Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 17:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Never Hand Anyone Your SD Card Photos

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 02, 2012 16:21 |  #16

D Thompson wrote in post #14661570 (external link)
I'm a little curious as to all the comments about this being another reason to shoot RAW. The OP never mentioned what format he shot. If he did shoot RAW then she has the RAW images so how did that help because evidently she has a converter so shooting RAW accomplished nothing to thwart her posting them. Game over once he handed her the card to copy.

I'm not saying she should have posted them, I'm just saying no matter what format the OP used he was screwed the second he let her copy them.

It's not about thwarting them, it's about the people who quick upload stuff to facebook. Those social butterflies are often a point, click, share, crowd. If they were RAW the OP would have had time to think twice about quick sharing photos and also the receiver would be possibly clueless as to what to do with a JPEG, let alone process it nicely to make it POP.

Nobody is suggesting RAW prevents anything but most people who process RAW will hopefully have a greater appreciation and respect for the photographers work and credit due. The thing we are getting at is if it was RAW the OP would not have been able to share the shots easily enough and then realized or remembered that the watermark is applied when processing. More of a sensibility safety net. Certainly the case was that the shared photos were not done with some ulterior motive other than to share a great memory with friends. The OP just wants a little credit which is understandable.

Adam - Upstate NY:

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 02, 2012 16:40 |  #17

Personally I'm really wondering what you were expecting to happen after you gave her the data to copy.

I have passed off data many many times, only to have the photos show up a hour or so later on Facebook... Which is exactly where I was expecting them to turn up at when I handed someone the card and said they could copy the photos.

I'll be honest that I will agree that there is an ignorant party involved in this, but it sure isn't the 'thief'.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 02, 2012 19:18 |  #18

Probably best she didn't credit you...I wouldn't want to be associated with images SOOC...even when they're mine.

But I'm genuinely surprised that the OP is surprised by the outcome of this.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,993 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 02, 2012 20:30 |  #19

Nature Nut wrote in post #14661802 (external link)
It's not about thwarting them, it's about the people who quick upload stuff to facebook. Those social butterflies are often a point, click, share, crowd. If they were RAW the OP would have had time to think twice about quick sharing photos and also the receiver would be possibly clueless as to what to do with a JPEG, let alone process it nicely to make it POP.

It'd be interesting to know what format he shot in. Hopefully, he would have thought twice if they were RAW, but it doesn't sound like he thought too long. I thought everybody had LR or something these days ;):D. He didn't say they popped, only that she posted a few.

Nobody is suggesting RAW prevents anything but most people who process RAW will hopefully have a greater appreciation and respect for the photographers work and credit due. The thing we are getting at is if it was RAW the OP would not have been able to share the shots easily enough and then realized or remembered that the watermark is applied when processing. More of a sensibility safety net. Certainly the case was that the shared photos were not done with some ulterior motive other than to share a great memory with friends. The OP just wants a little credit which is understandable.

I just wondered why the RAW thing came up a few times. Honestly, I doubt either person even thought of anything other than sharing a joyous celebration. Even if the OP shot RAW, it was probably just a brain fart when he gave them up and wasn't thinking about watermarks or anything else. I completely agree that they should give the OP credit for the photos.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 02, 2012 23:20 |  #20

D Thompson wrote in post #14662771 (external link)
I just wondered why the RAW thing came up a few times.

I'm not sure why it came up by others, I just added it as a jesting side note. Mainly because before I got abducted into the dark world of serious amateur photography I only knew the almighty Jpeg and most people on Bookface may look at you weird if you told them you shoot RAW pictures.

I suppose in hindsight it wasn't as bad as the few times I've processed some photos for a friend and forgot to turn off my watermark and subsequently marked their photos with my name.:eek:

Adam - Upstate NY:

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 02, 2012 23:29 |  #21

OP, ask your friend for a take down or ask for credit. For future references, always ask them what they plan to do with the photos before giving them anything. If given the option, the only photos I give away are downsized photos. Never full res.

Frankly OP, you are the owner of your photos and you gave them away. In most people's minds, if you give them anything, they can do whatever they want with it.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 03, 2012 00:40 |  #22

I'm not really understanding where the frustration is coming from. Not sure what you thought was going to happen when you handed over the card. It seems like it was a social function that you were at anyway and not something that you were contracted to do so why do really care?

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

SmokeySiFy
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 03, 2012 08:40 |  #23

So whatcha gonna do?

If you do ask her to take them down without giving her processed and sized down copies you look like a jerk. Actually no matter how you ask her to take them down you look like a twit.

Just be happy to share in a friends retirement.

Caveat: if this were a paid gig, you are stupid for letting her have the card

Lesson learned, don't just give away pics.

Also tag yourself as the photog

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 03, 2012 08:45 |  #24

I kind of agree with elrey2375. Just because you are a photographer doesn't mean everything you do needs to be credited and watermarked. Do these shots have any commercial value? Is your other work devalued by this? Were you actually paid to do this? If not, then this should be an extremely minor annoyance at worst. It's facebook, it's an acquaintance, it's basically casual photos, and it is just what people do these days.

Like most of life, just because you CAN do something about this doesn't mean you should. I would just ignore it myself.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 03, 2012 08:58 |  #25

I would see this as you giving her the photos - obviously with the realization that the majority of people uses photos to view on their computers or to upload to their social media.

Having to assume that you also must have realized this, you lending her the card for copying must be seen as you accepting her use of them - at least in non-commercial ways.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 03, 2012 09:18 |  #26

elrey2375 wrote in post #14663595 (external link)
I'm not really understanding where the frustration is coming from. Not sure what you thought was going to happen when you handed over the card. It seems like it was a social function that you were at anyway and not something that you were contracted to do so why do really care?

+1 - I really fail to see the issue here as well. If you want to keep control of your pictures then don't hand them over. I especially would NEVER hand over the sd-card. It are the bad pictures that define you as a photographer in other peoples eyes and not the few good ones you are capable of making.

Donate if you love POTN

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 03, 2012 09:26 |  #27

I don't understand the OP's problem. You gave your friend your photos. Did you put any restrictions on them? I doubt it. This just sounds like another case of "everybody should know professional photography etiquette" syndrome.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 03, 2012 09:38 |  #28

A few simple rules regarding sharing photos:

If the photo has commercial value, don't share it in any form.
If the photo is crap, don't share it.
If you don't want the photo stolen, don't put in on FB or any other forum. They will be stolen.

Other people might have some other rules, but to keep it simple I follow the above.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 03, 2012 10:33 |  #29

ewheeler20 wrote in post #14664780 (external link)
I don't understand the OP's problem. You gave your friend your photos. Did you put any restrictions on them? I doubt it. This just sounds like another case of "everybody should know professional photography etiquette" syndrome.

The OP's problem is simple. He decided to share some images with a friend. He did not know that the friend would post them on her social media without his permission and without even acknowledging that he took the pictures. That's just flat out dishonest!

It has nothing to do with "professional photography etiquette." It has to do with stealing. By posting without credit, his friend knew that she would receive credit for the photos. It is, after all, her social network page. That flat out makes what she did theft, pure and simple. She wanted credit for what he did. This is proof that she is a thief, that she is not to be trusted, ever, and that she is most certainly not his friend in any sense of the word.

It's also a violation of federal law, but that's a different matter entirely.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,599 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 03, 2012 10:37 |  #30

20droger wrote in post #14665101 (external link)
The OP's problem is simple. He decided to share some images with a friend. He did not know that the friend would post them on her social media without his permission and without even acknowledging that he took the pictures. That's just flat out dishonest!

It has nothing to do with "professional photography etiquette." It has to do with stealing. By posting without credit, his friend knew that she would receive credit for the photos. It is, after all, her social network page. That flat out makes what she did theft, pure and simple. She wanted credit for what he did. This is proof that she is a thief, that she is not to be trusted, ever, and that she is most certainly not his friend in any sense of the word.

It's also a violation of federal law, but that's a different matter entirely.

Everything you say is technically true and I agree with it to some point. But if he handed her the images on a card, and she didnt sell them, its not exactly stealing. As photographers we need to do a better job of explaining and protecting our rights, but tone down the rhetoric so we dont come off as nuts.

sponsored links

9,895 views & 0 likes for this thread
Never Hand Anyone Your SD Card Photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.