Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 06:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Labs New Strap

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 08, 2012 12:22 |  #76

Jon wrote in post #14544942 (external link)
But that's the whole clamp, including a plate. Attach the LL strap to the clamp, not the plate, and use the clamp QR to attach/remove the camera from the strap, if you're comfortable with Manfrotto's clamp locking mechanism.

Jon, do you have personal experience with a Manfrotto failure? I've been using it for years and find it perfectly safe while lugging some very heavy and expensive gear over my shoulder. I wouldn't do that if I wasn't comfortable with the safety of the system.

Twice you brought it up. I believe you're an Arca Swiss fan but I see no reason to insinuate that the Manfrotto system is less than safe. It certainly has been in my experience. What gives on that?

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

sponsored links
Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 08, 2012 12:59 |  #77

I don't have my tripod plate installed unless I'm using a tripod that day.

It's easier to fit the camera in a bag and obvioulsy, the camera is lighter.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 08, 2012 16:19 |  #78

luciddreamer wrote in post #14550826 (external link)
Jon, do you have personal experience with a Manfrotto failure? I've been using it for years and find it perfectly safe while lugging some very heavy and expensive gear over my shoulder. I wouldn't do that if I wasn't comfortable with the safety of the system.

Twice you brought it up. I believe you're an Arca Swiss fan but I see no reason to insinuate that the Manfrotto system is less than safe. It certainly has been in my experience. What gives on that?

I used it for a number of years. The clamp wasn't designed to be used on a sling, swinging back and forth. The locking pin's not immune to snagging, nor is the lever. I consider it more responsible to advise the user that the possibility of a malfunction exists than to blithely assure him that nothing can go wrong. Even the people using A-S clamps on their BR or Luma slings generally recommend using the screw-type clamps rather than the lever release ones to minimize risk of failure, and there's no screw-type option for Manfrotto.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 08, 2012 16:26 |  #79

I appreciate your time and replies Jon.

Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 08, 2012 20:51 |  #80

Jon wrote in post #14551908 (external link)
I used it for a number of years. The clamp wasn't designed to be used on a sling, swinging back and forth. The locking pin's not immune to snagging, nor is the lever. I consider it more responsible to advise the user that the possibility of a malfunction exists than to blithely assure him that nothing can go wrong. Even the people using A-S clamps on their BR or Luma slings generally recommend using the screw-type clamps rather than the lever release ones to minimize risk of failure, and there's no screw-type option for Manfrotto.

I do use the larger model (forget what it's called). Can't speak for the smaller one shown but the one I use has a locking mechanism that I usually struggle getting unlocked. I do use it on a sling at times. Can't imagine it ever coming undone. Perhaps the smaller unit is not as secure.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 09, 2012 00:32 |  #81

You use the RC4 then? Didn't use that, since it's such a poor match (with the overhang) to the camera, making hand-held use awkward at best.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 09, 2012 21:18 |  #82

Jon wrote in post #14553526 (external link)
You use the RC4 then? Didn't use that, since it's such a poor match (with the overhang) to the camera, making hand-held use awkward at best.

It's mounted on my lens mostly. I do put one on the body from time to time but have never had problems like many do. I simply slide it so it sticks out in the front. Not really a problem for me that way. Not perfect but works fine. I suppose if I ever get the money to upgrade to a Gimbal or video head for the big lens I'll need to change the QR system.

materialism ~

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 11, 2012 14:30 |  #83

for those of you w/ the cinch, did you find that the sizing guide
was "some what" accurate?

I'm 5'8 160lbs and went w/ the small, but doubting myself and
thinking I should have gone w/ a regular.

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 11, 2012 15:07 |  #84

json,

That's a tough one.... I'd call them and ask. I have a regular and I'm 6'1"/205. It was a bit tight on me until I added the membrane connector and some quick releases on both ends. Now it's perfect. Either email Greg or give them a call: support@luma-labs.com (external link)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 11, 2012 15:12 |  #85

What ever happened to Greg (gakoenig) from Luma. He always had some very informative posts and was quite helpful. Haven't seen him in a while. Was he finally run off?

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 11, 2012 20:28 |  #86

He might have been, I know Pekka doesn't want this site to be an advertisement or support forum for vendors, I can't blame him since he pays for this site out of his own pocket. I wish Luma Labs had a forum or a more regular news feed on their site...maybe they do something with Facebook or twitter?

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 12, 2012 01:27 |  #87

Phoenixkh wrote in post #14703036 (external link)
json,

That's a tough one.... I'd call them and ask. I have a regular and I'm 6'1"/205. It was a bit tight on me until I added the membrane connector and some quick releases on both ends. Now it's perfect. Either email Greg or give them a call: support@luma-labs.com (external link)

thx phoenix, appreciate the input. I finally received response from greg, he said they need to change the language on their sizing and recommended a regular for me. Hopefully since I just placed my order that he could switch me out for a regular.

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 12, 2012 05:19 |  #88

Json,

If Greg said he would, he will. When I ordered mine, he set it up for me to get a membrane connector before the final version was decided upon.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 13, 2012 01:02 |  #89

Well, I've just placed my order for a regular Cinch + the membrane connector :)
Looking forward to receiving it in ~a month I'm guessing based on their backlog note.
Got a nice quick email reply from Greg after asking which size I should be ordering, so thanks Greg if you're reading this.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 13, 2012 08:01 |  #90

damn, i hope they can get me a membrane faster than a month!

Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

sponsored links

29,004 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Labs New Strap
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.