Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 15th UK South-East "Has anyone seen Wayne?" Thread (All Welcome)

this thread is locked
courier
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 04, 2012 15:52 |  #9496

Thanks all - it might be inside or out as there is a roof garden to utilise but depends on the weather!

If it's outside I might just try natural light like most of these
http://www.hip-fire.com/blog/?p=104 (external link)

The practice I did earlier in the living room I just couldn't seem to balance the light around the face with or without reflector. Hopefully the location tomorrow will just yield the results with te techniques you all mentioned - but it couldn't seem to do it here so I panicked a bit:/

That's a good example Penel :)

Gear | http://www.hip-fire.com/ (external link) | Flickr (external link)
http://rollinshutter.t​umblr.com (external link)

sponsored links
Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 04, 2012 16:02 |  #9497

ies photos wrote in post #14670606 (external link)
you'll be fine Mat with a brolly and reflector, maybe need someone to hold it up incase its windy.

I'm off the Italy on Friday for my sisters wedding(baby better not come or I'm a deadman), BBQ Friday night, Wedding on Sat, weather looks good in Genoa region. My mothers on at me to bring a camera, so annoying as they have 2 photographers booked so I told her straight today, I'll bring a softbox, flash and a few lens for the Friday BBQ but I'm not ponsing around on the day as its not on, I still don't think she got it....."but we'd like a few photos" grrr thats why your hiring people!

But Ian you know if you do your's will turn out better than the hirelings ;)

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisage.co.uk (external link)

Gundogs
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2012
3,137 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 04, 2012 16:17 |  #9498

courier wrote in post #14670684 (external link)
Thanks all - it might be inside or out as there is a roof garden to utilise but depends on the weather!

If it's outside I might just try natural light like most of these
http://www.hip-fire.com/blog/?p=104 (external link)

The practice I did earlier in the living room I just couldn't seem to balance the light around the face with or without reflector. Hopefully the location tomorrow will just yield the results with te techniques you all mentioned - but it couldn't seem to do it here so I panicked a bit:/

That's a good example Penel :)

Mat, if you are setting up before client arrives and the setup needs to work straight away - either get someone to sit/ stand in for you - or even put your hand where their face will be and adjust the reflector that way. If I'm shooting a dog / cat I use a soft toy (of the same colour if poss) in their place before they arrive so everything is ready.

Those shots from LFW are lovely though.

Penelope Malby Photography (external link)
my Facebook page (external link) my Flickr (external link) my 500px (external link)

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 04, 2012 17:13 |  #9499

Gundogs wrote in post #14669309 (external link)
Blog post is here (external link) and here's a few of my faves -
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/penel/750060049​2/  (external link)
IMG_1154 (external link) by Penelope Malby Photography (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/penel/750060365​2/  (external link)
IMG_1162 (external link) by Penelope Malby Photography (external link), on Flickr

this blue and white whippet was absolutely stunning and so well behaved too. I had his paws up on a box (that helps to keep them still!) which also helps to lengthen the front of the body.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/penel/750062091​4/  (external link)
IMG_1229 (external link) by Penelope Malby Photography (external link), on Flickr

thought this was funny!
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/penel/750061717​8/  (external link)
IMG_1224 (external link) by Penelope Malby Photography (external link), on Flickr

and this dog was gorgeous, a proper mutt - you don't see many of them nowadays!
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/penel/750062270​0/ (external link)
IMG_1234 (external link) by Penelope Malby Photography (external link), on Flickr

all done with one speedlight in a 24" softbox, in a shed :D

Beautiful shots of them Penel.

Linda

http://lindabuckell.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dragonwings55/ (external link)
Canon 7D Mk II and Canon 7D |40D |G12 | 350d (300D long gone)
400 F5.6L|70-200 F4L IS|24-105 F4L[COLOR=black] IS|18-55
Macro: 100mm F2.8L IS|100mm| F2.8 |60mm F2.8.

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 04, 2012 17:18 as a reply to  @ LindaB's post |  #9500

Couple more quickies - these shots were too far away really but managed a couple of the moment when the Kestrel descended on the Ternery pool at Rye Harbour. All hell broke out as they all lifted up off the islands. A couple of the Terns decided to chase it off lol

IMAGE: http://lindabuckell.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v49/p314158197-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://lindabuckell.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v53/p435719835-4.jpg

Wish it had been closer.

Just another two I did last night - again the eye isnt clearly showing which is a bummer but there you go lol

IMAGE: http://lindabuckell.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v48/p103675511-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://lindabuckell.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v48/p222692330-4.jpg

I have a couple of Sandwich Terns when I get a min to do them.

Linda

http://lindabuckell.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dragonwings55/ (external link)
Canon 7D Mk II and Canon 7D |40D |G12 | 350d (300D long gone)
400 F5.6L|70-200 F4L IS|24-105 F4L[COLOR=black] IS|18-55
Macro: 100mm F2.8L IS|100mm| F2.8 |60mm F2.8.

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 04, 2012 19:45 |  #9501

LindaB wrote in post #14670951 (external link)
Couple more quickies - these shots were too far away really but managed a couple of the moment when the Kestrel descended on the Ternery pool at Rye Harbour. All hell broke out as they all lifted up off the islands. A couple of the Terns decided to chase it off lol

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Wish it had been closer.

Just another two I did last night - again the eye isnt clearly showing which is a bummer but there you go lol

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

I have a couple of Sandwich Terns when I get a min to do them.

Linda

Some great pictures especially like the second one with the kestrel captures the mood nicely

ies photos wrote in post #14670606 (external link)
I'm off the Italy on Friday for my sisters wedding(baby better not come or I'm a deadman), BBQ Friday night, Wedding on Sat, weather looks good in Genoa region. My mothers on at me to bring a camera, so annoying as they have 2 photographers booked so I told her straight today, I'll bring a softbox, flash and a few lens for the Friday BBQ but I'm not ponsing around on the day as its not on, I still don't think she got it....."but we'd like a few photos" grrr thats why your hiring people!

Sounds like fun, makes it hard to enjoy a wedding if you are concentrating on pictures all day. Fingers crossed with the baby and you having a good weekend.

Gundogs wrote in post #14670631 (external link)
or.... perhaps you should ;)

:D:D:D

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 05, 2012 02:23 |  #9502

Morning all, Stanley came home yesterday. As soon as the cage was open he disappeared under the sofa for an hour or so. He soon came out though, if a little cautiously at first and explored his new home. He loves our carpet as it is quite coarse so uses it for scratching, ignoring completely the scratching post we got for him. He had a couple of goes at scratching the sofa...any tips on how to gently dissuade him from doing that?

He also decided of course that he would sleep between me & Sally last night and then at about 4am he decided it was play time and started exploring! We're a bit tired this morning! As we left for work today he retreated back to under the sofa...hopefully he's out by now and having some brekkie. :)

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 05, 2012 02:38 |  #9503

Mike wrote in post #14672470 (external link)
Morning all, Stanley came home yesterday. As soon as the cage was open he disappeared under the sofa for an hour or so. He soon came out though, if a little cautiously at first and explored his new home. He loves our carpet as it is quite coarse so uses it for scratching, ignoring completely the scratching post we got for him. He had a couple of goes at scratching the sofa...any tips on how to gently dissuade him from doing that?

He also decided of course that he would sleep between me & Sally last night and then at about 4am he decided it was play time and started exploring! We're a bit tired this morning! As we left for work today he retreated back to under the sofa...hopefully he's out by now and having some brekkie. :)

Sounds like he is settling in just fine. Of course, what he really needs now is a friend to play with :)

One of our cats sleeps between us and 4am does seem to be the sort of time that they want to start playing. Just think of him as a fury alarm clock :)

As regards scratching the sofa, we had a bout of that which was sorted by putting the scratching post directly in front of the area of the sofa he was scratching. I think we may have sprayed some catnip on the post as well but not sure about that. I'm sure others may have some tips in that department.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 05, 2012 02:47 |  #9504

Ah, catnip spray sounds like a good idea. Yes, he was full of beans at 4, I think he needed the loo though as I took him down to his litter tray and he made good use of it...seemed to settle him down for a bit. I also got him a kong kickeroo catnip toy which he seems to like wrestling with so that kept him amused while we tried to get back to sleep!
As for a friend to play with...Sally already has said we should have got 2...;)

Gear
UK South Easterners

Gundogs
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2012
3,137 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 05, 2012 03:25 as a reply to  @ Mike's post |  #9505

Aww Stanley, welcome home :D I've never managed to persuade mine not to scratch the ends of the sofa I'm afraid. If I stop them when I'm there, they do it when I'm not there. Catnip doesn't last that long - they just go into a silly coma induced kind of rolling around mental play, it probably won't encourage him to scratch the post. You could cover the end of the sofa in double sided sticky tape for a while I've heard that helps. Bet he's having a great time today :lol::lol::lol:

Linda great shots of the Tern chasing the kestrel, really like the last Tern shot too.

Penelope Malby Photography (external link)
my Facebook page (external link) my Flickr (external link) my 500px (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 05, 2012 03:59 |  #9506

Gundogs wrote in post #14672580 (external link)
Aww Stanley, welcome home :D I've never managed to persuade mine not to scratch the ends of the sofa I'm afraid. If I stop them when I'm there, they do it when I'm not there. Catnip doesn't last that long - they just go into a silly coma induced kind of rolling around mental play, it probably won't encourage him to scratch the post. You could cover the end of the sofa in double sided sticky tape for a while I've heard that helps. Bet he's having a great time today :lol::lol::lol:

Sally's popping home at lunch time...I am waiting with baited breath for news of destruction! :confused::lol: I'll remember the tip about the tape, thanks :)

Gear
UK South Easterners

bridge99
Goldmember
3,325 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 05, 2012 04:05 |  #9507

morning all, just a quick pop in and say hi as I install the 20 and last version of CS6, Mike we stopped Smudge shredding the sofa by using tinfoil as cats dont like walking on it and also getting a scratch post that is flat which screws onto the wall which is quite small and out the way..

1DX II 5DMK3 II 24-70L II 35L II 85L II 100L II 135L II 300L II 70-200L II
bridgephotography (external link) 500px (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 05, 2012 04:15 |  #9508

Ah, I will also try tinfoil, thanks :)

I got a decent scratching post so I might try rubbing it with catnip...he seeps happy to scratch at the carpet though so if the post continues being ignored I might try one of the flat scratcher on the floor.

Gear
UK South Easterners

madseavets
236 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 05, 2012 04:41 |  #9509

ThisOldHag wrote in post #14668883 (external link)
I did think of that but when you have the choice of a heavy camera bag and/or need your hands I'd imagine the weight is irrelevant. That said though, I don't know if this would be padded enough for lenses and cameras.

Those jackets have been recommended on the Moneysavingexpert site so a lot of people must find them effective. When I went on overseas diving trips I used to stuff all my heavy stuff in my coat so the pockets were bulging. Usually it was OK but one time at Gatwick, they made me put my coat on the scales with my hold luggage and carry on!

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 05, 2012 05:44 |  #9510

Grrr....my sodding phone keeps rebooting at a regular 5 minute interval. Not happy!!

Gear
UK South Easterners

sponsored links

702,128 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 15th UK South-East "Has anyone seen Wayne?" Thread (All Welcome)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.