Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 03 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MK III upgrade or D800?

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 03, 2012 22:50 |  #16

tim wrote in post #14667920 (external link)
Shooting couples doing their energetic first dance in a room lit only by fairy lights it took 1-2 seconds to focus, it was awful. With a speedlite it was very quick.

I would have to agree with this.

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,940 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 04, 2012 08:26 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #17

I have zero experience with Nikon. I've been shooting canon since 1973. But i am very familiar with the entire canon line up and I have used everything except the giant telephotos (400mm and up).

My suggestion is to pick a camera line and stick with it. Canon and Nikon both make very fine cameras and lens. The argument B/t which line is best comes from photographers and gear junkies. No client of a professional photographer would ever be able to tell which camera took a picture,,,nor would 95% of the photographers out there.

Of the canon cameras on the market new or used, the 5D3 is one of the best ones you can get. Its as good as the 1DsMKIII for low iso (100-1000 ISO ) settings but blows it away from 1600 ISO and up. The AF systems on the 5D3 and the new 1Dx are the best you will get so my suggestion is to keep your glass, invest in that 1 time, and update your camera body based on your needs. Your paying for a deadly accurate AF system on the 5D3. IQ & ISO performance are not valid reasons to upgrade over the current 5D2. If you consider that the 1Ds costs $7000.00 for the camera, the the 5D3 is a bloody steal at $3500.00....its that good.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 04, 2012 09:11 |  #18

umphotography wrote in post #14669099 (external link)
Your paying for a deadly accurate AF system on the 5D3. IQ & ISO performance are not valid reasons to upgrade over the current 5D2.

+1. IQ and ISO performance of 5DII is more than enough for wedding photography. If you feel that its AF performance is limiting you then 5DIII is the logical upgrade.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 04, 2012 14:53 |  #19

umphotography wrote in post #14669099 (external link)
My suggestion is to pick a camera line and stick with it. Canon and Nikon both make very fine cameras and lens. The argument B/t which line is best comes from photographers and gear junkies. No client of a professional photographer would ever be able to tell which camera took a picture,,,nor would 95% of the photographers out there.

Canon focus issues took a lot of professionals to Nikon. The 5D3 may finally have fix it, which will stop a lot of the people thinking of moving, but I doubt will get many back. With a long history of focus issues many professionals won't trust Canon for a while.

Most customers can tell when prints aren't sharp. I also found with Canon I overshot and worried more about focus, which limited my creative ability.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 04, 2012 15:01 |  #20

Well, the issue with the 1DIII was what prompted folks to jump to Nikon from what I recall. Fortunately, I have never had issues with the 2 I owned. The 7D I owned briefly so I can't really speak for it, but it's not uncommon to read about AF issues. Otherwise, while the AF on the 5D2 is basic, the center AF point is solid. The 1D4 has a solid AF system except when shooting in low light in AI servo. That was a show stopper for me. The 5D3 has been fantastic. The best AF system I've used to date. I suspect the 1DX will top that by a decent margin. So I'd say Canon has gotten their act together.

I found the Nikon AF (D700, D3, and D3s) to be solid. The only thing I didn't like was that the cross type AF points are clustered in the center columns. Not so much a problem coming from a 5D2. It's a huge improvement. But I prefer the layout on my 5D3 better.

If you can't shoot with the best from either Canon or Nikon, then you should quit. :)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 04, 2012 15:40 |  #21

nicksan wrote in post #14670510 (external link)
Well, the issue with the 1DIII was what prompted folks to jump to Nikon from what I recall. Fortunately, I have never had issues with the 2 I owned. The 7D I owned briefly so I can't really speak for it, but it's not uncommon to read about AF issues. Otherwise, while the AF on the 5D2 is basic, the center AF point is solid. The 1D4 has a solid AF system except when shooting in low light in AI servo. That was a show stopper for me. The 5D3 has been fantastic. The best AF system I've used to date. I suspect the 1DX will top that by a decent margin. So I'd say Canon has gotten their act together.

I found the Nikon AF (D700, D3, and D3s) to be solid. The only thing I didn't like was that the cross type AF points are clustered in the center columns. Not so much a problem coming from a 5D2. It's a huge improvement. But I prefer the layout on my 5D3 better.

If you can't shoot with the best from either Canon or Nikon, then you should quit. :)

I had focus issues with the 20D, 30D, 40D, 7D (which Canon said "hey we really improved the focus system"). I didn't like the 5D series, it felt really slow and clunky, and the little I used it focus was slow, though usually reasonably accurate. The 1D3 I used for a couple of weddings was better than the 7D in some ways, worse in others - the 1D3 was better for static subjects, the 7D better for moving subjects. I suspect lenses play a part as well.

As for "use the most expensive equipment or give up" I strongly disagree with that. If I buy a $3000 camera I expect it to focus, that's its main job. Nikon can do it, and now Canon can do it on the 5D3 and latest 1D, I hope they start putting the technology from their new AF system into the lower end cameras as well.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 04, 2012 22:16 |  #22

There are no cameras in either the Canon or Nikon camp worthy of a jump. It would be retarded and expensive to do so just because you want a particular body from the other side. Both sides have fantastic offerings, and both have their issues. Neither is perfect.

If you are with Canon, stick with Canon. If you are with Nikon, stick with Nikon. There is always a wave of people who switch back and forth, but over the long haul, it's even and neither side is gaining a larger share. For example, there was a HUGE HUGE exodus of Nikon users who moved to Canon when the 5D was current. Then most of them went back once the D3 and D700 came out, and some canon users moved too. Some people switched to Nikon over the whole 1D3 issue (which was grossly overblown thanks to Galbraith). A lot of them moved back with the 5D3, and has even gained some lifetime Nikon users. Many Nikon users who were also offering video switched to Canon as it's well known that Canon video offerings, capabilities and features are well ahead of Nikon's, and the gap has only widened further with Canon's new Cine line of lenses. So really, neither camp is really "gaining ground" on the other. People move back and forth but it's even overall. Just stick with your camp and know that even if they have a poor release, it won't always be that way.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Bond_Savingsbond
THREAD ­ STARTER
893 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 06, 2012 16:03 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #23

Sigh, I guess It's simply gear lust for me. Once I get back my 2nd 5DMK II from the shop, I will probably end up keeping it for a while longer and stick a grip on it.

Thanks again everyone.

500px (external link)
My website (external link)
CAMTOGRAPHY (external link)
Fuji X-T2, xf18-55, Samyang 135 (heavy), Nikon 105(dirty), Vivitar 75-205, Helios 56(Fixed),Pentax 50 F1.9 (dirty)

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 06, 2012 18:41 as a reply to  @ Bond_Savingsbond's post |  #24

I really wish I had two 5D3s. I really, really wish I had two 1DXs. But for now I can't say with a straight face that my 5DIIs are holding me back, so I'm going to hold for a while. Jan 2014 would be the earliest I'll make a jump, probably 2015.

I am really happy that 5DCs are super attainable now and 5DIIs are fairly attainable. I'm not a total fanboy, but I do love the 5D series. I miss my 5DC.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 09, 2012 11:37 |  #25

tim wrote in post #14670483 (external link)
I also found with Canon I overshot and worried more about focus, which limited my creative ability.

true, i overshoot and lose sleep over focus shooting with my equipment :(

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 09, 2012 11:48 |  #26

save your money and buy the 5DmkIII later. i think it would be advantageous to have 2 bodies at your disposal when shooting events and weddings. having 2 systems ( canon and nikon) would be expensive.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,214 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MK III upgrade or D800?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.