Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 12 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reception - On AND off camera lights?

Buchinger
467 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 12, 2012 09:27 |  #1

Just curious, for those of you that use off camera strobes/flashes to illuminate the hall - do you also use an on camera flash for fill? Do you shoot it in ETTL with FEC or full manual? Examples?

sponsored links
StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 12, 2012 10:45 |  #2

I usually use two off camera strobes (set manually) with an on-camera speedlite for fill. I leave it in ETTL and don't usually need to mess with it. Sometimes I'll adjust + or - a bit if I'm farther away from the strobes, enter a part of the room with a low ceiling, etc. Sometime I play around with dragging the shutter too to gather more of the ambient light. Here are some recent examples using this setup:

IMAGE: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/938/img5662hs.jpg

IMAGE: http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1623/img6284b.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE: http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9020/img6460c.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE: http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/6749/img9454m.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE: http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/1081/img9472y.jpg

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 12, 2012 10:57 |  #3

I use two monolights as well, but use a manual speedlight on or off the hotshoe.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 12, 2012 11:35 |  #4

I have one flash on camera with flash-assist, and I wirelessly control an off-camera flash on a lightstand. Sometimes I use the on-cam to fill, sometimes I make the stylistic decision not to.

Here is an example of just using off-camera lighting--I decided I didn't need fill in this case because I was really happy with what the off-axis lighting was doing on its own:

IMAGE: http://www.christopherstevenb.com/img/s11/v37/p210027316-4.jpg

Another example from the same wedding where I'm using the off-camera flash as an f/x flash / for a backlighting effect. I'm also using the flash on my camera (430ex) to fill the subjects by bouncing from the ceiling:

IMAGE: http://www.christopherstevenb.com/img/s3/v39/p729609581-4.jpg

If you want to see more from the series you can check them out here (and feel free to ask me q's about how I set them up): Royal York Wedding (external link)

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Erwin ­ Beckers
36 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 12, 2012 11:59 |  #5

@StephenAndrew
Those are great pictures!!! Could please tell some more about how you place these offcamera lights.
- How do you place the lights ? Are they on opposite sites of the room some kind kind of cross-lighting
- Do you point them directly to the center of the dance floor, or do you feather them a bit , or do you bounce them via the white ceiling?
- How do you prevent any hard shadows or hard light??

Thx!

Erwin

facebook page:www.facebook.com/Erwin​BeckersFotografie (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 12, 2012 12:01 |  #6

Here's how I light my receptions: http://www.nicknphoto.​com/wedding-reception-lighting/ (external link)

Essentially 2 strobes to light up the room and on-camera 600-EX-RT + Demb Flip-it to light up the subject.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 12, 2012 12:37 |  #7

I use two strobes and on-camera 580ex for fill.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 12, 2012 13:26 |  #8

no on-camera fill for me - all off

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 12, 2012 14:34 |  #9

i use off camera flashes then an on camera light for fill
i use radio popper jrx's for radio controlling the ocf's, which work great because i can adjust them all on the fly without walking over to them, but they are still manually set.
problem is that they don't work super with a flash in the hotshoe on ettl, they generally fire too early that way.
so i usually have the on camera flash fill in manual too. which is actually easier than i was afraid of!

oh, and awesome examples above, by all!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 12, 2012 15:44 |  #10

Erwin Beckers wrote in post #14706894 (external link)
@StephenAndrew
Those are great pictures!!! Could please tell some more about how you place these offcamera lights.
- How do you place the lights ? Are they on opposite sites of the room some kind kind of cross-lighting
- Do you point them directly to the center of the dance floor, or do you feather them a bit , or do you bounce them via the white ceiling?
- How do you prevent any hard shadows or hard light??

Thx!

Erwin

Thanks man :)

Nicksan and I have very similar ways of lighting a reception, so definitely check out his link. As a matter of fact, photos 2, 4, and 8 in my post were weddings I second shot with Nick and his setup.

What and how I set stuff up is largely dependent on the venue - the space, ceiling height, color of the walls/ceiling, where there's room for a stand, etc. I try to get both strobes facing the dance floor from different angles so I can get light covering most areas from where I want to shoot. For instance, if I put two lights just a few feet away from each other on the left side of the room, shooting into the light from the right side will result in a very different photo than one taken from the left side shooting away from the light. Placing them in opposite corners is ideal, since you'll get much more even light with more consistency regardless of where on or around the dance floor you shoot from. If the walls are white or otherwise neutral, I can just use bare bulb to let the light bounce off the walls/ceiling to "flood" the room with light. Or, I'll use reflectors and point them towards the center of the room or dance floor if the walls are colored. Using bare bulb and "flooding" the room will make for softer shadows since light is being bounced all over. Using the reflectors will result in harder light and shadows since the light is more concentrated and directed. And the distance from the subject to the strobe will also determine how soft or harsh the light/shadows are. Hope this helps!

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 12, 2012 15:53 |  #11

Thanks for sharing Stephen!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 12, 2012 19:51 |  #12

Yes.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 12, 2012 20:44 |  #13

Tim has some great information:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=646469

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 13, 2012 12:49 |  #14

I like to use one or two off-camera strobes, strategically placed in the venue. Firstly, I want to have it placed to give nice lighting for the head table and/or podium, as that's where many of the photos will be taken. That same light also works great as a back light for shots of the guests as they listen/watch the proceedings.

For the dance/party part of the reception, I'll have another light (or move the first one). Depending on the location and the feel of the wedding, I might go for simply shooting the light into the ceiling for an artificial ambient boost, but I really like using a more direct light and placing it for hair/accent lighting.

So in either set up, I will also have a flash on-camera, usually for fill when the strobe is behind the subjects, but I'm quick to turn it off when the strobe gives good light on it's own.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centre (external link).
Blog (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 14, 2012 01:11 |  #15

nicksan wrote in post #14706902 (external link)
Here's how I light my receptions: http://www.nicknphoto.​com/wedding-reception-lighting/ (external link)

Essentially 2 strobes to light up the room and on-camera 600-EX-RT + Demb Flip-it to light up the subject.

Good stuff Nick...good stuff!

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

sponsored links

16,331 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reception - On AND off camera lights?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.