Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 12:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anti thieving?

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 05, 2012 04:22 |  #61

NicuB wrote in post #14672537 (external link)
Is it Romanian an official language in Italy / Vatican? Because otherwise I would say that since it is not an international language you are just trying to say that the thieves are Romanian. Care to elaborate?

It's been a problem in Western Europe for several years. See HERE (external link). The real villains are the gang-masters back in Romania.

~ Wallace
Gear List

sponsored links
NicuB
82 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 05, 2012 07:38 as a reply to  @ xhack's post |  #62

@xhack I do not want to start any flame and I totally respect your opinion on this, but let me tell you the way I see it.

First of all you are giving me a link from a newspaper, which in my opinion is not most trusted source. What is the percentage between the Romanians and locals in your prison? Do you have any figures for that? It was always like this, as far as I remember, Eastern European are to blame. I understand that your government with help from media is trying to put the blame on others, but you need to understand also that the facts are a bit different.
And do not get me wrong. I do not like gipsies either. But let's make a difference between gipsies that are not Romanians ( even if they are coming from Romania ) and Romanians.

I hope all of us on this forum are photographers, and the nationality does not matter.
Cheers

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 05, 2012 09:19 |  #63

Youngback wrote in post #14636167 (external link)
SoC: I get 2 bags under 23kg. My clothes and other stuff in the other backpack usually weighs around 12kg. If you go someplace hot, you don't need much.

MakisM1: Touche. I did say it was unorthodox though.

You obviously haven't spoken to my wife. :) I can't envision a scenario where we would travel with more pounds/kg of camera gear than clothes.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 05, 2012 09:42 |  #64

NicuB wrote in post #14672979 (external link)
@xhack I do not want to start any flame and I totally respect your opinion on this, but let me tell you the way I see it.

First of all you are giving me a link from a newspaper, which in my opinion is not most trusted source. What is the percentage between the Romanians and locals in your prison? Do you have any figures for that? It was always like this, as far as I remember, Eastern European are to blame. I understand that your government with help from media is trying to put the blame on others, but you need to understand also that the facts are a bit different.
And do not get me wrong. I do not like gipsies either. But let's make a difference between gipsies that are not Romanians ( even if they are coming from Romania ) and Romanians.

I hope all of us on this forum are photographers, and the nationality does not matter.
Cheers

I agree this is not the forum for this issue; however, it was you who asked for elucidation, and I have provided it.
Please feel free to pm me if you wish to continue the discussion.

~ Wallace
Gear List

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 05, 2012 11:02 |  #65

Look at these straps which have two steel cables in them to prevent slash and grab thefts.

http://www.corporatetr​avelsafety.com …pjre24ufu24s2a1​9bspeeepb1 (external link)

They are also available on the www.corporatetravelsaf​ety.com (external link) site for shoulder bags.

I've used them all over the world in tough situations.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jul 05, 2012 12:10 |  #66

tvphotog wrote in post #14673750 (external link)
Look at these straps which have two steel cables in them to prevent slash and grab thefts.

http://www.corporatetr​avelsafety.com …pjre24ufu24s2a1​9bspeeepb1 (external link)

They are also available on the www.corporatetravelsaf​ety.com (external link) site for shoulder bags.

I've used them all over the world in tough situations.

Do you use them at home?

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 05, 2012 17:45 |  #67

neil_r wrote in post #14673993 (external link)
Do you use them at home?

Yes. The strap in the photo has a sliding pad, and I like that because I can more easily bring the camera to my eye...the POTN strap neoprene catches on my shirt or jacket. I have one for each of my two bodies. I like the POTN for show, but it really doesn't work as well as these. Also, they're more discrete, no red and white logos over everything.

The only disadvantage is that the wire straps don't fold as flat as the cloth ones, but are about as bulky as the POTN.

New York is theft central, just as is any big city, and I don't mind at all using these straps here. Gives me a feeling of confidence, actually. But I always keep an eye out.

Always insure your stuff on a home owner's policy, that's a no brainer for me.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Steve ­ of ­ Cornubia
459 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 05, 2012 20:09 |  #68

An Australian woman in Thailand died recently as a result of, witnesses said, hanging on to her handbag when two motorbike-riding snatchers tried to grab it. When she wouldn't let go, they stabbed her. I say this not to discourage people from defending their property, but to highlight what a complicated world we live in. Choices are rarely straightforward.

5D MK3, 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 16-35mm f/2.8L, EF 1.4x TC MKIII, Nissin Di866 II, Nissin Di466
I hate being bipolar. It's great.

peezie
42 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 05, 2012 21:02 as a reply to  @ post 14608547 |  #69

I'm Late to the party but...I would leave the 70-200 at home and enjoy my holiday. I went on a 6 week trip through the Philippines and Hong Kong a year ago and I got tired or carrying only some of my gear. I carried a 7d 24-105, 50/1.8, and a 20/2.8, flash, tripod and some filters. After 3 weeks i mainly used the 24-105 almost exclusively on a day to day basis. No bag i just slung it over my shoulders and was always aware of my surroundings.

By the way I have insurance on all my stuff. I pay $113 a year for $10K worth of Camera stuff and Computers(2). Its a personal articles policy from state farm.

sponsored links

9,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anti thieving?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.