Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Feb 2008 (Wednesday) 17:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1D Classic Lovers !!!

1Dclassic
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 08, 2012 12:03 |  #7036

Virto wrote in post #14547492 (external link)
You can get parts from eBay and independent places can still work on them, but official OEM support has been dropped.

I ask because I purchased a 1D a few weeks ago from a well-known, well respected used equipment dealer. The camera had to be sent back because the focusing was off, and they were able to verify this once they got the camera back. And it's not repairable according to Canon; the dealer actually sent it back to them and tried to get it repaired. Now I'm contemplating going for a 1D II instead...but only if they're going to be readily repairable for a few more years.

btw, how much is a used 1D (classic) worth for parts?

sponsored links
Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 08, 2012 12:08 |  #7037

Not much. In fully working condition, you'd be challenged to sell a 1Dc with battery and charger for more than 400, maybe 450 if it's immaculate.

The charger is often worth as much or more than the body, if it's the OEM charger. The 1D2 also uses this charger, and they sell for 200 or more on eBay, because aftermarket offerings are terrible.

A 1D2 that encounters the same problem your 1D has will probably be met with the same response from Canon. Thanks for your business, sorry we can't help you, please buy a new camera.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

1Dclassic
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 09, 2012 08:06 |  #7038

Virto wrote in post #14550734 (external link)
Not much. In fully working condition, you'd be challenged to sell a 1Dc with battery and charger for more than 400, maybe 450 if it's immaculate.

The charger is often worth as much or more than the body, if it's the OEM charger. The 1D2 also uses this charger, and they sell for 200 or more on eBay, because aftermarket offerings are terrible.

A 1D2 that encounters the same problem your 1D has will probably be met with the same response from Canon. Thanks for your business, sorry we can't help you, please buy a new camera.

What does "not much" for a broken 1D for parts body mean? Assuming in great condition. $200? $30? $2? ???

btw, the 1D II is still mostly repairable by many indep shops...I checked with someone who knows. Now let's just hope Canon doesn't go the way of Nikon and stop selling parts to these shops.

rddelliott
206 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 09, 2012 09:21 as a reply to  @ 1Dclassic's post |  #7039

Remember, the 1D II has been dropped by Canon as far as service goes.

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 09, 2012 12:27 |  #7040

1Dclassic wrote in post #14554215 (external link)
What does "not much" for a broken 1D for parts body mean? Assuming in great condition. $200? $30? $2? ???

btw, the 1D II is still mostly repairable by many indep shops...I checked with someone who knows. Now let's just hope Canon doesn't go the way of Nikon and stop selling parts to these shops.

I'd say 100 bucks, maybe. You're talking about a 10+ year old camera being used for parts. Anything on or in it can go at any time, and you'd need to worry about finding someone to tear down two camera to swapped used parts.

Yes, the 1D2 can be serviced independently, but Canon no longer produces replacement parts. They do provide parts to users and other shops (really, wtf Nikon?) but once they're gone, they are gone. There will be no further production run.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

Shipley
44 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 10, 2012 20:46 |  #7041

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

I'm probably gonna kick myself but... my minty one is up for sale if anyone's interested
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14560377#po​st14560377

This thread sold me on getting one a long time ago and i've loved it but tying up too many funds in another body due in Monday so the smart move is me letting it go... Can't say i'll be sad if it sticks around though either ;)

Haven't been contributing to this thead though i've been checking up on it for ages so here's one for fun from last Halloween..

IMAGE NOT FOUND

kay188
825 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 10, 2012 21:10 |  #7042

Shipley wrote in post #14560437 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I'm probably gonna kick myself but... my minty one is up for sale if anyone's interested
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14560377#po​st14560377

I kind of want to take your minty 1D, even thought I have one already. The classic is just perfect. My sigma lenses does not want to focus accurately with my 1D2's, yet it does with every body I've tested with along with the 1D.

I grab the 1D just for it's autofocus with my Sigma's.
I gotta use stupid Canon lenses with the 1D2's. Such a shame.

Ricoh GRD4 | Canon 1Ds, 1D, 1D2, 1D2n| Canon XTi | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 16-35L I | Canon 24 F/2.8 | Canon 35 F/2 | Canon 50 F/1.8 I | Canon 135L | Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro | Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 APO EX DG | Sigma 30 F/1.4 |Sigma 50 F/1.4 |Sigma & Kenko 1.4x TC| Canon 580EX II | Sigma EF-500 Super | 2x Vivitar 285HV | RF-602 Triggers |

Shipley
44 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 11, 2012 20:56 |  #7043

Ahh... guess I should have put the for sale up here before taking the deal I found on my IIN and we could have made a trade but then that's the only reason it went up for sale heh. Guess I better check out my Sigmas on the new one. They were always perfect on my Classic, hopefully I don't have the same issues.

Definitely let me know if you're interested before I talk myself into keeping both ;)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 21, 2012 22:40 |  #7044

Here's one of mine from a couple of years back. Sure do miss it.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

barronchung
200 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 21, 2012 23:24 |  #7045

FWIW if anyone needs a charger and doesn't want to pay $150+ for a used Canon one, I purchased a $30 ebay R/C battery charger (supports nicad, nimh, lipo, etc) and it works fine charging/discharging the NP-E3. It comes with the AC brick as a separate unit or built into the charger for the same price:

http://www.ebay.ca …rgers&hash=item​27c5855b78 (external link)
http://www.ebay.ca …rgers&hash=item​2ebec0610f (external link)

The charger came with an adapter with alligator clips and there's just enough room to clip the main battery terminals to make it work (there's a polarity detector as well that shuts down the charger, in case you reverse it). You're able to set the discharge/charge rates so it is more flexible than the OEM Canon one, and in fact if you set it to the minimum 0.1a to slow discharge/charge you are theoretically doing more good to the life of the battery than with the higher rates the Canon charger does so. I guess the Canon charger is aimed more for quick charging (that's what "pro"s would want anyways) which isn't the best for the battery.

It is able to save your settings so you can just recall whatever you used last for a particular type of battery, and it also allows you to do several cycles one after the other. I'm on 3 of 3 cycles on the battery I'm cycling right now--I just told it nimh battery, do 3 cycles at 0.1a discharge, 0.1a charge, and it's all unattended so I don't have to keep hitting "refresh" to start a new cycle. I suppose you could use it for any other battery in your house if it's a supported type, so it's well worth the purchase if you ask me!

Apologies to anyone who might be trying to sell their Canon charger right now, if this post reduces the demand when people realize it's not the only charger that can do it!! lol

Some bodies, some lenses, and that's all I'll list in case the wife sees this. ;)

maatt
241 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 21, 2012 23:26 |  #7046

All this love makes me want to grab one over another 40D. Hmm, think it'll go good for a backup/primary at times with a nifty fifty?

e=mc ** 2

minitrucker
197 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 25, 2012 22:10 as a reply to  @ maatt's post |  #7047

Love it with a nifty, myself.....but really, I just plain love it :D

Photography on my budget? WHAT WAS I THINKIN?!:confused:

meno222
133 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 25, 2012 23:59 |  #7048

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/meno222/kids/7E3B1137.jpg
love my classic

6D
ef 200mm 2.8 ver.1/sigma 100-300mm F4 /yn468 speedlight/canon 1.4 tc

Steveod
766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 05, 2012 03:48 |  #7049

Time I bumped this thread so here is the wee fella at the skate park on his scooter taken last Sunday. EF 100 f2.0

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 05, 2012 06:10 |  #7050

^^^Nice photo^^^ and it's good to see someone still using the beast. I got used to seeing the 1D Classic thread on page 1 here all the time. Now it seems it's starting to slide down further all the time like the 1DS Classic. Keep them coming Steveod.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

sponsored links

1,211,488 views & 33 likes for this thread
-=1D Classic Lovers !!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.