Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 16:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What about Sigma

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 10, 2012 21:17 |  #16

Steve of Cornubia wrote in post #14699178 (external link)
Go to a racetrack with a professional racing driver. Give him a Toyota sedan and you get in a Porsche. Chances are, he'd still beat you. However, when YOU drive both cars, chances are you'll be quicker in the Porsche. Does this mean the Toyota is a bad car? Absolutely not. Whether the Porsche is worth the price premium only the buyer can say, because we all value performance differently.

And most of us can't afford a Porsche, but we still manage to get to work on time........

Not a fan of this analogy. I think there are some Canon lenses that are as you describe but there are other cases where Sigma and possibly others offer lenses that are better than Canon or have features that Canon does not offer.

I will agree that purchasing the best leans for a job is the way to go, but that lens is not always made by Canon.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

sponsored links
jnaks
474 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 10, 2012 21:21 |  #17

^^ beautiful shot, L.J.G.

As for the topic at hand, I'd say that Sigma is a good brand. You'll get quality lenses from them at discounted prices compared to their Canon counterparts. I would say at the upper echelon of the L lenses is where you start seeing a noticeable difference. But it's still about the person behind the lens. Companies like Sigma have 5 year warranties...use it and let them fix it if it's not great off the bat...but again, you didn't pay for that build quality, and quite frankly; the consumers with issues are still in the vast minority. Til the day I sold it, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 was one of my favorite lenses.

If you can read this, you don't need a macro | 7D + 5DIII + Waaaay too much spent....

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 10, 2012 21:25 |  #18

Steve of Cornubia wrote in post #14699178 (external link)
Go to a racetrack with a professional racing driver. Give him a Toyota sedan and you get in a Porsche. Chances are, he'd still beat you. However, when YOU drive both cars, chances are you'll be quicker in the Porsche. Does this mean the Toyota is a bad car? Absolutely not. Whether the Porsche is worth the price premium only the buyer can say, because we all value performance differently.

There's a whole spectrum of glass out there and this analogy only holds when comparing Canon's best to Sigma's worst. Your analogy also holds for comparing different models of Canon's own lenses. There are plenty of Sigma lenses that are extremely high end and high performing so that would be like comparing Porsche to Audi and others where the analogy is more like Toyota vs Hyundai.

The point is you can't really make blanket statements without knowing the specific lenses in question.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 10, 2012 21:28 |  #19

I wouldn't say there is Canon premium. In general the more expensive Canon lenses are worth their money.

But not all Canons are more expensive. Many of us love to hate the EF 50mm f/1.4. The slightly more expensive Sigma is better in some ways.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 10, 2012 21:29 |  #20

Careful there pilgrim. Hyundai is making some pretty good cars.

Gallery (external link)
More Wag, Less Bark

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 10, 2012 21:31 |  #21

Tom_D wrote in post #14699610 (external link)
Careful there pilgrim. Hyundai is making some pretty good cars.

I didn't say they weren't. Just like Sigma is making some pretty good lenses. It was more a point that both brands make low and high end models and some wouldn't even belong in the racetrack analogy.

Taylor

Steve ­ of ­ Cornubia
459 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 10, 2012 21:35 |  #22

Analogies never work with pedants ;-)a

5D MK3, 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 16-35mm f/2.8L, EF 1.4x TC MKIII, Nissin Di866 II, Nissin Di466
I hate being bipolar. It's great.

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 10, 2012 21:45 |  #23

tkbslc wrote in post #14699617 (external link)
I didn't say they weren't. Just like Sigma is making some pretty good lenses. It was more a point that both brands make low and high end models and some wouldn't even belong in the racetrack analogy.

I bought a Kia not long ago so I may be a bit sensative. :)

Gallery (external link)
More Wag, Less Bark

ZeroSkylineX
101 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 10, 2012 22:42 |  #24

breney wrote in post #14698409 (external link)
Hi all

Is there anything wrong with using 3rd party lenses such as sigma and tamron. They don't carry the canon "premium" price wise, but is there a difference in quality? I've heard of people who would steer away from anything 3rd party.

That's a terrible theory...just because it's 3rd party doesn't mean you should think it's wrong. That's like saying you should stick with one brand for the rest of life for each category. Price wise, have you ever heard of paying for the brand name? In this case, just because the prices are so different, does not reflect on the quality. Nor should you EVER think, that the lower the price, the lower the quality (brand wise, given the same specs). Sigma and Tamron are not as sharp as Canon lenses but they are still excellent products providing high image quality (hardly a difference imo). 3rd party lenses are known for filling up needs that Canon does not provide, more variety and choices for demanding consumers like us.

A $450 belt would do the exact same job as $9 one, the only difference would be the quality and the looks. Notice the price range? Good, now compare a $450 Louis Vuitton belt and a $9 belt from Wal-mart and tell me how much a difference you see in holding your pants up.

Canon Rebel 600D/T3i | 580EX II
Sigma EX 10-20mm f/3.5| EX 17-50mm f/2.8 OS| EX 50mm f/1.4| EX 70-200mm f/2.8 II
---
500px (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 10, 2012 23:53 |  #25

Steve of Cornubia wrote in post #14699628 (external link)
Analogies never work with pedants ;-)a

At least not bad ones....:p

Taylor

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2012 01:26 |  #26

I think Sigma and Tamron could build good lenses too.
I read good things about their 180mm macro lenses. And the Sigma 50, 85, Tamron 90 are also well regarded.
In manual focus time some years ago some Sigma and Tamron lenses are very good.

But: At least Sigma has reengineered the Canon EF protocol (and use it for their own AF cameras). So there is the risk, that a lens bought today will not work with a camera Canon shows next Photokina in autumn 2012.
Probably Sigma is able and offers an update service, but it is not sure.
The same with the Sigma flashes - I have two that will not work right with a newer camera.
Some years ago Sigma lens users have this problem, a Canon EF protocol change make the older lens unable to stop down. Some lenses could be updatet with a newer chip, but not all. and I think not today. I have a Sigma 80-200/2.8 Apo - for this lens there is no chip update. I think it is only compatible with some first generation DSLR cameras.

As far as I know Tamron has the original Canon protocol licenced.

My reccomendation: For cheap lenses Sigma lenses are ok, but for expensiver lenses one need to know this problem. I would not reccomend to buy the Sigmonster lens and such.
Tamron is ok.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

les_au
739 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 11, 2012 04:17 |  #27

L.J.G. wrote in post #14699521 (external link)
Sigma 150-500 at 500mm and F6.3. I'm certainly not complaining now I have it sorted. The exif info tells me I was 10 meters away from the focus point, which would be the bird in the middle.

QUOTED IMAGE

I have 3 Sigma lenses, the 150-500 which I will admit I do have a love hate relationship with - mainly because of its low light issues. It does prefer good light to perform like it did above.

I also have a 50 F1.4, which the first copy went back, the second produces stunning images that just make me so glad I sold my Canon 50 F1.4 and replaced it with the Sigma.

Lastly an 85 F1.4, which is also as sharp as a tack and delivers images that nearly look 3D. It focuses first time every time and is deadly accurate. On the performance of these I have just ordered a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 because I am sick of waiting for the Canon 24-70 mark 2 to come out, so we will see how it goes as well.

The only thing I suggest is buy with local warranty. With some HK grey market sellers you have to send a problem lens back overseas for a claim. I buy from a local camera store & just go back there for warranty issues - and with Sigma they just swap it for a new lens, no questions asked.

a bit OT but sigma's australian service agent won't deal grey market lenses, even out of warranty it seems. i dropped my 150-500 and called CR Kennedy, first qustion i got was is the lens gray market

gear list

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 11, 2012 09:18 |  #28

Sprout Crumble wrote in post #14698425 (external link)
Sigma and Tamron make some superb lenses. Sigma also make lenses with ranges that Canon don't even offer.

x2. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work! (external link)

lvph2
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 11, 2012 09:37 |  #29

XxDJCyberLoverxX wrote in post #14701464 (external link)
x2. Took the words right out of my mouth.

x3. I don't currently own a 3rd Party lens now, but I have in the past.

I had a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 when I had a Rebel XT(350D) and I loved it. I wouldn't hesitate to own another one for my 5D II either. I also had a Sigma 30mm, Tamron 17-50mm and loved both of those lenses as well.

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8
- Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 Cont.
- Tokina 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 11, 2012 09:40 |  #30

I've used both Sigma and Tamron with good results, but I stick to Canon lenses lately. Why compromise?

sponsored links

4,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
What about Sigma
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.