Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Feb 2012 (Monday) 06:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD Announced!!! Stabilized 24-70!

DDL
450 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 04, 2012 18:56 as a reply to  @ post 14671189 |  #1786

Mine's (Serial # 00008xxx) gone back!

I started to notice that the hit rate on focusing wasn't as high as expected and sometime the lens wouldn't lock before the opportunity was gone (even after +8 MA at 24 and 70 mm).

Then a few times the lens would get pinned past infinity focus, jerk back to infinity and then turn out again to the past infinity focus end of travel; this cycle would repeat 4 to 6 times. This occurred more at 70 mm versus 24 mm and usually within the first few shots of usage. This focus issue also occurred with the VC off.

Fortunately the lens acted up exactly this way on a demo body when I was at The CameraStore and they credited my purchase back to me as they didn't have another Tamron lens in stock plus I didn't want the hassle of having to send a lens back for warranty repair within 2 weeks of purchase.

Now the question is another Tamron 24-70VC versus the Canon 24-70 MK II. Even for more $ I'm leaning towards the Canon if it has quicker more accurate focus as I'm using the lens for dance recitals, etc. so focus speed and accuracy is important in lower light and I'm shooting at way faster shutter speed than 1/(2x Focal length) on a 7D so VC/IS/OS has now become a tiebreaker point with me as opposed to a neccessity.

I hope to see some reviews on the new Canon 24-70 Mk II in the near future prior to acquiring another lens in this focal length range.

DDL

GearList

sponsored links
Marsu42
51 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 05, 2012 16:58 |  #1787

DDL wrote in post #14671270 (external link)
I hope to see some reviews on the new Canon 24-70 Mk II in the near future prior to acquiring another lens in this focal length range.

You'll have to wait longer for the new Canon, it just has been delayed until nearly October...

DDL wrote in post #14671270 (external link)
Then a few times the lens would get pinned past infinity focus, jerk back to infinity and then turn out again to the past infinity focus end of travel; this cycle would repeat 4 to 6 times. This occurred more at 70 mm versus 24 mm and usually within the first few shots of usage.

* What are "a few times"? Like 1 in 10/100/1000? How long did you test the lens before you recognized the af problems? This sounds like a broken lens to me and the infamous Tamron qc issues.

* And did you or anyone else experience the focus jumps with vc on (see also this thread: http://www.canonrumors​.com …/index.php?topi​c=7662.0): (external link)

https://vimeo.com/4520​1876 (external link)
password: tamron

DDL
450 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 05, 2012 18:14 |  #1788

Marsu42 wrote in post #14675342 (external link)
You'll have to wait longer for the new Canon, it just has been delayed until nearly October...

* What are "a few times"? Like 1 in 10/100/1000? How long did you test the lens before you recognized the af problems? This sounds like a broken lens to me and the infamous Tamron qc issues.

* And did you or anyone else experience the focus jumps with vc on (see also this thread: http://www.canonrumors​.com …/index.php?topi​c=7662.0): (external link)

https://vimeo.com/4520​1876 (external link)
password: tamron

Yes i saw the Canon lens delay but can use my 17-55IS while waiting (although just slightly short at the long end in some dance studios). I can also use the 17-55IS to shoot stabilized video should i want to do so.

The past infinity focus problem could usually be repeated within the first couple of shots taken after turning the camera on at least half the time during the last days of owning this particular lens. It was only during the last few days of ownership where the problem occurred so frequently that i could no longer deny there was an issue.

Yes when focusing the image would noticeably jump when snapping to focus. I seem to feel that this was not as noticeable at the beginning of this lens ownership as opposed to the days immediately prior to return.

I've tested the lens and used at several family events over the two weeks i owned it. Most of the pictures that weren't focused properly were my fault (shooting moving kids too slow) but the no focus lock and/or infinity focus hammering were more noticeable as mechanical events rather than a blurry picture. Only picture issue noted was low contrast with very bright backlighting (e.g. Sun behind subjects but not in picture frame, hood on, no flaring noted) but i didn't play with the metering enough (probably still on evaluative). My color post a week or so ago gave no indication of this as indoor shooting looked good.

Never really noticed onion bokeh but maybe that occurs closer to lens edge and i was shooting on crop.

In a dark room i got a borderline usable picture with VC on at iso 3200 and 1/3s shutter speed at f/2.8 so the VC was awesome.

DDL

GearList

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 08, 2012 01:37 |  #1789

DDL, why not just get the 24-70L version 1, no matter what the folks in this thread say, it's been one of the best walk around lenses on the market for years....Love mine.

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

DDL
450 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 08, 2012 08:59 |  #1790

thatkatmat wrote in post #14686206 (external link)
DDL, why not just get the 24-70L version 1, no matter what the folks in this thread say, it's been one of the best walk around lenses on the market for years....Love mine.

I've heard that some people have had issues (not sharp focus. field curvature, ...) with the older version plus there aren't any new locally in stores to try and I'm hesitant to spend that kind of money used where it may take me a while to find an issue (if not blatantly obvious at time of purchase).

If not impressed by the new MK II then I may have to go this route.

DDL

GearList

belias1989
148 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 08, 2012 09:18 |  #1791

Third Party lens just don't make sense set aside the price difference. Canon is an optical manufacturing company and it is much wise to buy a lens that is match for the body. Just saying.

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 08, 2012 09:37 |  #1792

I'm sure "some people" have, like any other lens, but, all mine have been bullet proof.....Good luck and thanks for sharing your experience...

DDL wrote in post #14686992 (external link)
I've heard that some people have had issues (not sharp focus. field curvature, ...) with the older version plus there aren't any new locally in stores to try and I'm hesitant to spend that kind of money used where it may take me a while to find an issue (if not blatantly obvious at time of purchase).

Stuff
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 08, 2012 10:17 |  #1793

I think most people say it's a great lens. I believe they would also say that Tamron's version has IS and is much lighter.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 08, 2012 10:56 |  #1794

doesn't mean it's still the best.

(obviously depends on individual's definition of "the best".)

5D3 and a few lens
es.

tancanon58
965 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 08, 2012 11:40 |  #1795

belias1989 wrote in post #14687054 (external link)
Third Party lens just don't make sense set aside the price difference. Canon is an optical manufacturing company and it is much wise to buy a lens that is match for the body. Just saying.

That is really not true since you are a Canon lover (maybe) and you can afford their lenses whatever the price they sell. Give a chance to people who can only afford third party lenses.

Bodies: 5D MkIII/ Oly ED-M5/ G10
Lenses: Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC /and some Panny and Oly lenses.
Flash: Canon600EX RT.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 08, 2012 11:50 |  #1796

saying that one company is an optical manufacturing company doesn't mean much in the world of optics.

almost ALL [commercial and industrial] optics are made in china or somewhere else that can make them cheaply...

as far as optics are concerned:
the difference is the ability to (cost)effectively implement quality control.

what that means for us: optics don't mean much in terms of focus REPEATABILITY...

thats the feedback and control system and how well it plays with the camera in your hand.

I highly suspect the new 24-70VC would play just fine on a 1Ds(1, or 2).

"just saying"

tancanon58 wrote in post #14687559 (external link)
That is really not true since you are a Canon lover (maybe) and you can afford their lenses whatever the price they sell. Give a chance to people who can only afford third party lenses.

that wasn't ENTIRELY necessary :p

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 08, 2012 14:44 |  #1797
bannedPermanent ban

Ummmm, my Zeisse glass are manufactured to match my canon cameras very precisely. They deliver outstanding images. I don't see what you gain by disregarding 3rd party glass. I can see you lose a lot.

DDL
450 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 08, 2012 15:25 |  #1798

Hogloff wrote in post #14688172 (external link)
Ummmm, my Zeisse glass are manufactured to match my canon cameras very precisely. They deliver outstanding images. I don't see what you gain by disregarding 3rd party glass. I can see you lose a lot.

Unfortunately there's more to it than just optical quality; on autofocus lens there are electrical communications as well which is where most third party lens issues are as most OEMs don't release the communication protocols or autofocus routines. On manual focus lens this isn't an issue so optical and build quality are the main things to check.

DDL

GearList

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 08, 2012 16:25 |  #1799

I didn't say it was the best, I said it has been one of the best.... are you saying the Tamron is?

HyperYagami wrote in post #14687384 (external link)
doesn't mean it's still the best.

(obviously depends on individual's definition of "the best".)

Stuff

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 09, 2012 08:31 |  #1800

DDL wrote in post #14686992 (external link)

Another issue I see with going with the MK1 route right now is that the prices are artificially inflated. Since the announcement of the MK2 at such a high price point, the market for the v1 lens has been asking for, and apparently getting much higher prices. I was looking at the 24-70 myself but the prices just keep going up.

sponsored links

407,982 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD Announced!!! Stabilized 24-70!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.