Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Jun 2012 (Friday) 06:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Extension tubes?

rmsprs
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 24, 2012 01:02 |  #16

Jon wrote in post #14618030 (external link)
Unless you already have a macro lens, the tubes and the MP-E 65 serve different purposes. An MP-E 65 gives you only 1:1 - 5:1 capabilities. A set of 3 tubes will typically be able to just barely get a 50 mm past 1:1; it'll offer even less magnification with longer lenses. With an existing macro lens, a set of tubes will let you work into the 2:1 range, but that's about it. Adding a TC between the tubes and the camera will about double that, though.

Thanks bw!

Rebel XS/1000D 18-55mm

sponsored links
rmsprs
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 24, 2012 01:04 |  #17

Nature Nut wrote in post #14622332 (external link)
The Kenko tubes are great, I use them with my nifty fifty for a budget macro setup. Here are some sample pics I took the other night with this setup, hand held and a flash. Forgive the NC-17 threesome ;)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_9780 (external link) by Nature Nut 84 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_9778 (external link) by Nature Nut 84 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9774 (external link) by Nature Nut 84 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9746 (external link) by Nature Nut 84 (external link), on Flickr

The images are darn good! nice captures. Apparently kenko are best within the budget option.

Rebel XS/1000D 18-55mm

rmsprs
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 24, 2012 01:06 as a reply to  @ post 14622332 |  #18

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!

IMG_9780 (external link) by Nature Nut 84 (external link), on Flickr

That's more like an Inter-racial bug threesome.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rebel XS/1000D 18-55mm

sploo
premature adulation
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 24, 2012 11:31 as a reply to  @ rmsprs's post |  #19

Just echoing a positive note for the Kenko tubes. I had a set for my old Minolta film SLR (using with a 28-85mm lens), and a set now for a 7D (usually used with a Tamron 70-300mm).

I've found the tubes don't seem to work too well with my EF-S 15-85, but with the 70-300 set to 100mm the results are pretty good.

As I do a reasonable bit of macro, I later bought the 100mm L. In comparison, I'd say the zoom with the tubes is still worth using occasionally - though be prepared to do a lot of manual focussing.

Zooming the lens (with tubes in place) will affect focus, so sometimes a slight adjustment to the focal length will help get your target in focus. A cheap focussing rail is also useful.

You may also find a tripod ring for your lens helps, as a telephoto zoom plus extension tubes can be pretty unwieldy.

Finally, even if you're thinking of later going for a macro lens, remember that the tubes are still worthwhile - adding extension tubes to a 100mm macro can get you seriously close!

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 24, 2012 13:40 |  #20

I was chatting with BasAndrews down in the macro section, and he uses Polaroid tubes and if the photos he's posts are a sample he gets some amazing results. Said they cost about half what the Kenko tubes cost.

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 24, 2012 14:51 |  #21

rick_reno wrote in post #14625192 (external link)
I was chatting with BasAndrews down in the macro section, and he uses Polaroid tubes and if the photos he's posts are a sample he gets some amazing results. Said they cost about half what the Kenko tubes cost.

IQ between the cheapest tubes and Canon tubes will all be the same, no glass to get in the way. The Polaroid looks like it could be a good value. I would keep one hand on the lens until they proved to be reliable.

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 26, 2012 04:33 |  #22

rick_reno wrote in post #14625192 (external link)

Ive been meaning to pick up a set of the Polaroid ones for a while. On amazon uk they are indeed half the price of the kenko set and seem to be almost the same.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

birderman
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 26, 2012 07:02 |  #23

Whilst many users swear by Kenko tubes, pirmarily because of the electrical contacts, I personnally believe they are probably more expensive than need be and believe that cheaper alternatives (with the contacts) are available through many ebay sellers and the like. There does appear to be a couple of different versions some with plastic mounts and some with metal mounts. I chose a set with metal mounts which I believe should be much better and longer lasting than plastic mounts. Since ETs do not have any optics there is not going to be a great difference in IQ between unbranded and branded variants. However, It could be worth checking that the internals are matt finsihed to prevent unwanted reflections and that the joints between each are light tight. If necessary it shouldn't be too difficult to improve cheap versions with a coat of paint and maybe some use of balck tape, but the ones I have purchased didn't required any DIY mods.

HTH

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 27, 2012 04:37 |  #24

I would think that one of the most important things for ETs is that the front and back mounts be parallel. Has anubody tried testing to see if the focal plane is no longer parallel to the sensor plane when used with cheap ETs?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 08, 2012 14:36 |  #25

Are there any rules or calculations one can use to figure out the effect a particular extension tube has on a particular lens?

I understand some brands still have the contacts, but does it convert everything properly? I mean, for example, my Canon TC will add that into the lens exif so it would says 'Canon EF 70-200 f/4 l + 1.4 TC' in the exif.

I imagine the canon extensions will do that, and possibly even convert the focus distance info in the exif. Do the kenkos do that?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,853 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 08, 2012 14:42 |  #26

mrkgoo wrote in post #14688137 (external link)
Are there any rules or calculations one can use to figure out the effect a particular extension tube has on a particular lens?

I understand some brands still have the contacts, but does it convert everything properly? I mean, for example, my Canon TC will add that into the lens exif so it would says 'Canon EF 70-200 f/4 l + 1.4 TC' in the exif.

I imagine the canon extensions will do that, and possibly even convert the focus distance info in the exif. Do the kenkos do that?

Ignoring a lens' own ability to focus as close as 3' MFD, if the lens it set to Infinity focus the macro reproduction ration is simply

Extension mm / Focal length mm = mag factor

50mm extension with 50mm lens = 1:1 repro
50mm extension with 100mm lens = 1:2 repro
50mm extension on 25mm lens = 2:1 repro

There is no 'conversion' necessary, as the aperture itself has NOT changed. But since the extension causes the image circle to grow larger at the focal plane, there are fewer photons per unit area, resulting in perceived loss of light.
Electrical contacts simply allow you to focus with wide open aperture, then automatically stop down to shooting aperture when you press the shutter release.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 08, 2012 14:48 |  #27

Wilt wrote in post #14688166 (external link)
Ignoring a lens' own ability to focus as close as 3' MFD, if the lens it set to Infinity focus the macro reproduction ration is simply

Extension mm / Focal length mm = mag factor

50mm extension with 50mm lens = 1:1 repro
50mm extension with 100mm lens = 1:2 repro
50mm extension on 25mm lens = 2:1 repro

There is no 'conversion' necessary, as the aperture itself has NOT changed. But since the extension causes the image circle to grow larger at the focal plane, there are fewer photons per unit area, resulting in perceived loss of light.
Electrical contacts simply allow you to focus with wide open aperture, then automatically stop down to shooting aperture when you press the shutter release.

Interesting thank-you.

So what happens on my 100mm macro, with say, a 25 mm extension?

I was mostly curious as to the change in MFD, as opposed to magnification rates.

And as for 'conversion' rather than aperture or anything optical, I was just wondering if all the exits were updated accordingly, for example letting you know an extension tube was used etc. or a closer focus distance, for example, say you had a 50mm and an extension tube allowing you to focus closer than 0.45m... Will the exif in the photo reflect that?

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 08, 2012 15:05 |  #28

mrkgoo wrote in post #14688137 (external link)

No, the Kenko tubes do not do that.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 08, 2012 15:09 |  #29

Mark-B wrote in post #14688266 (external link)
No, the Kenko tubes do not do that.

Thanks.

Hopefully the canon ones do.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,853 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 08, 2012 15:57 |  #30

birderman wrote in post #14633138 (external link)
Whilst many users swear by Kenko tubes, pirmarily because of the electrical contacts, I personnally believe they are probably more expensive than need be and believe that cheaper alternatives (with the contacts) are available through many ebay sellers and the like. There does appear to be a couple of different versions some with plastic mounts and some with metal mounts. I chose a set with metal mounts which I believe should be much better and longer lasting than plastic mounts. Since ETs do not have any optics there is not going to be a great difference in IQ between unbranded and branded variants. However, It could be worth checking that the internals are matt finsihed to prevent unwanted reflections and that the joints between each are light tight. If necessary it shouldn't be too difficult to improve cheap versions with a coat of paint and maybe some use of balck tape, but the ones I have purchased didn't required any DIY mods.

HTH

As I am not an avid macro shooter, but only use extension tubes to occasionally permit a bit closer focusing with medium tele lenses, ( e.g. for tight headshots), I decided to try the plastic mount tubes with electrical contacts.
I am not using these with any super teles which might put undue strain on the mount. I can stack all three tubes and maintain communication with my lens, although some owner reports claim that stacking will break communication. This, for less than 1/2 of a used set of Kenkos.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

4,717 views & 0 likes for this thread
Extension tubes?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.