Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 09:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Leave gear in hotel room or bring to the beach?

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 04, 2012 09:20 |  #1

Hi. i am planning to go to miami beach in september and will stay in a hotel there for a couple of nights as well.

i will be bringing all my gear as i will be going to other places besides the beaches.

my question is should i leave my gear in the hotel whenever i go to the beach for a swim with my wife(just two of us going so no one to look after my gear in the beach) or take it with me, hide the bag amongst towels or something and keep a eye on it once in a while while in the water having fun?

Thoughts?

btw it is all insured but the catch with the "theft" part is that it is not covered if its unattended and got stolen(i checked many insureres and most ar elike that) im with photoguard by the way

http://www.photoguard.​co.uk/coversummary.asp (external link)

What is not covered
We are committed to providing you with clarity on the cover you are looking to purchase and aim to tell you the key exclusions of this policy before you buy.

Exclusions relating to theft of your equipment

Theft if the equipment is entrusted to someone else
Theft of your photographic equipment if left unattended when away from its usual insured location unless it is in a locked room, locked cupboard or locked luggage compartment of a vehicle
Theft at the insured location unless there is forcible and or violent entry
Theft when the security requirementshave not been met
The matching of a collection

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 04, 2012 10:22 |  #2

I stay in quite a few hotels, I leave stuff in the room all the time. if i'm shooting at the beach, i take it to the beach.

dustyporch
398 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 04, 2012 10:26 |  #3

rick_reno wrote in post #14669526 (external link)
I stay in quite a few hotels, I leave stuff in the room all the time. if i'm shooting at the beach, i take it to the beach.

I concur with @rick_reno...

My photos on Flickr... (external link)

pol024
167 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 04, 2012 10:29 |  #4

I leave it in the hotel room, but take a picture with my phone of the stuff in the room next to something identifiable (like hotel stationary with date written on it).

Not sure how effective this will be, but it makes me feel better :) I at least feel like it gives me a leg to stand on in the case that the stuff isn't there when I come back.

If you leave it on Miami Beach while you head in to swim with your wife its almost like you're daring some one to steal it. While not technically unattended, a thief could make off with it in plain site and there would be absolutely nothing you could do.

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,305 posts
Gallery: 784 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 04, 2012 10:31 |  #5

dustyporch wrote in post #14669537 (external link)
I concur with @rick_reno...

One more vote for Rick.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 04, 2012 11:57 |  #6

if youre not going to use it on the beach id leave it in the hotel room. if youre iffy about it being stolen in the room. pacsafe has some camera specific cases which should be enough of a deterrent to prevent it from being stolen.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Dave ­ Weldon
491 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 04, 2012 12:21 as a reply to  @ treck_dialect's post |  #7

Howdy,

If you are staying at a reputable hotel then I'd be more tempted to leave it with the hotel manager/front desk safe that is usually available to guests. There may actually be a liability clause that puts the responsibility onto the hotel at that point whereas a theft from your room is likely not covered.

See Ya, Dave

windpig
Chopped liver
14,917 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 04, 2012 12:30 |  #8

Dave Weldon wrote in post #14669953 (external link)
Howdy,

If you are staying at a reputable hotel then I'd be more tempted to leave it with the hotel manager/front desk safe that is usually available to guests. There may actually be a liability clause that puts the responsibility onto the hotel at that point whereas a theft from your room is likely not covered.

See Ya, Dave

This

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

rob0225
284 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 04, 2012 14:11 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #9

I'm curious about this exclusion, it doesn't make sense to me.

So, if your camera is at your home or place of business (which ever one is the insured location) and someone breaks in and steals it...it's not considered a covered theft? Unless I'm reading it wrong, that seems silly and not a very good policy.

http://www.randsphoto.​com (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 04, 2012 14:44 |  #10

Yeah, I agree about weird stipulations in the policy. The OP mentioned "not covered if its un-attended" and that seems unreasonable to me. When its unattended (i.e. your not there) thats when you'ld most want it covered.

When I was out at a Bird Sanctuary (had my camera and one lens with me) thugs broke into my SUV and stole by bag with all other camera gear, filters, batteries, lenses etc as well as GPS and other things from the vehicle. All was covered and replaced by Wawanesa within 2 weeks.

PS - Yeah - I leave gear in my room all the time unless I'm using it. Or with the concierge in lobby if possible. Depends on what kinda hotel it is. ;)
Chances are better that someone will steal it at the beach if your not watching then from your room.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 04, 2012 14:48 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

If you left it at the beach covered and someone stole I would bet the insurance company would say it was unattended since you weren't right next to it. Won't you be worried and constantly looking back at your gear if it's on the beach? What if someone does run off with it, are you going to swim back and run after them?

I'd leave it in the hotel. I suspect it'll be much safer there. You could even put the do not disturb sign up so housekeeping doesn't even go in your room.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,185 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 04, 2012 15:59 |  #12

rob0225 wrote in post #14670341 (external link)

I'm curious about this exclusion, it doesn't make sense to me.

they mean if the gear just vanishes without any signs that someone actually broke in then it isn't covered. i.e. if someone uses a key or wanders in thru an open door/window. You'd need to show evidence that there was a break-in, which in some cases is pretty difficult. Usual insurance company-speak for we-will-try-at-every-opportunity-to-decline-your claim.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

jonneymendoza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 04, 2012 16:23 |  #13

i'l leave it in the hotel room :)

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

rob0225
284 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 04, 2012 17:32 |  #14

joeseph wrote in post #14670713 (external link)
they mean if the gear just vanishes without any signs that someone actually broke in then it isn't covered. i.e. if someone uses a key or wanders in thru an open door/window. You'd need to show evidence that there was a break-in, which in some cases is pretty difficult. Usual insurance company-speak for we-will-try-at-every-opportunity-to-decline-your claim.

Got it. I was interpreting it wrong.

http://www.randsphoto.​com (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 05, 2012 22:38 |  #15

rick_reno wrote in post #14669526 (external link)

I'm with Rick on this as well. I spend most of the winters in Hawaii and always leave my gear in the rooms I have there. After doing this for a few years now I have yet to have a problem.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

sponsored links

3,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
Leave gear in hotel room or bring to the beach?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.