insurance, depreciation on gear, transportation, utilities (electricity and gas are not free)rent or house payment (I know, the whole payment is not a deductible item but you still pay cash for it), food, internet and web costs,advertising, phone etc. And do not forget your profit. After all, the point of a business is profit otherwise it is a hobby.

I have only outlined some of the issues involved.One must also take into account your local conditions. What I see are two types of headshot photographers in my area (L.A.) Some meet you at the park and shoot for an hour or two and hand you a disc of SOOC JPGs. Others set up a more formal shoot in studio with hair and makeup and charge you per image. Varying levels of retouching are available with option 2 but seldom with option 1.

I suggest becoming a PPA member and reading some of they literature in running successful photo businesses. Membership also gives you insurance against gear theft or damage and liability protection.

At bottom, if you price wrong you will regret the error for a long time. Good luck

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 03, 2012 15:43 |  #4

markd61 wrote in post #14663664 (external link)
The danger of this approach is that it assumes the competition actually knows their cost to produce a professional headshot. My experience they all look around to see what everyone else is charging and then try to price a little under. The end result is the public thinks headshots (or anything else for that matter) should be cheap. The photographers complain that even if they could get 10 sessions a day they couldn't make money.

110% true, and everything past that is 120% true! When I started doing headshots, I was assisting a very well known photographer in the area, and he pointed me to the other big shots in the area. They served as a good standard for where the full time, extremely talented professionals priced, and let me find a happy medium seeing the gap between them and everyone else I found on Google.

I only do photography for occasional side money and to balance out gear costs, but if my goal was full time, I'd print out the rest of your post and pin it on the wall next to my monitor. Spot on on all fronts.

Richard
Your friendly neighborhood photographer/organist-in-the-making
www.anvil.cc (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,222 views & 0 likes for this thread
headshot pricing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.