Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 08 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 11:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Astronomy and Celestial NOOB has questions.

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 08, 2012 11:22 |  #1

Hi, I'm a total noob when it comes to taking photos at night, of the stars or anything that requires long exposures due to little to no light, such as stars.

I decided to go out into my back yard and snap a few test shots to play with some settings. I realize the back yard in suburbia isn't an ideal place to try to get the stars, but I just wanted to see what I could come up with. I didn't really know what to use for my settings, it became pretty clear to me quickly that having the lens in AF mode wasn't going to work. I guess you all know this, but I didn't, lol, told you total NOOB.

Anyway my first test shots were of just my house using long exposures to see if I could get enough light from the neighbors back porch lights, to see my house. It worked, but there seem to be a lot of little spots in my shot, and thats the first thing I want to ask here. What are these spots caused from, is it good, bad, camera malfunction etc?

I was using my 5D Mark II and 24-70 lens.

Here is the photo you can see all the EXIF information with it...
http://www.flickr.com …/in/photostream​/lightbox/ (external link)

I later pointed at the most stars in the sky I could see with my naked eye and dorked with the settings and got these two shots...can't tell if those same spots are in it or not, as its mostly a starlit sky...

http://www.flickr.com …528268934/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

http://www.flickr.com …528270574/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

So really I am just curious what all the "firefly" type spots are in that first link, if its correctible or if its a defect in my camera?

sponsored links
HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 08, 2012 11:44 |  #2

The "spots" are called hot pixels (http://en.wikipedia.or​g …_pixel#Bright_d​ot_defects (external link)), they are normal for long exposures. You can use dark frame subtraction to remove them (http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Dark-frame_subtraction (external link)).

For your sky shots, try ISO 3200, 30s and f2.8 and see if you can get more stars pictured. It will be pretty hard though because of the light pollution. You may be able to get an image of the Milky Way galaxy though. That's a popular subject for people shooting stars.

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 08, 2012 12:02 |  #3

Thanks Harold. I knew there was a name for those spots! I appreciate your info here.

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 08, 2012 13:42 |  #4

HaroldC3 wrote in post #14687571 (external link)
The "spots" are called hot pixels (http://en.wikipedia.or​g …_pixel#Bright_d​ot_defects (external link)), they are normal for long exposures. You can use dark frame subtraction to remove them (http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Dark-frame_subtraction (external link)).

For your sky shots, try ISO 3200, 30s and f2.8 and see if you can get more stars pictured. It will be pretty hard though because of the light pollution. You may be able to get an image of the Milky Way galaxy though. That's a popular subject for people shooting stars.

So even though hot pixels are normal for long exposures, this many seems pretty alarming to me, but maybe its because I'm not an expert. Do most high end cameras experience this in the same situation?

dougj7
95 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 08, 2012 14:02 |  #5

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #14687948 (external link)
So even though hot pixels are normal for long exposures, this many seems pretty alarming to me, but maybe its because I'm not an expert. Do most high end cameras experience this in the same situation?

Yes, all cameras will have hot pixels during long exposures due to heat build up on the sensor. That's why most dedicated astrophotography cameras will have some sort of cooling. Usually thermoelectric cooling (TEC).

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 08, 2012 14:27 |  #6

Oh ok, I see. That makes sense. Ok, tonight I'll try the new exposure tips and see how it goes.
Let me ask you all this...when setting up the image, framing it, its hard to see anything in the view finder or live view, how do you know how or where to focus so that you get the stars in focus? Since I had to set it into MF I didn't quite know where to focus, I was just turning and praying etc...how do you do that for those kinds of shots, especially if you can't see much when in the city?

I would guess if I were doing say a night city scene, I'd just try to focus on something that had any light at all in the frame of where I wanted the shot and subject, but with stars its a lot different.

dougj7
95 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 08, 2012 14:37 as a reply to  @ ChrisMc73's post |  #7

stars will be in focus at infinity. the problem is that most lenses will focus past infinity, so it becomes a guessing game. try the program in the link below. it uses a focus method called FWHM.

http://www.ideiki.com/​astro/ (external link)

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 09, 2012 06:56 |  #8

HaroldC3 wrote in post #14687571 (external link)

I tried these settings last night, no luck, too much light pollution from the suburbia.
I guess most folks get away and out into the country away from city lights when they capture the really good stuff? If only this dad of a 1 and 3 year old could do that one day...

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 09, 2012 18:16 |  #9

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #14688105 (external link)
Oh ok, I see. That makes sense. Ok, tonight I'll try the new exposure tips and see how it goes.
Let me ask you all this...when setting up the image, framing it, its hard to see anything in the view finder or live view, how do you know how or where to focus so that you get the stars in focus? Since I had to set it into MF I didn't quite know where to focus, I was just turning and praying etc...how do you do that for those kinds of shots, especially if you can't see much when in the city?

I would guess if I were doing say a night city scene, I'd just try to focus on something that had any light at all in the frame of where I wanted the shot and subject, but with stars its a lot different.

Move the camera to something in the sky that IS bright enough to see, and focus on it. Then move to your subject. Just like focusing and recomposing something on the ground.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 09, 2012 22:57 |  #10

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #14687948 (external link)

Yep. My 5DII gets them, as does my other two EOS bodies. Pretty typical as the sensor heats up during long exposures. The more long exposures you do the more hot pixels show up.

You can attempt to remap the sensor. Remove lens, attach the body cap, then put camera in Manual Clean mode (in the camera's menu). The mirror will flip up, leave in this mode for about 30 to 60 seconds and DO NOT remove the body cap. After 30 to 60'ish seconds turn power off on the camera - you'll hear the mirror drop down again. If hot ones don't go away after doing this then run it again. I run my bodies through this after doing long exposures as to minimize the issue for the next time I shoot long exposure.

What I do with my 5D2 and 24-70 is zoom out to 24mm, find a star or group of stars in the viewfinder and try to get a good focus while focus ring is near Infinity. Near, as in, slight backed off Infinity. Then switch on Live View and hit the zoom button (on upper right on back of camera body) a couple times until you're at 10x in the LCD screen. Now manually focus to get an even sharper focus on the stars. I'm a Noob at this too and find focusing this way works best for me.

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 10, 2012 09:39 |  #11

Thanks guys, I'll give these suggestions a shot this week. Its hard to find time to get out under the stars with a 1 and 3 year old, lol...but I'm not giving up.

nburwell
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 11, 2012 12:38 |  #12

I think the most important thing, as it has already been stated here, is to get away from the light pollution. I know it can be hard getting away being a father and all. But you have the right equipment to photograph the stars. Maybe if you're able to scout out a place beforehand and get away for a night (make sure it's a clear night) you could probably capture way more stars and even the Milky Way.

I'm a noob at astrophotography as well, but I'm just learning as I go along.

Best of luck!

-Nick

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 13, 2012 00:15 |  #13

Thanks Nick, I'm hoping to get away soon. Need to scout some locations.

sponsored links

2,237 views & 0 likes for this thread
Astronomy and Celestial NOOB has questions.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.