Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 11, 2012 23:32 |  #8416

One from tonight, shes a Junior Model for my studio.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

It had been raining all day and thankfully stopped for the exact hour we had our portrait! :)

Canon investor

sponsored links
jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 12, 2012 00:11 |  #8417

GerryDavid wrote in post #14702174 (external link)
Its my understanding you have to order $12 of 8x10's, $12 of 5x7's, $12 of 11x14's, etc. That you cant order $12 worth of mixed 8x10's, 5x7's, etc?

The only time you are limited is if you are ordering proofs. They are cheaper, but you have to order $12 of 4X5, $12 of 4X6, $12 of 5X7..etc.

However if you are only needing one 5X7 for a client. Go to the "Print Fulfillment - Lustre Paper" tab. You can order a single print and just pay for shipping. No minimum order. In that tab you are only able to order 11X14 or smaller. But If you really don't want to spend $12 that's the way you do it.

I use WHCC for most of my stuff. Especially the mounted prints.
I also use ACI for some of the other products such as wallet tins, license plate, etc.
(side note: ACI just wrapped up their National Children's Portrait Contest, and they called me today to tell me I took 2 - 1st place spots!! That results in $200 credit with ACI.....might be time to update samples!!!!)

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 12, 2012 00:43 |  #8418

congrats!

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

jb_browneyes
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 12, 2012 02:07 |  #8419

+1 for photobiz - it's easy, and you can change your plan at the drop of a hat. Since I went to in person sales I don't do too many on-line sales and therefore don't need as much room- I pay $25 a month for the site, and like $4 for the shoppong cart with no contract through Itransact although there is a percentage per transaction (NOTE TO SELF.. LOOK THAT PERCENTAGE UP..I can't remember off hand, but it's CHEAP)

bobbyz wrote in post #14704780 (external link)
Mike - I went to the link to your site but when you click on ordering, other things, they all go to photobiz. Branding wise nice to have everything look like it coming from your main site, there shouldn't be mention of others site.

bobby if the branding is a problem you can (for an additional fee) have an unbranded website.

jmalonear wrote in post #14704980 (external link)
I also use ACI for some of the other products such as wallet tins, license plate, etc.

(side note: ACI just wrapped up their National Children's Portrait Contest, and they called me today to tell me I took 2 - 1st place spots!! That results in $200 credit with ACI.....might be time to update samples!!!!)

WAY TO GO Jay!!!! that's GREAT!

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 12, 2012 04:32 |  #8420

Dave Jr wrote in post #14703813 (external link)
Except that they take 15% of your net profit.

Only on Print Orders.

And the automation of everything is worth that in my mind.

A client can order the prints and you never need to touch anything...

A 15% charge on that is fair in my mind. :-)

"Can't list equipment, wife checks here to see what I have bought lately" (calicokat)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 12, 2012 04:35 |  #8421

bobbyz wrote in post #14704784 (external link)
Mark them up by atleast 25% so you don't care for the 15% fees.:D

Indeed...

Costs should always be passed on to the customer.

Anything that reduces my time is valuable in my mind as time is my biggest commodity.

All subjective of course, but I like someone else managing my backend systems so that I can concentrate on the photography.

Managing my own website took more time than I ever suspected.

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

Eight ­ Oak ­ Acres
224 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 12, 2012 08:03 |  #8422

I bought my website template from, and host with Bludomain. It only costs me $100 a year for Bludomain to host it. It's a great Flash site...easy to use (no code writing) and has a cart feature that I run through paypal. So, other than paypal fees...no percent of my picture sales goes to anyone but me. I've had it for 2 years and had zero problems/issues with it.

-Eric
Canon 7D, Canon 20D | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L | Canon EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | AB 800 w/ Cybersyncs and Vagabond Mini | AEO Lightning Strike II

http://eightoakacresph​otography.com/ (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 12, 2012 08:05 |  #8423

mtimber wrote in post #14705561 (external link)
Indeed...

Costs should always be passed on to the customer.

Anything that reduces my time is valuable in my mind as time is my biggest commodity.

All subjective of course, but I like someone else managing my backend systems so that I can concentrate on the photography.

Managing my own website took more time than I ever suspected.

But its my way of thinking that you should keep your expenses down as much as possible, that way you have a greater profit margin.

a customer may only be interested in spending say $200, so if you raise your prices to cover new expenses they could either be scared away at the higher prices or buy less prints and your net profit after the new expenses would be less than otherwise. :)

what I am thinking of doing is raising the prices by 20% and explain that they can save that 20% if they order through me in person, but there is a minimum $100 order for an in person picture viewing.

Canon investor

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 12, 2012 08:57 |  #8424

GerryDavid wrote in post #14705967 (external link)
But its my way of thinking that you should keep your expenses down as much as possible, that way you have a greater profit margin.

a customer may only be interested in spending say $200, so if you raise your prices to cover new expenses they could either be scared away at the higher prices or buy less prints and your net profit after the new expenses would be less than otherwise. :)

what I am thinking of doing is raising the prices by 20% and explain that they can save that 20% if they order through me in person, but there is a minimum $100 order for an in person picture viewing.

With photography being a "technician" type business, where your time is what you value, you have to weigh both factors.

Time + Money

And that is where companies like smugmug fit in.

They take a component of your workflow and manage it for you, so that you get time in exchange for them receiving money.

You are simply sub-contracting an element out, so that you can have the time that that element would tie up, back in your control.

And running your own website is not without cost.

The internet is changing constantly.

Smugmug handle all of those changes so that my product can appear on any platform, in any form of html and in any browser.

If Smugmug did not do that for me, I would have to do it myself (Time), or pay someone else to do it (Money).

So when considering your options, balance your "Time" needs which are usually quite demanding as a photographer against your "Money" needs.

A Technician style business has to figure out the correct balance between these two elements.

Mark :-)

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,399 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2012 09:13 |  #8425

Mark, for cheaper stuff I think it is ok but for expensive stuff like big canvas I agree with Mike that 15% get too much. Say the print order is $1000, SM is taking $150 to process. Shipping, print costs are deducted separately. If you had your own cart you will be taking in that $150.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 12, 2012 09:47 |  #8426

bobbyz wrote in post #14706224 (external link)
Mark, for cheaper stuff I think it is ok but for expensive stuff like big canvas I agree with Mike that 15% get too much. Say the print order is $1000, SM is taking $150 to process. Shipping, print costs are deducted separately. If you had your own cart you will be taking in that $150.

With Smug, you can print it yourself at cost and then pass it on to the customer at retail.

So they are not taking 15% of the retail, but 15% of the cost price.

That is my understanding anyway...

I could be wrong.

But on the subject of running your own cart, you still have to pay all the hidden costs of running a cart, including CC fees etc.

So again, it is down to each individual to consider time over money and which is the highest priority in each business case.

"Light travels faster than sound. Which is why people some people appear bright, until you hear them speak..."

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,399 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2012 09:51 |  #8427

mtimber wrote in post #14706358 (external link)
With Smug, you can print it yourself at cost and then pass it on to the customer at retail.

So they are not taking 15% of the retail, but 15% of the cost price.

That is my understanding anyway...

I could be wrong.

But on the subject of running your own cart, you still have to pay all the hidden costs of running a cart, including CC fees etc.

So again, it is down to each individual to consider time over money and which is the highest priority in each business case.

What prices self fulfillment shows? I think if client sees say $100, SM will charge $15. If client sees $10, they not going to pay you $100 later.

I haven't been on SM for 5 yrs so don't remember exactly how it works.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 12, 2012 10:07 |  #8428

mtimber wrote in post #14705554 (external link)
Only on Print Orders.

Mark, I am not sure what you mean by this, but they charge the 15% on everything sold through their cart, print sales, canvas, gift items.

Bobby, the way it works is...

$100 retail less the base cost of prints (say $20), profit would be $80, but they take 15% of the $80, you get $68.00.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 12, 2012 10:09 |  #8429

bobbyz wrote in post #14706380 (external link)
What prices self fulfillment shows? I think if client sees say $100, SM will charge $15. If client sees $10, they not going to pay you $100 later.

I haven't been on SM for 5 yrs so don't remember exactly how it works.

I just ordered one of my own prints and did not get charged 15% of the retail price as far as I can see... :-)

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you" (Belmondo)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 12, 2012 10:10 |  #8430

Dave Jr wrote in post #14706461 (external link)
Mark, I am not sure what you mean by this, but they charge the 15% on everything sold through their cart, print sales, canvas, gift items.

You can order any print at base cost to them and the printer, without any markup applied Dave.

Mark :-)

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

sponsored links

2,680,897 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.