Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Jul 2012 (Monday) 10:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm Kicking CD's To The Curb...!

gravy ­ graffix
Goldmember
1,134 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 03, 2012 23:12 |  #31

sounds like you need to sell more prints! lol.. jk..
I did a quick blog on this kinda thing a while ago...

http://shannonpricepho​to.com/2011/08/i-need-the-cd/ (external link)

Peoria IL Wedding Photographer (external link) Chicago Wedding Photographers (external link)

sponsored links
2ndshooter
42 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 04, 2012 08:56 |  #32

Dan Marchant wrote in post #14662448 (external link)
You also shouldn't be making such a decision without proper market info. So what % of new machines being sold have no optical drive? Is it 90%, 60%, 40%, 10%?

From what I can see (without bothering to do any actual research) it is just the ultra slim laptops that have no OD and they don't make up a sizeable chunk of the market. Lastly most of those people will still have some way to access OD, either an external OD or a second computer on their home network that has an OD.

Well, some things to consider are that a majority of computing devices sold today are mobile... So no optical drives. Also, Apple is removing or has remived optical drives in most of their computers. (Macbook air, mac mini, and now some macbook pros) Our business' Target market is a mac user... One telling sign is that more people use Safari to view our website than Internet explorer.

PCs have been slower to dump optical drives, because Windows lacks an app store for distribution of software. I feel like that will change with the new version of windows, and we will start to see more and more windows computers without optical drives.

The only future proof form of distribution is digital (over the Internet), where even a smartphone can access their images.

Another reason why we do not offer DVD's in our packages, is that our state does not tax services... But If those services are used for the creation of a product (even just a DVD), then you must charge sales tax on the entire amount. In order to save out clients hundreds in taxes, we offer them their Images digitally, and then they can purchase a dvd, prints, albums, etc afterwards, as part of a separate sale.

SmokeySiFy
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 04, 2012 11:29 |  #33

Look up usb business cards. Many options available and you can easily add stickers or have them custom printed. I have recieved one from a manufacturer advertising their new product. It was a hit with us and the novelty of it made us share it with others in the office just to talk about the presentation.

It was sturdy and looks like it could last as long as a cd.

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

MadisonPhotography
355 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 04, 2012 13:02 |  #34

We quit burning any CDs last year and have never looked back. We order zip drives in quantity with our logo already imprinted and our customers love them.

Nick

FeXL
493 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 04, 2012 18:46 as a reply to  @ MadisonPhotography's post |  #35

We still burn CD's/DVD's for two reasons:
1) Our disks are always burned after an event & then mailed out. CD cost, printing, CD envelopes, mailers & associated postage is reasonable (around 3 Canuck bucks for the lot). We charge $5 to mail out a CD/DVD.

2) So far, we haven't found imprinted thumb drives at a cost that comes anywhere near that, then throw special envelopes & more expensive postage on top. Last I checked, well over $10. Sure, the end user gets a reusable thumb drive but our household already has probably a dozen of those floating around at any given time, many at the bottom of a drawer. I'm sure most other households have a handful, too. We would also have to add an additional $10 to an order with images on a thumb drive (around a 15% increase).

A side note: We have considered online downloads but decided for our business model we preferred that the client receive something tangible with the images on it. It seems more...personable that way.

Things will change at some point in the future, I'm sure. At that point we'll re-examine the options.

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 04, 2012 19:15 |  #36

I am going to be changing from a shoot and burn option to a shoot and upload option. I already upload images to a personalized gallery so I will just have the client download them from there. No more DVDs to mess with and ship out. A DVD will be a a la carte item now with an additional cost.

I am looking to get rid of any overhead I can and this way helps. Saving tax as well will be a benefit to the client. Other wedding photos have already moved to this method and they are having good results from it.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

ColeSales
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 05, 2012 23:57 |  #37

2ndshooter wrote in post #14669184 (external link)
Well, some things to consider are that a majority of computing devices sold today are mobile... So no optical drives. Also, Apple is removing or has remived optical drives in most of their computers. (Macbook air, mac mini, and now some macbook pros) Our business' Target market is a mac user... One telling sign is that more people use Safari to view our website than Internet explorer.

PCs have been slower to dump optical drives, because Windows lacks an app store for distribution of software. I feel like that will change with the new version of windows, and we will start to see more and more windows computers without optical drives.

The only future proof form of distribution is digital (over the Internet), where even a smartphone can access their images.

Another reason why we do not offer DVD's in our packages, is that our state does not tax services... But If those services are used for the creation of a product (even just a DVD), then you must charge sales tax on the entire amount. In order to save out clients hundreds in taxes, we offer them their Images digitally, and then they can purchase a dvd, prints, albums, etc afterwards, as part of a separate sale.

Thank You!

Cole Sales Photographer, LLC
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)
Help People + Your Talent = Purpose

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 06, 2012 23:48 |  #38

ColeSales wrote in post #14660370 (external link)
Stuart, I feel that all of the other photographers in my area offer just blank CD's...I'd' like to be different and maybe start a trend. Also, they're an eye-catcher!

Are you putting all the pictures on a cd for them? Ive noticed that the cheaper photographers tend to take the pictures and burn them to the cd and are done with the customer, and don't usually make more than $100 on a portrait. They could make much much more if they focused on non digital file merchandise.

Perhaps you are trying to compete with the wrong crowd? :)

I havent made a cd for a customer in a long time, if they buy digital files *priced to be worth my while* they get emailed to them or uploaded to a clouddrive with a link. Much faster turn around than mailing a cd.

Canon investor

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 07, 2012 20:22 |  #39

scorpio_e wrote in post #14661115 (external link)
Those are both tacky in my opinion. I would not use either one.

I like the film roll one, but only for my own use.

sapearl wrote in post #14661137 (external link)
That is a true statement, but...............you still may need to deal with the subsequent phone calls. Sure it was there fault, but in the interest of customer service it may end up tying up your time. Accidents DO happen, and not everybody is computer savvy. I'm sure you wouldn't phrase it this way, but you don't want to tell them: "Sorry, not my problem."

Remember, from the standpoint of an efficient business model, you want an easy and hassle-free process here.

The client should be charged for a replacement (provided the photog still has the files), but at a reduced price. The photog is only making new copies, not recreating the images.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

GergReltub
48 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 08, 2012 16:02 |  #40

Use the DVD/CD, but charge for it in a package that includes a print package. And also offer an alternative without the DVD/CD, that comes with a lower price.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 70-200 f4 L, Canon 24-105 f4 IS L, Canon 300 f4 IS L, Tamron SP AF Di 90mm MACRO, 2 580EX II strobes, PocketWizard MiniTT1 with 2 FlexTT5 receivers, Slik Pro 700 DX tripod w/ Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ballhead and Really Right Stuff Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot Package. Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, Photomatix Pro, Topaz Labs, IMac,
http://primefolio.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm Kicking CD's To The Curb...!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.