Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 17:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Doing some Photography abroad, what should I consider getting to take?

superclarkey
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 12, 2012 17:15 |  #1

Ok, bit of a random question I know, and i didn't really know where to post this so bare with me please.

I currently do Motorsport Photography and pictures of cars, so mainly car related stuff, but like anyone else I enjoy all forms of Photography and dabble where i can in new learning experiences.. I do photography as a hobby on the side (I actually own a motorsport garage myself lol)

So anyway I've got the opportunity to be paid to go to India for motorsport photography related gig for 1 week, and while there as I'm going with the film company/crew we are doing a fair amount of following around of the client ect, we will be visiting the Ladakh area with is amazing lakes and being one of the highest points fairly out of breath locations..

SO my question is what gear should i think about taking with me, buying ect, Will be doing everything from landscape to portraits ect.

Just some advice and 'ideas' would be great

Thinking like ND filters and some slide grads ?

Canon EOS 5D mk IV
Canon 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L USM mk II
Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L USM IS mk II

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2012 17:18 |  #2

Lets start with what do you have?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 12, 2012 17:23 |  #3

Canon 24-70mm F2.8
Canon 50mm F1.2
Canon 17-40mm F4
Canon 70-200mm F2.8 is mk2
6x 32GB Scakdisk CF cards
2x batterys
Charger for car for batteries
Pelican flight case 1510
Lens clearner stuff
Hoya HMC lens filters
ND Variable filter
Tripod (Think is 054 magnesium head manfrotto) with manfrotto legs

Think that is about it!

Canon EOS 5D mk IV

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 12, 2012 17:24 |  #4

On and i will be taking my MacBook pro 17" with me (early 2012 model)

Canon EOS 5D mk IV

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 12, 2012 17:27 |  #5

Two ff bodies
17-40
24-105
100-400
CPL
VND
MBP with LR4 and Nik suite

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 12, 2012 17:30 |  #6

Ok, I don't have 2 full frame bodies but i have two cameras so we good there ( I hope ) ( forgive me )

I forgot i have a Hoya CPL, but thus the first thing i need to get conversion rings so i can put them on all my lens.. so check

what is VND, MBP with LR4 and Nik Suite ? sorry I don't know all the slang so again for give me.

Canon EOS 5D mk IV

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2012 17:41 |  #7

superclarkey wrote in post #14708319 (external link)
what is VND, MBP with LR4 and Nik Suite ? sorry I don't know all the slang so again for give me.

VND: Variable Neutral Density Filter
MBP: MacBook Pro
LR4: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
Nik Suite: Nikon Nik Suite of Add-ons

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 12, 2012 17:53 |  #8

ben_r_ wrote in post #14708364 (external link)
VND: Variable Neutral Density Filter
MBP: MacBook Pro
LR4: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
Nik Suite: Nikon Nik Suite of Add-ons

haha, well I learnt some photography slang right there :) thanks.

I have a MB, I have LR4 (latest version), I have VND 77mm :D

Why Nikon Nik Suite of add-ons ?

So as thought i have the core basics so what else would be great to take with me :D

Canon EOS 5D mk IV

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2012 18:02 |  #9

superclarkey wrote in post #14708410 (external link)
Why Nikon Nik Suite of add-ons ?

Do some research on it, I have never used it personally, but from everything Ive read its supposed to be a pretty darn good set of tools.

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 12, 2012 18:09 |  #10

Ok, thanks.

I've been reading where I'm going, its the highest roads in the world at 18,000 feet, like 3/4 the height of everest which is right next to us so i'm told.. there is no cloud cover above us at this height..

so I'm thinking of doing some star time-lapse there, as it will be perfect location for it!! so any other ideas like this would be great as I'll have long nights where i'll have nothing better to do as there is no phone signal up there

Canon EOS 5D mk IV

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 12, 2012 20:12 |  #11

superclarkey wrote in post #14708471 (external link)
Ok, thanks.

I've been reading where I'm going, its the highest roads in the world at 18,000 feet, like 3/4 the height of everest which is right next to us so i'm told.. there is no cloud cover above us at this height..

so I'm thinking of doing some star time-lapse there, as it will be perfect location for it!! so any other ideas like this would be great as I'll have long nights where i'll have nothing better to do as there is no phone signal up there

bit of an OT. is that the road that was on ice road truckers? :)

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 12, 2012 20:29 |  #12

OT ?

This is like dealing with Text talk haha

I have no idea if its the same road as I rarely watch TV, I have heard of the program never watched it though.

I don't think the road is as high as I claimed, but its fairly high, depends where you read on how high they claim, all i know is where we are going we need a medical crew to go with us :)

Canon EOS 5D mk IV

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,166 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 12, 2012 22:51 as a reply to  @ superclarkey's post |  #13

superclarkey wrote in post #14708319 (external link)
Ok, I don't have 2 full frame bodies but i have two cameras so we good there ( I hope ) ( forgive me )

I forgot i have a Hoya CPL, but thus the first thing i need to get conversion rings so i can put them on all my lens.. so check

I wouldn't nickel dime yourself... Splurge and get a CPL for each lens you will be using. You are doing a paid gig, you don't want to have to switch filters every time you switch lenses. Additionally, you often have problems using lens hoods with adapter rings. Make sure that you have at least one lens hood for each of your lenses.

I also noticed that you haven't mentioned a flash. I would not dare take a trip like you are planning without a flash (probably two) that are high speed sync capable.

One of the most prevalent problems I see with most pictures of the people in India is that they lack flash fill. The light throughout much of India can be very harsh and the complexion of many Indians is rather dark. That is a recipe for disaster without fill flash!

Your Canon chargers and virtually all (if not all) notebook computers can function on the higher voltages used in India. However, I would strongly suggest that you buy an adapter for the electrical plugs. I believe that India uses the British form of electrical plug.

When I travel overseas, I bring a plug adapter that is suited to the type of plugs I will encounter. I also have a small and lightweight surge protector with four outlets. I plug the adapter into the wall power and then have four outlets which can receive male U.S. style plugs.

Another accessory that I would not be without is a pair of small physical size but, large capacity external hard drives. My workflow is to download from my CF cards to my computer each night and perform a cursory check to ensure that no equipment problems have surfaced during that days shooting. I then copy all my files to the pair of external hard drives. I always carry the hard drives in different places when I am traveling. One goes into my checked on suitcase and the other goes into my carry on camera bag. The reason for the separation should be self evident.

BTW: check with the airlines on which you will fly regarding weights and sizes of carry on luggage. Never travel with your photo gear in your checked on bag. I can carry my basic equipment (2 bodies, 3 lenses, 2 flashes, plus the accessories such as filters, batteries, chargers, CF cards, etc) in a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW backpack. When shooting, I prefer to carry my gear in a photo vest. Domke vests are better than many of the fly fishing vests that are sold as photography vests. I carry my cameras using a OPTECH Dual Harness which works great...

I can't see your initial posting as I am writing this but, if one of your cameras has a video capablity, using that capability in the lowest quality mode is a great way to identify your images. Simply shoot the secen and narrate the information. You will always have the narration connected to an image. If your cameras don't have video capability, a small inexpensive video camera like the Flip can be used to ID your shots. IMO, it is more efficient than using a tape recorder or writing down the information on a pad. I always seem to lose some of my notes.

I am guessing that you will not be traveling to India during the monsoon season. However, never-the-less, carry an OPTECH Rainsleeve for each camera along with a small roll of gaffers tape. The rainsleeve, taped closed with gaffers tape, is an effective barrier to dust and dirt. NOTE: don't substitute duct tape because it leaves a sticky residue. The Rainsleeves are dirt cheap and very light in weight. I always have a pair in the back pocket of my Domke Photo Vest...

Finally... Visit your doctor and explain that you are traveling to India and want a course of medications that will combat diarrhea. The runs can really destroy the fun of a trip...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 13, 2012 13:00 |  #14

Wow, thanks for all the advice mate, really appreciate it.

I have two CPL's so I will just get the for the rest of the lens, just ordered 2x 600rt canon flashes.

Both cameras have video modes, 5D Mk 3 and a 7D.

I'm traveling in one months time, I'm a bit confused on what the weather is going to be!

Canon EOS 5D mk IV

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 13, 2012 14:03 |  #15

You're up in north-west India, so you're well away from the back-end of the monsoon. August is a funny kind of month weatherwise; at altitude, you're going to get temperatures down to zeroº C at night with dayside temps varying from moderate (70ºF/20ºC) with occasional bursts up into the 90s.(30ºC). Skies are likely to be mostly blue and cloud-free. Likely . . .

As for CPLs, if you're up at around 12,000ft, your skies are going to be a fairly deep blue anyway, so that's one reason to leave them at home. Of course, for some, nothing succeeds like excess!.

btw - you're at the western end of the Himalaya; Everest is some 750 miles away, but you'll still in the territory to get several 7000-7500 metre mountains. Wide angles and telephotos both have their place in this milieu. And, yes, take a decent flash; you'll kick yourself if you don't. Take it easy at altitude; it'll take a week or 10 days to acclimatise.

Boil your water, do NOT be tempted towards iced drinks, since it's likely straight tap water; use bottled water to rinse when brushing teeth. And be prepared for the 'runs' - there's no way you're going to avoid Delhi Belly.

I lived high the Himalaya, near Darjeeling, for three years - I guarantee you'll be gob-smacked by the vistas and photographic opportunities.

Enjoy!

~ Wallace
Gear List

sponsored links

2,145 views & 0 likes for this thread
Doing some Photography abroad, what should I consider getting to take?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.