Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 09 Jul 2012 (Monday) 14:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Continental Cup Soccer...

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 09, 2012 14:07 |  #1

My middle son was fortunate enough to compete in this international event and despite some close losses, we all came away pretty stoked. Over 3,000 athletes from the US, Canada, Rwanda, Liberia, Bahrain, Curacao, Puerto Rico (oaky so US still), Bermuda, Colombia, and several other nations competed in 100+ temps over several days here in Cleveland. Truly a world class event which included a fantastic opening ceremonies at Cleveland Browns stadium.

Here's a few shots from our match vs Puerto Rico and Rwanda vs Cleveland United in the 18's (Rwanda is the real deal btw, top class soccer which led them to an undefeated win of their division).

IMAGE: http://www.sephotos.net/img/s1/v48/p901322550-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.sephotos.net/img/s2/v52/p849574714-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.sephotos.net/img/s1/v48/p940796803-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.sephotos.net/img/s2/v53/p1038895015-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.sephotos.net/img/s1/v48/p963230321-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.sephotos.net/img/s2/v53/p700285924-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.sephotos.net/img/s1/v49/p1023325789-4.jpg

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
RustyHammer
685 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 09, 2012 14:12 |  #2

Great shots ... superb action

Gear List

VinnyC01
"throw pies at me! "
1,176 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 09, 2012 14:24 |  #3

Awesome work Scott. Excellent exhibit of the importance of facial expressions in these.

CANON Mark 1D IV & 5D Mark III; 300/2.8L IS; 70-200/2.8L IS; 24-70 f/2.8L; 85/1.8; 50/1.4;1.4x; 580EX II;
MCVProductions.net (external link); Sports Shooter; (external link) MaxPreps (external link); Facebook; (external link) Flickr; (external link)

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 09, 2012 14:26 as a reply to  @ RustyHammer's post |  #4

I know you want No. 1 and 4 to be keepers, but due to distracting background elements and other players half in/out of the frame, sadly they should be passed over while editing.

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

namasste
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 09, 2012 15:19 |  #5

Thanks guys. Yeah, #4 is one that I REALLY wanted but you are absolutely correct due to backgrounds. One is cluttered as well and unfortunately, I was more concerned with the sun location than background on that one. Admittedly, my concentration was off due to the fact that temps had been in the triple digits for a couple days and I think my head was quite in it as much as usual.

Gear List

ajaffe
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 09, 2012 16:18 |  #6

African countries are no joke. A lot of those kids do not have any distractions to pull them away from playing with a ball, and at the same time playing with a ball is their distraction from some of the social issues taking place. It is inspiring stuff.

www.jaffe.photo

gvg45
534 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 09, 2012 16:27 |  #7

VinnyC01 wrote in post #14692751 (external link)
Awesome work Scott. Excellent exhibit of the importance of facial expressions in these.

+1. Great job of catching the expressions on the kids faces. The emotion really adds to the shots.

~Greg

namasste
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 09, 2012 16:43 |  #8

Thanks again guys.

@ Aaron, you are absolutely correct. My two youngest sons are Ethiopian and people are amazed at what they can do with a ball. They hold their own against much older kids all the time. Thing is, when you grow up and you kick a ball made of plastic bags and garbage with bare feet, well, you know where this is going. Funny, my 8 year old actually does better without shoes on than with. To us, that kwas (ball in Amharic) represents a whole lot more than simply a game. Its pretty cool that you see that as well bud, thanks for the comments.

Gear List

ajaffe
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 09, 2012 21:21 |  #9

Scott, you actually just hit on something I have been doing a lot of research on lately. I am a huge soccer boot snob and I always notice when pros use certain brands or certain not-for-public sole plates. As I dug deeper I found out that a lot of players grew up playing barefoot. Much like these guys: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=2LdhTnBS08Q (external link)

In the US and other countries that have more disposable income shoes have actually inhibited peak athletic performance and have potentially led to more injuries such as ACLs and the like. This is why we see so many brands going the same route as Nike is with the Free series, to recreate a barefoot ride.

Back to Africa though, do you ever go there? I have a couple of friends helping to build an academy in Malawi.

www.jaffe.photo

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 10, 2012 00:48 |  #10

Nice work Scott, don't have anything to add to the critique already posted but that neon blue ball threw me for a bit..! :)

Joel

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 10, 2012 10:47 |  #11

2 and 3 are super shots. 7 would be great if it didn't look like one player was an amputee (unless he is?).
The others lack the composition (too many backs, chopped off players).

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

namasste
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 10, 2012 11:02 |  #12

Hannya wrote in post #14696757 (external link)
2 and 3 are super shots. 7 would be great if it didn't look like one player was an amputee (unless he is?).
The others lack the composition (too many backs, chopped off players).

thanks for the crit, always helps!

Gear List

namasste
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 10, 2012 11:02 |  #13

joeblack2022 wrote in post #14695101 (external link)
Nice work Scott, don't have anything to add to the critique already posted but that neon blue ball threw me for a bit..! :)

Thanks Joe. I'm with you on the ball color, I'm a fan of the traditional white with just a little color.

Gear List

namasste
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 10, 2012 11:45 |  #14

ajaffe wrote in post #14694479 (external link)
Back to Africa though, do you ever go there? I have a couple of friends helping to build an academy in Malawi.

Aaron, I tend to agree with you on the shoe thing. Spoke with a young lady recently who has transitioned to minimalist shoes over the last year or so and she made a lot of sense. Her theory is simply that the shoes overcompensate so much that you actually become more prone to injury since there isn't that natural balance to things in your stride (ie other muscle groups, ligaments, etc) which are designed to accommodate the natural stride. Instead, we "fix" problems with shoes but in the process, create other problems. She almost gave up running due to knee and lower back problems. Now that she's using minimalist shoes, she's running completely healthy and faster than ever.

Back to Africa though...yes, we have gone a few times and are going back. Probably Kenya next summer to work with a group called Care for Aids and then Ethiopia on a somewhat "regular" basis for a variety of reasons. Africa is one of those things that really gets into your soul once you've been there. Despite some things that don't fit the traditional definition of beautiful, its got a beauty that is hard to really understand unless you've experienced it yourself. I really miss Ethiopia and can't wait to get back. Eh-wud-EH-halhehu ine konjo Ethiopia! You should tag along on one of trips, some great photo ops here and there in Africa :D

Gear List

sponsored links

2,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
Continental Cup Soccer...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.