Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 03 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 15:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Versatile Zoom Lens For Canon-5D mk ii

jrbayer89
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 03, 2012 15:17 |  #1

Hello! I recently acquired a Canon 5D mk ii (along with a 50mm f/1.4 ZE Planar T manual focus lens), and have been LOVING the video quality of the two in conjunction.

I'm looking to add a zoom lens to the mix, and am looking for something that captures an incredibly crisp image (comparable to the quality of the Zeiss, if not totally on par) and has a high zoom range (mainly because I love Wes Anderson-style crash zooms so much :mrgreen:). A relatively wide aperture for low-lighting situations would be ideal as well, but I know zooms aren't king in this department so I'd be willing to compromise.

I initially debated even picking up a zoom lens at all, since the Zeiss is so sharp and relatively versatile once you learn to harness its shallow depth of field (and because I'm more of a writer/director/filmma​ker than videographer by trade). But I'm looking to do some freelancing as well where I can't always get so close to the action, and it would be great to be able to capture ultra-crisp close-ups from a distance. Less importantly, it would be an extra bonus if I could find a zoom that can also capture pretty impressive wide angle/landscape shots.

I'm looking for the most affordable/ideal option possible, given my criteria, but definitely am not looking to be stingy in terms of sacrificing image quality and zoom range. (I'm not sure how comfortable I feel buying a lens used, but please set me straight in my ways if I'm merely being superstitious!)

Here's a 5-minute absurdist documentary I shot with the 5D last week and cut together, if anyone's interested: https://vimeo.com/4469​9884 (external link)

Thank you!

- Josh

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 03, 2012 22:39 |  #2

24-105L IS and call it a day. It has great range and IS. Check out my GEAR LIST (external link) to see what I compliment it with.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

Encrypted
587 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 03, 2012 23:02 |  #3

^ agreed. 24-105 would be your best option.

If you need a faster zoom, than the 24-70 would be an excellent choice as well.

If you need even more reach... maybe the 70-200 IS USM II

Canon 5D3 | 135 f/2.0L | 35 f/1.4L | 580EX II
Feedback :D Facebook :D (external link) Flickr :D (external link)

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 04, 2012 05:01 |  #4

What they said ^

24-105L IS is only not the best lens known to man because it isn't as fast as perhaps would be ideal when used inside.

However, Canon have just announced some new DSLR lenses which (with the 550D I think) will continuous focus. I have no doubt that there will subsequently be firmware upgrades which will allow this with other bodies. Neat.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,067 views & 0 likes for this thread
Versatile Zoom Lens For Canon-5D mk ii
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.