Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 09 Jul 2012 (Monday) 10:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Editing Time for Weddings

foreverframes
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 09, 2012 10:15 |  #1

I have been dabbling in photoraphy for about 4 years now, started out as a hobby and now I am getting serious in advertising and making it a business. I just did a wedding and two weeks after the event the client is already asking for her photos. I love pro- active brides, however I am not a magician and simply refuse to rush my editing process. I make sure my client knows it may take several MONTHS for me to finish the whole process. I was just wondering how long it usually takes others from start to finish?

Also, I am new to the forum and am always looking for critiques and advice... Here is my web page, needs to be updated soon. http://foreverframes.n​et/Foreverframes.net/H​ome.html (external link)

sponsored links
mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 09, 2012 10:33 |  #2

If wedding photography is not your full time job, I could see a wedding taking a couple months to edit, because you have to work around your day job. But if this is not the case, are you extremely busy? Are you photographing a wedding every weekend? If so, a couple months also seems okay. But if neither of these are true, then it should definitely holy-freakin-hell-NOT be taking SEVERAL months to finish a wedding.

I'm also new to the business, and I promise my brides that I will mail their DVDs of edited images within 2 weeks of their wedding date. I've heard of other photographers promising 2-4 weeks, or 4-8 weeks on average, depending on how you work. But several months (3+), in my opinion, is too long.

You should update your website. Wordpress plus a $35 theme work and look great for a minimal price. Your landing page should have larger photos to impress your potential clients, instead of the same pic of a little girl repeated several times. Also, I really wanted a scroll bar in your wedding gallery. It was annoying clicking the arrow repeatedly to move to the next image.

foreverframes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 09, 2012 10:47 |  #3

Thanks for the tips on the website, I will definitely make improvements. Photography is not my full time job, wish I could do it all day, but it is just not feesable for me at this time. :(

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,859 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 09, 2012 10:54 as a reply to  @ foreverframes's post |  #4

Just my .02 - I think 2 weeks is too long for the initial edits, more like you should have them done in a week. As far as months to complete - only if you're designing and providing a album.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

foreverframes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 09, 2012 11:02 |  #5

I probably should have made it more clear, from start to finish is with the images edited and prints and all in hand. I always provide the cd, slideshow dvd and an album. None of my packages come without some sort of print.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,109 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 09, 2012 11:49 |  #6

D Thompson wrote in post #14691795 (external link)
Just my .02 - I think 2 weeks is too long for the initial edits, more like you should have them done in a week. As far as months to complete - only if you're designing and providing a album.

I agree. The order process is out of someone's hands, so you are at the mercy of the company doing the work. However, if you expected the client to pay 100% up front, I think you should be working on their product and get their product completed. If I was only waiting for photos and not some coffee table book, I'd be upset as hell to be waiting more than a few weeks. If you are too busy to get it done, then maybe you shouldn't be accepting so much work. JMHO

-What gets said when you hire a contractor do do work on your house, then they only show up one day a week, or 4 hours here and 4 hours there... You would NEVER recommend them to anyone and one would probably say they shouldn't even be in the business or shouldn't be accepting so much work.

bdpaco
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 09, 2012 11:57 |  #7

I have 2-5 images edited that night and on my facebook page with the couple tagged before anyone else from the wedding can post their pics. Clients usually have the initial edits within 3-5 days and the final images on CD with in 3 weeks..Prints are delivered within 1 week from the time the couple orders their images...

My Blog
http://rickbandaphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)
My Website
www.rickbandaphoto.com (external link)

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 09, 2012 12:10 |  #8

What is the bride's expectation? Does she expect delivery within 2 weeks? Or was this not part of the contract or any discussions?

Setting the B/Gs expectations is a part of the process. But if it takes longer than 4-6 weeks, there better be a good reason (like it was a 3-day wedding and you're processing 10,000 images!), regardless of whether or not it's your full-time endeavor.

Just my opinion.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 09, 2012 12:21 |  #9

I promise 1 month in the contract, though very often deliver the images in a couple of weeks. Just Friday eve I had a 2.5 hour engagement shoot and this morning (monday morning) I made all of the images available.

That said, I can totally appreciate that when things are really hectic (4+ weddings in a month) and you have things going on in your life--vacation, trips--the full month is totally reasonable.

I think if you take two months to edit photos you're not devoting yourself sufficiently to this business and are just taking on too much--with your 9-5.

Your other problem, as pointed out, is that you likely didn't set expectations properly. You need a contract, and you need to make clear what service you offer and how you deliver it.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 09, 2012 12:25 |  #10

I should also add--how good are you at being efficient at editing ? I find I can cull + edit an 8-hour wedding in about 12 hours, which I usually split up into 3 4-hour days. If pushed I could finish in a day and a half. How long do you estimate your processing will take in man-hours ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

foreverframes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 09, 2012 12:25 |  #11

This particular bride had a photographer cancel on her last minute. I only had two weeks notice for the wedding. I did have her sign a contract the week before, I tried to set up a quick consultation but she didn't seem it necessary. I am planning on making an informational packet to go along with my contracts now, that way everything is out in front of what to expect in case a consultation isn't a possibility like this scenario.

foreverframes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 09, 2012 12:28 |  #12

If I had the ability to sit down and do nothing but edit, I'd say it would take me about 12-16 man hours to complete a wedding. (The bride wasn't upset that the photos weren't ready, she was just wondering about them)

tnis0612
233 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 09, 2012 12:42 |  #13

On our website in our FAQ section is says we will get the photos back in roughly 2 weeks (uploaded to their online viewing gallery, no prints). We don't specify in our contract though. We also work full time and will be doing 10 weddings this year. Having them done in two weeks definitely requires some time committment most nights after work and a while on the weekends. We figure it takes 2 hours editing for every hour shooting and edit and deliver about 100 photos per hour shooting. Hope that helps. As others have said I agree that multiple months is just too long. That's not to say there arent plenty of successful photographers that take that long, but when we start going full time I plan to have each wedding edited and on their viewing gallery before the couple gets back from their honeymoon.

5d Mark II, 7D
17-40L, 35L, 50L, 85 1.8, 70-200 2.8L IS II
www.stevenandlilyphoto​graphy.com (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 09, 2012 13:01 |  #14

ScullenCrossBones wrote in post #14692168 (external link)
What is the bride's expectation? Does she expect delivery within 2 weeks? Or was this not part of the contract or any discussions?

foreverframes wrote in post #14692252 (external link)
This particular bride had a photographer cancel on her last minute. I only had two weeks notice for the wedding. I did have her sign a contract the week before, I tried to set up a quick consultation but she didn't seem it necessary. I am planning on making an informational packet to go along with my contracts now, that way everything is out in front of what to expect in case a consultation isn't a possibility like this scenario.

What did the contract say? If it's in there, and it's more than 2 weeks, your response is simply "Per the contract you signed, the images will be available in XYZ timeframe. If they are available before that, I will be sure to let you know." If you don't have delivery terms in the contract.... good luck. Hopefully you can give that Bride a reasonable time frame and deliver ahead of schedule.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 09, 2012 13:07 |  #15

foreverframes wrote in post #14692261 (external link)
If I had the ability to sit down and do nothing but edit, I'd say it would take me about 12-16 man hours to complete a wedding. (The bride wasn't upset that the photos weren't ready, she was just wondering about them)

12-16 hours takes "several months" to finish?

In all honesty, from the pov of a consumer you managed to take a situation from, "The photographer saved my wedding!" to, "Dealing with photographers is such a pain."

If you put yourself out there as a professional then you need to produce like one. She may not havr said she was upset but you're not likely to get a good referral from her.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

sponsored links

1,600 views & 0 likes for this thread
Editing Time for Weddings
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.