Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 03 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 17:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Crop Camera Challenge #11

Idlefrog
THREAD ­ STARTER
709 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 09, 2012 04:15 |  #31

I have also really struggled to make my choice. There are elements I like in all of them. I like the firework shots, but in the end for me it came down to either Rawshorty's "On the Lake" or Jabtas's "Drilling Rig".

I am going to vote for Rawshorty as I could see that picture on my wall.

Andrew Reynolds
My Photos (external link)

Canon 6D, EF 100mm F2.8 IS L Macro, MP-E 65, EF 24-105mm F4 L, Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD

sponsored links
rawshorty
Cream of the Crop
5,578 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 09, 2012 05:07 |  #32

Great entries from everyone this week and i too have been having a hard time to pick a winner, but after going through them for hours my vote goes to Edmund. I like how there is movement every where but the statue is still with his hand up as if to say "slow down people". Again well done everyone for some great pics.

I prefer to be in the bush with the animals than a crowded city.
Shorty

masterwillems
502 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 09, 2012 09:49 |  #33

Great shots indeed!

My vote goes out to: rawshorty - Carillion

The sky is really amazing and the silhouettes from the tree's and the bridge is very nice lit :).

Hello!
Gear

Name:
Jeroen

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 09, 2012 10:24 |  #34

Once again, great entries everyone
Nice to see that this little comp is getting more popular as the weeks go on

Ok here goes my words of wisdom, advice or just plain personal musings on everyones entries ;)

Madjack, Firepalm - nice colourful fireworks shot, not sure whether it was cropped or SOOC but foe me it needs a little bit more space to get all of the bursts in the shot. Great exposure tho and the 5s works well to include lots of movement in the flares

masterwillems - great shot of the typical deserted gas station we have all seen in the movies, excellent exposure gives just enough light to illuminate the road but still prevents any blowing out of the lights

highergr0und - another great firework shot, this time with the whole explosion in the shot which for me gives a much greater balance within the image, only let down by the fact it was handheld

rawshorty, Carillion - great shot of an amazing structure, also taken at the right time of the evening to still hold some colour in the sky. The stillness of the water really does help with the mirror image to balance out the shot

rawshorty, On the lake - soryy, not a big fan of this one. The shot overall seems too dark and too distant, apart from the points of lights very little detail is visible

idlefrog - great interpretation of the theme, out of the two images I think I prefer the flashing light mode. Almost looks like a swarm of fireflys have invaded your garden

Islandhitman - great sky in this shot, I'm also a big fan of the way the lights are turned into stars by the use of a small aperture

Madjack, STOP-GO? - Excellent use of the long exposure, maybe a slight tweak to the WB but other than that a great 'light trails' shot

edmyloo - WOW, what a place. as previously mentioned, the contrast between the seemingly rapidly moving people and the immobile statue really does work well together

Taking all of the above into account, my final vote goes to rawshorty's Carrilion shot
In a word, SUPERB !!!!

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtas (external link)

madjack
Goldmember
1,969 posts
Gallery: 179 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 10, 2012 02:28 as a reply to  @ jabtas's post |  #35

Looks like rawshorty takes the win... Congratulations rawshorty! Whats the next challenge?

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

rawshorty
Cream of the Crop
5,578 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 10, 2012 02:42 |  #36

Thanks for the votes and kind words guys. I must admit i was very happy with my result with the Carillon shot, i got there early to set up and by the time i left there was about a dozen people there taking photo's of it.
Now a quick question i have noticed we had 2 #10 challenges and on the thread page this was #11 but on Andrews OP it is #12 so shall i make the next one #13 ????? it will be our thirteenth one after all.

Shorty

Idlefrog
THREAD ­ STARTER
709 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 10, 2012 02:48 |  #37

Madjack pointed out to me the last one should be #12 but when I tried to change it the entry in the index didn't change just my original post. The next one should be #13.

Andrew Reynolds
My Photos (external link)

Canon 6D, EF 100mm F2.8 IS L Macro, MP-E 65, EF 24-105mm F4 L, Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD

rawshorty
Cream of the Crop
5,578 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 10, 2012 03:03 |  #38

New one is up https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205334

Shorty

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 10, 2012 04:30 as a reply to  @ rawshorty's post |  #39

Two number 10's was my fault, sorry guys
Like Andrew, I went back to change it but was unable, I even PM'd a mod buy it still remained

Tim

rawshorty
Cream of the Crop
5,578 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 10, 2012 04:39 |  #40

No problems, Tim. It is only a little thing just thought i would get it back on track. On a side note perhaps we could start a thread to show what challenges have been used so far so new guys that win can see what has been done allready.

Shorty

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 10, 2012 11:20 |  #41

There is the original reference thread here
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1151246

But its not been updated much of late, looks like cuba is MIA

rawshorty wrote in post #14695546 (external link)
No problems, Tim. It is only a little thing just thought i would get it back on track. On a side note perhaps we could start a thread to show what challenges have been used so far so new guys that win can see what has been done allready.

Tim

sponsored links

4,248 views & 0 likes for this thread
Crop Camera Challenge #11
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.