Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AF problems with your 40mm Pancake? Please post your Serial Number.

josupi
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 06, 2012 09:04 as a reply to  @ post 14677868 |  #16

happened quite often in the beginning
everything working fine the last couple of days

maybe a problem with the electrical contacts, now working better with several mountings and unmountings of the lens or the frequent use of the AF/MF-switch

tried to push the lens barrel in manually very gently a few times with no negative effect
(did this with 3 or 4 fingers, not just one finger on one side)

9021106xxx
with 5D III latest firmware

sponsored links
dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 06, 2012 09:07 |  #17

Good point. It maybe be that the drive is a bit stiff to start with. I did find mine took a bit more effort to mount on my camera than my other lenses, but now its not so bad.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

hammer418
Goldmember
2,108 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 06, 2012 11:38 |  #18

NikStar wrote in post #14677808 (external link)
I've got a 90212xxxxx and I haven't had this happen, though, because of seeing this mentioned before I'd gotten mine, I've made sure to not push the lens in. I switch it to MF and turn it in using the focus ring. No issues.

Same here ! :D

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 06, 2012 12:56 |  #19

NikStar wrote in post #14677808 (external link)
I've got a 90212xxxxx and I haven't had this happen, though, because of seeing this mentioned before I'd gotten mine, I've made sure to not push the lens in. I switch it to MF and turn it in using the focus ring. No issues.

Excellent. Thanks for this. As you can see, there's a few 90212xxx lenses in the 'affected' list, so it's good to know that it's not just the lens. What came were you using?

Might be worth adding to first post. Same goes with hammer418 if you can give some details of your lens if it's similar and no issues.

hammer418
Goldmember
2,108 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 06, 2012 13:06 |  #20

mrkgoo wrote in post #14679409 (external link)
Excellent. Thanks for this. As you can see, there's a few 90212xxx lenses in the 'affected' list, so it's good to know that it's not just the lens. What came were you using?

Might be worth adding to first post. Same goes with hammer418 if you can give some details of your lens if it's similar and no issues.

Yes, good idea mrkgoo.
My lens is marked #890101xxxx, and I'm using it on a 50D.

brambo76
285 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 06, 2012 13:12 |  #21

never had it happen until yesterday when it stopped focusing. I tried gently pushing the barrel in, but couldn't reproduce the issue. I think this lens is going back.. can't have this happen at critical moment.

6D / Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art / ST-E2 / manual lenses + adapter / Canon 28mm 2.8 IS / Tamron 70-300mm VC
Equipment List / Feedback

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 06, 2012 13:14 |  #22

dave_bass5 wrote in post #14678313 (external link)
Good point. It maybe be that the drive is a bit stiff to start with. I did find mine took a bit more effort to mount on my camera than my other lenses, but now its not so bad.

Actually, it's good to know all the small details. Yes, min was very stiff to mount initially also.

brambo76
285 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 06, 2012 13:17 |  #23

i noticed that mine was a bit stiff to mount as well in the beginning

6D / Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art / ST-E2 / manual lenses + adapter / Canon 28mm 2.8 IS / Tamron 70-300mm VC

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 06, 2012 17:58 as a reply to  @ brambo76's post |  #24

hammer418 wrote in post #14679465 (external link)
Yes, good idea mrkgoo.
My lens is marked #890101xxxx, and I'm using it on a 50D.

Thanks, glad to hear you're not having any issues...thanks for the S/N I'm thinking about adding a green list for lenses with no issues, but I don't want it to get too cluttered/too confusing...still, if there's a demand for it, I'll do it :)

brambo76 wrote in post #14679491 (external link)
never had it happen until yesterday when it stopped focusing. I tried gently pushing the barrel in, but couldn't reproduce the issue. I think this lens is going back.. can't have this happen at critical moment.

I'm sorry to hear that :( Would you mind telling us the serial number, so I can add it to the list? Thanks!

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

brambo76
285 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 06, 2012 18:02 |  #25

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14680945 (external link)
Thanks, glad to hear you're not having any issues...thanks for the S/N I'm thinking about adding a green list for lenses with no issues, but I don't want it to get too cluttered/too confusing...still, if there's a demand for it, I'll do it :)

I'm sorry to hear that :( Would you mind telling us the serial number, so I can add it to the list? Thanks!

already did~! you added me mistakenly as 90211XXXXX on 5d3.

I have 5D2... it should be 90211XXXXX on 5D2
wish I had 5D3 haha

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 06, 2012 18:13 |  #26

brambo76 wrote in post #14680959 (external link)
already did~! you added me mistakenly as 90211XXXXX on 5d3.

I have 5D2... it should be 90211XXXXX on 5D2
wish I had 5D3 haha

Thanks...and oops...sorry for the mistake, I'll edit it right now. :) Everyone these days seems to be shooting 5D3 these days haha, I guess my brain automatically went there.

-=Gear=-

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 07, 2012 07:53 |  #27

Just a thought - leaving the last five! digits as an XXXXX. Really is too many variables to provide any meaningful batch traceability. Er that's 99,000 units.
I think the thread is a brilliant idea - just the implementation is more than questionable.
I will provide my serial number for the thread with the last 2 digits as XX, if I have a problem, as it could be a really useful indicator of ranges to avoid. Especially if it were replaced.

BTW can anyone explain the reasons for confidentiality on a lens? Other than giving cloners a real number to fake up [So put XX]. I totally understand the reasons relating to a camera body, as they carry / are linked to content i.e. the pictures someone took. By that I'm happy for ANY agency to see any of the pictures I have ever taken. But I wouldn't want to give a criminal my 7D serial number that maybe? he could manipulate the EXIF data file to look like my camera took a given picture.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 07, 2012 08:39 |  #28

Submariner wrote in post #14682905 (external link)
Just a thought - leaving the last five! digits as an XXXXX. Really is too many variables to provide any meaningful batch traceability. Er that's 99,000 units.
I think the thread is a brilliant idea - just the implementation is more than questionable.
I will provide my serial number for the thread with the last 2 digits as XX, if I have a problem, as it could be a really useful indicator of ranges to avoid. Especially if it were replaced.

BTW can anyone explain the reasons for confidentiality on a lens? Other than giving cloners a real number to fake up [So put XX]. I totally understand the reasons relating to a camera body, as they carry / are linked to content i.e. the pictures someone took. By that I'm happy for ANY agency to see any of the pictures I have ever taken. But I wouldn't want to give a criminal my 7D serial number that maybe? he could manipulate the EXIF data file to look like my camera took a given picture.

Thanks, I agree with you, 5 X's is too much, which is why I originally asked for 3, which helps narrow it down. I would be EXTREMELY happy if people would provide me the SNs with only the last 2 or 3 numbers X'd out!! But I don't want to pressure people either :)

I never understood the real world point of hiding an SN either...but I knew lots of people are concerned about it, so I thought I'd make this thread friendly for them :)

-=Gear=-

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 07, 2012 12:47 |  #29

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14682999 (external link)
Thanks, I agree with you, 5 X's is too much, which is why I originally asked for 3, which helps narrow it down. I would be EXTREMELY happy if people would provide me the SNs with only the last 2 or 3 numbers X'd out!! But I don't want to pressure people either :)

I never understood the real world point of hiding an SN either...but I knew lots of people are concerned about it, so I thought I'd make this thread friendly for them :)

I appreciate why you did it that way and also see their concern ref the cameras ID for the above reasons.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 07, 2012 17:18 |  #30

I think the point isn't for batch traceability as such YET.... I mean we don't even know what range they have.

Just trying to see if there's a consensus. I don't really see any reason to hide lens serial number either, but it's generally a US thing to worry about identity theft to a big extent, and that this would be an extension of that. Not that it's not a concern for others, just that Americans tend to take it more seriously, and I think for good reason - there's a lot of Americans and a lot of stuff is centered around institution there.

For the record, my serial after the first 5 is 00. I don't think it represents 99000 lenses either. It's possible it only goes up a certain number depending on how many they roll of the line at a go, and then roll up one of the earlier digits for example.

sponsored links

30,406 views & 0 likes for this thread
AF problems with your 40mm Pancake? Please post your Serial Number.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.