Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Jul 2012 (Friday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to deal with client who wants all the photos

jamesb
383 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 06, 2012 08:47 |  #1

A friend of mine always has this come up. He may deliver anywhere between 7-900 photos on average, but the bride comes back and asks for all the photos taken. This current bride asking, is basically asking for all the photos from all 3 photographers, which amounts to around 5k + photos. From the times i've seen it happen, he complys and gives them to him. I tell him he should charge and put a clause in the contract about how "digital negatives", RAW files, etc. are not included in the price agreed upon. Only the photos that the photographer deems good will be edited and put on the delivered DVD.

Any tips on some different ways to word this on the contrat and in response to the bride/grooms request? I'm drawing a blank on a good way to go about this.

I'm currently writing my contract and want to include something of the sort seeing how many times it has come up for him.

Canon gear
CT Wedding Photographer
www.jamesbernatchez.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 06, 2012 08:52 |  #2

Tell the clients that the duds will be deleted...and actually delete them. Put this in the contract. If they don't exist they can't be delivered. There's really no point archiving junk anyway, so you'll get the added bonus of freeing up hard drive space.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 06, 2012 09:01 |  #3

Hey James! I agree with CDI - just tell the client that the photos delivered are all the photos, and the others have been deleted. Can't deliver what doesn't exist.

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 06, 2012 09:09 |  #4

*another agreed

no photo shall leave your workroom that is not processed and acceptable to the photographer
rejects are automatically deleted
oh...and NEVER tell a client how many shots you took
if they don't know you are delivering 300 out of 1000 shots, its all the better.

jamesb
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 06, 2012 09:14 |  #5

cdifoto wrote in post #14678233 (external link)
Tell the clients that the duds will be deleted...and actually delete them. Put this in the contract. If they don't exist they can't be delivered. There's really no point archiving junk anyway, so you'll get the added bonus of freeing up hard drive space.

StephenAndrew wrote in post #14678280 (external link)
Hey James! I agree with CDI - just tell the client that the photos delivered are all the photos, and the others have been deleted. Can't deliver what doesn't exist.

Accessoire wrote in post #14678323 (external link)
*another agreed

no photo shall leave your workroom that is not processed and acceptable to the photographer
rejects are automatically deleted
oh...and NEVER tell a client how many shots you took
if they don't know you are delivering 300 out of 1000 shots, its all the better.

Yep, good ideas. If it's in the contract that they signed that should be good. I'm going to work something up to include that states this.

Canon gear
CT Wedding Photographer

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 06, 2012 09:24 |  #6

This is what my contract says, (originally from PPA, modified by me):

Coverage: Because a wedding is an uncontrolled event, Photographer cannot guarantee delivery of any specifically requested image(s). Every reasonable effort will be made to take requested pictures, but no specific pose or photograph can be promised. Any lists supplied will be used for organizational purposes only. Images determined by the photographer to be substandard or duplicated may be edited out. The Photographer will use her professional judgment and sole discretion to select which photos to deliver. Such selection shall constitute all images that will be made available to Client.

Photo Discs: Two identical DVD’s will be mailed to Client within 2 weeks of the wedding date. The discs will contain high-resolution jpeg images. Photographer will make every effort to accurately document the wedding day events, but which images are included on the discs are at the sole discretion of the Photographer.

Upon receipt of a photo DVD, Client accepts all responsibility for archiving and protecting the photographs. Photographer does not permanently archive image files. Photographer is not responsible for the lifespan of any digital media provided or for any future changes in digital technology or media readers that might result in an inability to read discs provided. It is Client's responsibility to make sure that digital files are copied to new media as required.

A written release will be supplied with the photo disc. The release grants Client the right to reproduce the images provided for their personal use only and does not allow the photos to be altered, sold or published. Client further agrees not to supply images to any third parties (including vendors associated with the wedding) or authorize any images for commercial use or photographic competition or display, unless permission has been granted via e-mail correspondence by Photographer.

I also repeat the same phrase about "which images are included on the disc" in a few other sections. So the point is hard to miss. I've had one bride ask how many photos I take and deliver, and I explained that I like quality over quantity, I do my best to cover everything in the wedding, I will not purposely cut anything/anyone out to hit a "quota," etc. She could receive 200 or 500 photos--it all depends on the wedding. She was looking at 7 other photographers and hired me, I like to think it was my great speech about quality over quantity :-D

I also delete any duds. I will keep 'okay' photos that arent great, but might be requested, just in case. But I dont tell the couple that I do this.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 06, 2012 09:28 |  #7

mirrorrim wrote in post #14678383 (external link)
I also delete any duds. I will keep 'okay' photos that arent great, but might be requested, just in case. But I dont tell the couple that I do this.

If I kept only what I consider great, the couple would get...three. I find it very difficult to impress myself.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 06, 2012 09:33 |  #8

cdifoto wrote in post #14678396 (external link)
If I kept only what I consider great, the couple would get...three. I find it very difficult to impress myself.

bw!

3 would be a GREAT shoot by my books.

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 06, 2012 09:33 |  #9

bride: where is the first kiss photo??
photog: I deleted it, your eyes were closed.

:D

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 06, 2012 09:34 |  #10

cdifoto wrote in post #14678396 (external link)

Haha but it's all about what impresses the clients!

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 06, 2012 09:40 |  #11

mirrorrim wrote in post #14678420 (external link)
Haha but it's all about what impresses the clients!

Yes they're quite easily excited; especially with the couple's portraits. Chicks dig romance. Get 'em to kiss & cuddle & have her looking good and you've earned your pay.

xburrows
71 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 06, 2012 09:46 |  #12

Accessoire wrote in post #14678419 (external link)
bride: where is the first kiss photo??
photog: I deleted it, your eyes were closed.

:D

HA! :D

jamesb
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 06, 2012 10:03 |  #13

mirrorrim wrote in post #14678383 (external link)
This is what my contract says, (originally from PPA, modified by me):

I also repeat the same phrase about "which images are included on the disc" in a few other sections. So the point is hard to miss. I've had one bride ask how many photos I take and deliver, and I explained that I like quality over quantity, I do my best to cover everything in the wedding, I will not purposely cut anything/anyone out to hit a "quota," etc. She could receive 200 or 500 photos--it all depends on the wedding. She was looking at 7 other photographers and hired me, I like to think it was my great speech about quality over quantity :-D

This is very good. I plan to use this to help me create mine. Thanks :)

Canon gear
CT Wedding Photographer

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 06, 2012 10:14 |  #14

Shoot better. I've had friends that had the same issues and they have all told me it was from their weaker shoots.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 06, 2012 10:58 |  #15

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #14678644 (external link)
Shoot better. I've had friends that had the same issues and they have all told me it was from their weaker shoots.

Hogwash. Perfection is impossible.

sponsored links

5,917 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to deal with client who wants all the photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.