Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 10 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 07:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New wedding site/blog, please critique

tnis0612
233 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 10, 2012 07:54 |  #1

My top 4 goals for my site and blog are (in no particular order) that it be:

Fast
Easy to navigate
Professional
Shows quality of work

I'm still working on two things, getting the drop down menu to not be so spaced, and adding more photos to the portfolio sections.

Would love to hear things you like/dont like. If you have trouble loading it or if it is slow please let me know, and let me know what browser and type of connection you have. Thanks!

http://www.stevenandli​lyphotography.com/ (external link)

5d Mark II, 7D
17-40L, 35L, 50L, 85 1.8, 70-200 2.8L IS II
www.stevenandlilyphoto​graphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
DanFrank
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 10, 2012 08:05 |  #2

I actually REALLY like it. Simple, easy to move around. To the point. "NO MUSIC". Good job!
Can I ask, how many of those shot were taken with your 7D and an "L" lens?

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

tnis0612
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 10, 2012 08:18 |  #3

DanFrank wrote in post #14695996 (external link)
I actually REALLY like it. Simple, easy to move around. To the point. "NO MUSIC". Good job!
Can I ask, how many of those shot were taken with your 7D and an "L" lens?

Thanks! Out of everything (blog, portfolio, etc) probably 25% were with the 7D, 75% with the 5d2 and probably 90% with an L lens and 10% with the 85 1.8.

5d Mark II, 7D

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 10, 2012 09:05 |  #4

Love the design. Beautiful. Clean.

Few things I noticed:

Right away, when I load your site the first thing I see is your logo and not your slideshow, which is slightly cut off on my screen. I like to see a large image first. I also have to scroll down to see the portfolio thumbnails. I'm using a 22 inch widescreen monitor at 1680x1050 for your reference. It might look more put together if you could see it all at once (my website has this same problem and I'm trying to fix it).

When in a section like Weddings, if you use the drop down menu, the first option sometimes cuts off the title of the section you're in. I thought the large spacing was purposely used to avoid obscuring most of the title, but if you plan on making the menu spacing smaller, I'd look out for completely covering the section title.

I think it's a little weird to have a facebook comments section on your pricing page.

While looking at any of your main pages (info, about, contact, blog) I wish there was an option to directly select a portfolio, like weddings, instead of making me click the Home page, scroll down, and click on the Weddings thumbnail. Also might not be intuitive to some visitors.

Really like the Contact Us drop down. Cool!

Also really like the way you set up portfolio galleries. I love having a mini preview (can those be a bit bigger?) so I can select what I want to see, instead of being forced to sit through a slideshow or clicking --> repeatedly.

tnis0612
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 10, 2012 09:25 |  #5

mirrorrim wrote in post #14696243 (external link)
Love the design. Beautiful. Clean.

Few things I noticed:

Right away, when I load your site the first thing I see is your logo and not your slideshow, which is slightly cut off on my screen. I like to see a large image first. I also have to scroll down to see the portfolio thumbnails. I'm using a 22 inch widescreen monitor at 1680x1050 for your reference. It might look more put together if you could see it all at once (my website has this same problem and I'm trying to fix it).

When in a section like Weddings, if you use the drop down menu, the first option sometimes cuts off the title of the section you're in. I thought the large spacing was purposely used to avoid obscuring most of the title, but if you plan on making the menu spacing smaller, I'd look out for completely covering the section title.

I think it's a little weird to have a facebook comments section on your pricing page.

While looking at any of your main pages (info, about, contact, blog) I wish there was an option to directly select a portfolio, like weddings, instead of making me click the Home page, scroll down, and click on the Weddings thumbnail. Also might not be intuitive to some visitors.

Really like the Contact Us drop down. Cool!

Also really like the way you set up portfolio galleries. I love having a mini preview (can those be a bit bigger?) so I can select what I want to see, instead of being forced to sit through a slideshow or clicking --> repeatedly.

Excellent tips and I completely agree with all of them! I'll be making some changes to address some of those.

5d Mark II, 7D

facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 10, 2012 09:46 |  #6

I like the canvas texture background. I would have like to see some more variety in the portfolio. It's needs more formals...

Of the 17 shots in your wedding album, I like numbers 6, 8, 9, 10, and 15. Favorite probably the jumping photo. I would lead with that one or a new shot of a couple at the alter. Some of the other ones I would not include in the portfolio (thinking numbers 4 and 11) I would fix the colors in 13 and 14. The greens look off to me.

Like the layout and agree with the above poster regarding functionality.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 10, 2012 14:57 |  #7

I think you need a menu for galleries. It took me a minute to find them, hidden way down low on your home page. Also that huge header pushes the content down heaps, i'd make it smaller. Put more text on your home page for SEO, see mine for details. I might change the page title so it doesn't have the page name at the start, it doesn't make much sense that way.

Overall I like it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 16, 2012 20:18 |  #8

I like it. The whole page shows up at once on my 17" MacBook Pro (which is always set to its max resolution of 1920 x 1200) and I like the large images in your slideshow.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 17, 2012 14:44 |  #9

tim wrote in post #14697971 (external link)
I think you need a menu for galleries. It took me a minute to find them, hidden way down low on your home page. Also that huge header pushes the content down heaps, i'd make it smaller. Put more text on your home page for SEO, see mine for details. I might change the page title so it doesn't have the page name at the start, it doesn't make much sense that way.

Overall I like it.

I agree with this. Either that or make your Gallery icons appear on each page. For instance, if I go to your "FAQ" page and then want to look at your wedding portfolio, as it is right now, I have to go all the way back to your home page. It would be great to be able to just move from one page to the next without backing up.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

slg13
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 19, 2012 13:39 |  #10

What a beautiful, uncluttered site. Did you do all the work on it?

I agree with the idea of putting links to your portfolio on each page and adding some copy to your homepage for SEO purposes.

The one thing that stands out in a weird way is the word "Blog" up top. Any reason it doesn't match the other buttons? I'm assuming this isn't a browser issue (I'm using IE 9). The buttons look great, but did you play around with making them a different shade? Right now they kind of fade away into the background, but we obviously know where to find them because menu options are typically at the top of the page. Same goes for the Facebook link on the far left. I use a widescreen, and it gets lost over there, mostly because it is very close to the background color.

But overall you did a really nice job with the site!

sponsored links

1,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
New wedding site/blog, please critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.