Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Jul 2012 (Monday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Fungus.

cannylad
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 02, 2012 14:20 |  #1

I believe my 24-70mm Canon lens has developed lens fungus, which shows up against light areas at F22. A few months ago after walking in the cold to my club i lent the lens and camera for the night to another member to take shots of the portrait night.

Later he came back saying the images were all misty, it turned out it was condensationinside the lens. When i got it home i dried it out slowly at room temperature, today when we checked it has a spiderwork network of threads from the top of the lens, on checking it seems it has fungus a not uncommon problem.

Has anyone encountered this before ? how did you deal with it,and was it expensive to treat ? Any info gratefully received.

IMAGE: http://www.yophotographer.com/images/smilies/icon_frown.gif

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

regards brian.

Brian R
Canon 5D, Canon 40D 24-70mm f 2.8 L usm, 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400mm L IS,
Canon 1.4 extender.

sponsored links
macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 02, 2012 14:51 |  #2

It might not be fungus, it might be just a pattern left on the elements after the water evaporated from getting wet inside and the internal dust.

Spots showing against light areas at f/22 are probably sensor dust and will happen with any lens stopped all the way down. You won't get a bit of fungus to directly show in pictures as it is way out of focus. Bad fungus will cause reduced contrast, haze when shooting into light, increased flare etc. Mild fungus won't show any symptoms.

I've had two lenses that had fungus or a hazy element that as a result made low contrast pictures and were prone to flare. One case was an EF 35-80 that was worth like $30 so I carefully disassembled it and cleaned the affected surfaces. It worked fine after. The other lens was a better lens but badly infected with fungus on almost every lens surface so I took to a local camera and lens repair shop and they cleaned all of the elements. It worked great after, like new.

Photo Gear

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 02, 2012 16:37 |  #3

Thanks Macroimage, your comment is appreciated, ive added a photo taken with the lens and blown up to show the filament like structure. Its inside the lens, not on the outside.

Brian R
Canon 5D, Canon 40D 24-70mm f 2.8 L usm, 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400mm L IS,
Canon 1.4 extender.

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 02, 2012 17:17 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Does it affect images at normal apertures?

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 02, 2012 17:18 as a reply to  @ Eight_Blade's post |  #5

Move to Las Vegas

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 02, 2012 17:21 |  #6

cannylad wrote in post #14661866 (external link)
Thanks Macroimage, your comment is appreciated, ive added a photo taken with the lens and blown up to show the filament like structure. Its inside the lens, not on the outside.

Wow, that is weird looking. It shouldn't be very expensive to get the lens cleaned. Normally stuff inside the lens doesn't show in the picture sharp like that. I wouldn't leave it too long. Fungus is known to eventually etch the glass or the coating. If that happens, then you might not get a perfect repair although it would still be better.

If you shine a light into the back of the lens, can you see the fungus?

Photo Gear

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 02, 2012 17:27 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Intresting - That looks like how the aliens spread in war of the worlds.
Open it up and clean with eclipse gently dry and use silla gel or rice if you dont have.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 02, 2012 17:36 |  #8

This seems unusual to me. I've never seen such a clear demonstration of fungus in an image taken with the suspect lens, only in images taken of the suspect lens elements. That it is so sharp makes me wonder if in fact the issue is something on your sensor (or rather, the integral filter just above it).

This is easily disproved though. If you don't get the same effect at f/22 with a different lens, it can't be the sensor.

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 03, 2012 00:46 |  #9

Eight_Blade wrote in post #14662005 (external link)
Does it affect images at normal apertures?

Not noticable on camera screen, but will show against light skies.

Brian R
Canon 1.4 extender.

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 03, 2012 00:52 |  #10

Thanks EP and xarqi, its only on this lens, i would not have the confidence to take apart the lens.

Mister Moose, ta for the advice :)

Brian R
Canon 1.4 extender.

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 03, 2012 00:56 as a reply to  @ cannylad's post |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

i'm not that experienced about mold on camera lenses, but being a certified mold inspector, i've seen many mold samples on glass and that doesn't look like usual growth patterns at all.

i think one of the prior members hit it right, streaks left over from drying.

Mold is tricky, sometimes when you think their should be mold from an occurrence, there won't.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 03, 2012 01:36 |  #12

cannylad wrote in post #14663629 (external link)
Thanks EP and xarqi, its only on this lens,...

OK - if that's the case, it's probably on the rear lens element - try to see it directly, by looking through the unmounted lens at a bright surface.

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 04, 2012 00:51 |  #13

Thanks Stayhumble, thats an interesting job you have, im going to visit a repair outfit soon to have an estimate, buts its interesting that some think it may not be fungal, it has grown slightly from my first noticed it, which led me to believe its not residue.

regards brian.

Brian R
Canon 1.4 extender.

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 04, 2012 00:54 |  #14

Any progress on being able to eyeball it directly?

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 04, 2012 01:42 |  #15

xarqi wrote in post #14668246 (external link)
Any progress on being able to eyeball it directly?

Cant see it through the lens, so im guessing its on one of the inner elements, it may be very small, which hopefully is a good sign.

Just like to thank all that have responded, just shows its a friendly and helpfull forum.

Brian R
Canon 1.4 extender.

sponsored links

5,641 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Fungus.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.