Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Want to wrap my hood in carbon or somethine

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 10, 2012 16:02 |  #61

Valencia Photography wrote in post #14697651 (external link)
I don't get the people hating this stuff. I'm a pretty hardcore "ricer" hater when it comes to cars. But, a layer of skin on a lens hood seems stupid to make a fuss over. There aren't a lot of ways to personalize a camera anyway. It's better than puke green or primer gray body panels on a civic with 90HP.

Well, not trying to speak for anyone else, but every time this CF hood talk pops up again in a new thread I just have to roll my eyes and ask why anyone would want any part of their camera to look like a 1995 Honda Civic hatchback?!

The equipment is amazingly cool looking right out of the box. Added to that that there is zero functionality gained by wrapping a lens hood in vinyl, it becomes just as sill as these were/are: LINK (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.gariz.com/image/40D12.jpg

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 10, 2012 16:10 |  #62

ben_r_ wrote in post #14698275 (external link)
... Added to that that there is zero functionality gained by wrapping a lens hood in vinyl, it becomes just as sill as these were/are: LINK (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

I had no idea they were doing this stuff. I like the idea of personalizing the looks of mass produced products or customizing them for their own sake. That link offers a lot of neat ideas. Thanks.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 10, 2012 16:15 |  #63

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14698308 (external link)
I had no idea they were doing this stuff. I like the idea of personalizing the looks of mass produced products or customizing them for their own sake. That link offers a lot of neat ideas. Thanks.

James.... you're killin me.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 10, 2012 16:21 |  #64

Way back in the mists of time, when cameras were made with metal casing panels there was a very similar trend. The norm was a hard-wearing satin chrome. For an additional premium (10% ?, can't really recall), you could buy the 'professional' version. The difference? Black paint over brass which wore off along the edges and especially round the neckstrap lugs. Shortly after purchase, you had a camera which looked well scuffed. It was pretty normal to see the brass showing through all over the place. Really chewed into the resale value. And folks paid extra for this built-in scruffy feature?

Personally, I've got more in my life than acquiring the latest posing 'bling'. Others want to, let 'em but not me. But then again, I don't sit polishing my little treasures either - they're tools to do a job and nothing more.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 10, 2012 16:29 |  #65

I forgot about this link. There's some pretty snazzy pics of CF wraps in there and a couple of CF dips. The latter look remarkable.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 10, 2012 17:23 |  #66

I think in the instance immediately above, the owner might have more usefully spent the time attending to the inside of the hoods - the bit which does the work. They're very pretty on the outside, but...........

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 10, 2012 17:26 |  #67

My hoods are wrapped in red gaffer tape with my name on it:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7078/7172887401_22ce2ce61c_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ocabj/717288740​1/  (external link)
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II with 70-200 LensBracelet (external link) by ocabj (external link), on Flickr

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

Lionel
721 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 10, 2012 19:32 |  #68

ocabj wrote in post #14698601 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ocabj/717288740​1/  (external link)
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II with 70-200 LensBracelet (external link) by ocabj (external link), on Flickr

Now your talking......

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 10, 2012 19:38 |  #69
bannedPermanent ban

Whortleberry wrote in post #14698588 (external link)
I think in the instance immediately above, the owner might have more usefully spent the time attending to the inside of the hoods - the bit which does the work. They're very pretty on the outside, but...........

Yep, mess up the insides so it does not trap stray light and your image quality degrades...but hey, it still looks cool and that's what it is all about these days.:D

mo5751
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 10, 2012 19:39 |  #70

I understand everyone has oppinions but some people here seme to be ANTI-CF hood. Like you seriously hate it i dont get why its just how people customize cars with body kits or even your body with tattoos

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 10, 2012 21:56 |  #71

I don't care either way. I come from car forums where they laugh at you for doing "rice" mods. Show them some custom CF work and they all bow down, but use vinyl and they point and laugh. Not everybody has the money or the means to make custom CF panels.

I don't see the big deal. If you want to stand out or even want to be able to identify your own gear (like ocabj), who cares? Lots of people use LensCoats on their lenses when they're out in nature. Should they take them off as soon as they get back in the city?

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 10, 2012 22:31 |  #72

I might see if someone around here will make me a custom copy of my hoods in carbon. I'm guessing any shop that can make something out of fiberglass can make it out of carbon.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 11, 2012 03:55 |  #73

Saint728 wrote in post #14699853 (external link)
I might see if someone around here will make me a custom copy of my hoods in carbon. I'm guessing any shop that can make something out of fiberglass can make it out of carbon.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

I'd love to hear if you find someone willing.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 11, 2012 04:22 |  #74

Saint728 wrote in post #14699853 (external link)

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

its probable but be careful that the threads used to connect the hoods to the lens are made properly or they might break (unlikely since they are carbon) or not line up properly.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 11, 2012 08:32 |  #75

ocabj wrote in post #14698601 (external link)

Do you have different colored tape to go with different colored shirts? ;)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

sponsored links

14,819 views & 0 likes for this thread
Want to wrap my hood in carbon or somethine
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.